Author Topic: Hardcore Arena  (Read 9089 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Hardcore Arena
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
  Saburo Sakai shot down a P-39 that was flying straight and level for a long time. .

As I said, most pilots to whom the "did not see his attacker" comment is going to refer to are guys who were target fixated as Bob Doe had been or who simply didn't see their attacker.  This doesn't even mean that they never saw the guy, which they may well have as the formations approached each other, but did not seem him as he maneuvered into position and then attacked.

The need to constantly look around was not nearly emphasized as much as it ought to have been and many green pilots died that way.
Exactly!  In air combat, real life or cartoon life, it is imperative to constantly check six and belly check.  If this isn't done, it's only a matter of time before you get tapped.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
An alternate thought for the complex engine management:

Most of the "Nays" come from people who believe that this would be a significant turn-off to new players, which probably isn't an inaccurate assessment. More to manage means more to worry about outside of just shooting stuff down. However if you think about it, there's already a couple aspects where AH provides similar assistance for players by simplifying the game:

Auto Takeoffs, Stall Limiter, Combat Trim, and Engine Governor.

Players who can't quite manage getting their machine off the ground can turn on auto-takeoffs, while Stall Limiter protect them from spins they might not be able to get out of. Combat Trim makes it easier to quickly adjust aircraft trim to keep it level for gunnery purposes, while the Engine Governor stops the engines on WWI machines from over-revving in a dive and blowing out.

All of them (well, except Auto Takeoff) also give players who DON'T use them a slight advantage, whether by giving them better control over their aircraft's flight characteristics, letting them push deeper into a stall to get a few extra DPS or shave a few extra feet off the turn, or pushing a little extra speed out of a dive.

So why not make complex engine management the same way: A clipboard option that can be turned on or off. Players who want to use it can, and those who don't won't have to worry about it. Maybe a player might want to risk running his cowl flaps or radiator closed at high power settings to reduce drag for a couple extra mph. Or maybe squeeze a little extra range or power out of their engine by tweaking their fuel mixture at the risk of starving it or detonation.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »
Give it up Karnak. These fools are the AvA hijackers that were brainwashed by nrraven and the IL2 converts that have a never-failing pretentious belief that no-icons is the only thing that is realisitc, despite facts, details, historic accounts modern accounts, etc. These are the people that repeatedly turn to insults. The ONLY defense they have is to say "you are less of a person if you don't advocate no-icons" -- and they use this backhanded insult 100% of the time. Even when we've tried to explain the logical fallacy they are using and how this is an insult (even when it's a direct insult) they are so blind they cannot -- literally cannot -- understand they are simply insulting every person that doesn't agree with them. Time and time again many folks on this forum have tried and time and time again they simply ignore it and insult everyone.

And I was NOT exaggerating about IDing plane codes. Many's the time a downed pilot was recognized from a split-second glimpse of his plane, and seeing the codes on it. In a furball, a wild furball with planes zipping around and engaged all around, I've read many accounts where pilots recounted "so and so was up on my right, and I could see what's-his-name on my lower left engaging 2 more, and ahead of me I saw X and Y still in formation, and that's when I saw Z go down without so much as a word" -- this is quite common.

I can see the colors and livery of an airliner flying overhead at 50,000+, but in this game all you can see is a black blob that might vaguely be something with wings. I'm in a residential area that's quite a few miles from a local airport, and under the final approach leg. It's residential, though, so they have to stay a certain altitude up. I can still make out fine details, including oil stains, every detail on landing gears, engines, control surfaces, flaps, the windows, I can see inside the plane if it banks..... All while they're thousands of feet away.

Puma, you're just wrong. Dead flat absurdly wrong. As is Oldman. I'm not talking radar operators that don't know what a plane looks like. I'm talking people that stand in the tower looking out the windows. I'm not making sh** up like you and oldman are. There is actual science at work. The angle of light that hits the eye, the distance of the object, and what details can be distinguished from such things vs pixels on a screen. Somebody even took time to spell out the physics of it on these forums and you AvA hijackers simply ignored it, along with all the first-hand testimonials telling you you're all full of crap. At this point you, Puma, and Oldman, are the equivelant of Gaston and his made-up theories about how flight physics work... booed out of every forum because he religiously believes in things which defy physics, but he proclaims to be correct.

Also, you have absolutely NO right to call Karnak an elitist nor claim he's throwing out insults. EVERY time this conversation comes up the ONLY response from the "AvA vocalists" is to back-handedly insult people by saying you are better than everyone else because you play with no icons. You use key words and catch phrases to cloak your meanings but every time, without fail, you elitists (and that's not an insult, it is the definition of what you are doing) insult every other person no matter how inaccurate your stance or how wrong you are. You jump out of your chair to RALLY to oldman's side because oldman makes an absurd comment: "How do you know? All those guys are dead!" -- without stopping to consider the simply obvious response: Not the guys that shot them down. Not their wingmen. Not everybody else in the battle.

Ink, you're clouding the issues. Simply because you don't think it happened doesn't negate the fact that it happened. Many of Hartman's kills weren't aware he was right behind them. He would often go into a fight right behind an enemy plane, and he recounted "You had to get close, then closer, and closer still, until you thought you might hit" and he was known for firing off just 1 or 2 cannon rounds directly into an occupied P-51's radiator, because he knew that was a sure critical hit for the P-51. That plane would not make it back to base. In 5 minutes it would go down, regardless.

You're also totally clouding historic facts with your own game experiences. No way somebody looking for the enemy isn't going to be looking around? What? Do you even know anything how WW2 combat worked? Squadrons would form up, climb out, have to stay in formation, follow course changes, meet target destinations on a map, all the while spending hours in the air. They didn't know where the enemy was. The enemy could (and often was) already up and looking for them. Through sheer luck one of them will spot the the other first. The vast majority of engagements in WW2 air combat were one group attacking the other unsuspectingly. After that attack (usually after some are shot down) then they know the enemy are there... Usually they would dive away and return home afterwards, and that was the end of their "combat" for the day.

They didn't up a plane, start spraying ammo as soon as they were wheels up, fly for 5 minutes with a death wish, instantly know where the enemy furball was because they had already died in it and knew where it was, and they didn't have 15-20 years of flight experience like Aces High pilots often do. Further, you saying "there's no way they did that, because I don't do that" isn't even a valid argument. You are not them. You want to know how much flight training on-type the Soviet pilots got on the LaGG and Yak-1? 2 hours if they were lucky. 2 hours of flight training and then thrown into combat. They didn't even have combat schools. What they were teaching was how to do the math and how to navigate, and how to operate a high-tech engine system, and what lift is, to people that barely knew what an automobile was. Any combat training they got was sink or swim, or if they happened to get into 1 or 2 units that might already have a smart ace there who takes it upon himself on his own time to teach his fellow pilots. US training was better, but still not good. They trained pilots in the art of flying. They learned how to control their aircraft in all situations... But they didn't know how to teach combat tactics -- not like you might in the DA. You are totally framing the entire debate on your in-game experience. That's just now how it was in WW2.

As for you "They would SEE" -- well no matter how much you wish they would, they didn't. Even later on during Vietnam there's a famous incident where a flight of F-4s were heading home after a sortie and literally passed head-on through a formation of F-4s flying the other way. One one pilot saw it, it was in the blink of an eye. What with radar and all, it shouldn't have happened according to you.

P.S. WW1 pilots scarves were to wipe their goggles, because the engines used castor oil lubricant and it threw oil all over the pilot's face through the normal course of operating. I don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to aviation history man. Your constant fanaticism againt AH icons further reinforces that notion.

Also, Saxman is quite correct. Icons do not mean you do any less work. Camo does not mean a plane in real life goes unspotted. Camo was stationary to protect a plane from attacks while it was parked. A moving target is vastly easier to see, especially aircraft. The human eye instinctively reacts to motion -- even the slightest of motion. Camo is shattered if the object moves. The belief that "oh, that's why camo was on planes in WW2, because they had no icons!" is absurd. Yet, it is a repeating theme from the AvA hijackers. It's all based on ingnorance of how things work in the real world.

Let me put this in a way that you AvA vocalists would put it.... Maybe YOU are all so obsessed with icons because YOU can't fly by looking at the plane. Maybe you see a neon sign and that grabs your attention like a mag-pie so you can't focus on the target itself? I know *I* don't look at the icon outside of the plane type. I know *I* don't use it for maneuvering and killing. I use it to ID the plane and get rough distance, then once I track the plane I'm barely looking at the icon. In fact I don't even notice it, since I'm looking too closely at the plane itself. So maybe you all just suck because I'm so much better at focusing my attention than you?

Yes... that's about how the AvA lot would phrase it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:33:16 PM by Krusty »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
why halve icons? Why not double them? That would be more realistic. 6 kilometers is 3.75 miles. Realistically you can spot and ID many planes large AND SMALL out to 8-10 miles.

You can Identify and camo 109 below you against the terrain at 10 miles?

I call shanagans.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Thank you for post #47 Krusty.

I think it's important to remember that most sorties were flown without ever seeing the enemy.  After several of these sorties surely even good pilots would not be whipping their heads around constantly scanning everywhere for an enemy.

As a USAF aircraft controller I can tell you positively we can see much better than the game simulates.  The Icon's put back the visibility that the game cannot simulate.  I could see and identify aircraft type from 3 miles.  I could see if their gear was down from 2 miles.  I could distinguish flap settings from 1 mile.  I could see which way a pilot was looking at 1000 yards.

I love FSO's.  I love scenarios.  I would much rather fly my luftwaffe aircraft against allied aircraft. I would love to play in a populated AvA arena.  The number 1 reason I don't play there is because of the Icon settings.  The number 2 reason I don't fly there is because of the elitist attitudes I encounter there fed by the no Icon rule.  The number 3 reason I do not fly there is because there is so few or no one else there and I believe #3 is because of #1 & #2.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
I can see the colors and livery of an airliner flying overhead at 50,000+, but in this game all you can see is a black blob that might vaguely be something with wings. I'm in a residential area that's quite a few miles from a local airport, and under the final approach leg. It's residential, though, so they have to stay a certain altitude up. I can still make out fine details, including oil stains, every detail on landing gears, engines, control surfaces, flaps, the windows, I can see inside the plane if it banks..... All while they're thousands of feet away.
uh huh...ya right...  :rofl    :lol  you can see all that from 9 miles straight up? you weren't looking at anything smaller than a space shuttle. i have 20/10 corrected vision with no color blindness, and i can't see the colors and livery of a passenger plane at 35,000ft overhead. i live 3 miles from an international airport and watch passenger jets frequently take off and land and i have yet to be able to make anything but the windows and landing gear. and i would love to know how it is that you have magically determined that a jet liner is 50,000ft overhead when the max altitude is 41,000ft.

you must have superman vision.  :aok

a modified icon system might just be something to "freshen things up"...but it will never happen. too many variables to consider. some people with vision problems would be at a disadvantage. and, too many people with superhuman powers claiming they can see small details from many miles away and can tell the difference between 6 miles and 10 miles.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:36:12 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »
I don't understand why so many proponents of no-icons find it necessary to insult those who disagree.  At the very least, it's rude, crude, and impolite.  You will not enlist people in your cause by either implying or bluntly saying your opponents are sissies.  Just stop, OK?  This whole, trumped-up "controversy" has gotten to be very tiresome.  Please let it go.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
An alternate thought for the complex engine management:

Most of the "Nays" come from people who believe that this would be a significant turn-off to new players, which probably isn't an inaccurate assessment. More to manage means more to worry about outside of just shooting stuff down. However if you think about it, there's already a couple aspects where AH provides similar assistance for players by simplifying the game:

Auto Takeoffs, Stall Limiter, Combat Trim, and Engine Governor.

Players who can't quite manage getting their machine off the ground can turn on auto-takeoffs, while Stall Limiter protect them from spins they might not be able to get out of. Combat Trim makes it easier to quickly adjust aircraft trim to keep it level for gunnery purposes, while the Engine Governor stops the engines on WWI machines from over-revving in a dive and blowing out.

All of them (well, except Auto Takeoff) also give players who DON'T use them a slight advantage, whether by giving them better control over their aircraft's flight characteristics, letting them push deeper into a stall to get a few extra DPS or shave a few extra feet off the turn, or pushing a little extra speed out of a dive.

So why not make complex engine management the same way: A clipboard option that can be turned on or off. Players who want to use it can, and those who don't won't have to worry about it. Maybe a player might want to risk running his cowl flaps or radiator closed at high power settings to reduce drag for a couple extra mph. Or maybe squeeze a little extra range or power out of their engine by tweaking their fuel mixture at the risk of starving it or detonation.

So, about that alternative for a way to introduce complex engine management...
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
In the late 70's my father and I were at the Harrisburg PA airport to ferry back to BWI a twin Baron. I was home visiting from college. We ran into an old student pilot of my father, who having money, collected vintage planes. He was taking delivery of a T28 bought from auction out of Pensacola. It was still in it's orange and white NAVY livery. Since we were both heading to BWI, he gave me a ride back.

Having money, and not following rules and laws seems to be a common problem. This resulted in a side trip to check out the T28's performance. Large pasture, herd of Holsteins. 30ft off the deck herding cattle. But, I think it was the school bus we accidentally chased that got us reported.

Anyway we knew my father was heading back to BWI, his alt and speed. So we went hunting for twins to kill time on the way. At 6000yds(3.4miles) on a clear day you can tell the difference between a twin Baron and a Piper twin if you know what both look like from experience. Their motion makes them stand out from the background except if they are passing behind a cloud. Eventually we spotted my father at distance and went into a slight dive and passed about 20yds below and then out and past into a climb. He never knew we were there while he was easy to see as a twin Baron from 6000yds.

You do not see the same in a computer game at long distance as you do in real life. Also depending on the ground clutter in real life, you may see an airplane in motion standing out, or a motion that can't exist in the ground clutter which your eyes are designed to be instantly attracted to. Then you resolve the whole aircraft. Not all these fleeting shadows that seem to hallmark the con you chase until inside of 400. Or on full zoom things are slightly better but, then you have no width of field, just tunnel vision.

The manner in which the game presents our aircraft in motion at distance is not designed well for "no Icons". And most of the best DA monsters in this game impress me as having no hours in anything other than their PC chair and their car. As long as they keep their uberness to the fact they are very good in a kiddy game, then I salute them for that accomplishment. Otherwise since I was 6 years old and before the "IdeiotNet" was invented. I already had several hundreds of hours in real aircraft by the time of the T28 incident over Pennsylvania. One of the benefits of a father and his friends who are all pilots and instructors. I got loaned out on weekends to keep people awake on long trips and the hope I would want to get my ticket some day. It's very easy in a small sunny cockpit to become drowsy on long trips. My first powered flight ride and chance to be at the stick was in a Taylorcraft Austor out of the Peshawar airport in 1962. In 1960 my father soloed his first glider at the London gliding club and earned his Silver C.

So Krusty has it right essentially on the real world merits. Still, with so much time invested into this kiddy game. There is a point that players will blur reality with their accomplishment based affinity and identity with the game. Males identify themselves by their vocation and or accomplishments. Before the "IdeiotNet" it was things like the Society for Creative Anachronism. There they made armor and beat each other senseless with sticks to determine who was the uber stick. And walked around in dresses and a big belt with a cheap replica sword. Acting like that was real life instead of their boring 9-5 where they weren't the top of the food chain.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
Quite an interesting perspective and post, Buster.  :aok

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
 :rofl

Bustr and his wall O text..... :rofl :rofl :rofl

I do not disagree with them making up for distance viewing.....

but up close and personal where a sword works the friggen icon is very unrealistic.

who friggen cares who is way over there.... :rolleyes:

oh I know...... the guys who will run at first sign of being killed...or not having the upper hand..... :aok

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
INK,

Before the "IdeotNet" that's how people communicated as the standard to express clear vision and ideas. Oral and written transmission of experience directly related to passing on life experiences. In the hope of being helpful when one of your audience waded into the deep end for their turn in a non "IdeiotNet" world.

I'm sorry you don't value communication like so many now on the "IdeiotNet". At least I spent my time in many real aircraft long before this idioet game was a twinkle in anyone's eye. All at the prime age range that today our xBox generation wastes their lives' away trying to become uber sticks in kiddy shoot em up games. I grew up thinking it was normal going to the airfield on weekends with my father or his friends.

I washed, cleaned wind screens and fueled a lot of planes when other kids were reading comics or outside playing. That was the accepted cost for all the free rides I was given. I even worked for a small field one summer pumping gas, cleaning planes and answering the comm. All of the pilots I personally knew and met, valued communication because of the complex ideas associated with flying. Along with the need to keep up with the ongoing changes in information, or their next check ride to keep current, or their next ticket, or their next FAA required check ride, or learning the manual for the next ride they needed a cert in.

Unlike this game where piu, piu, piu is the coin of respect and all you need is a cheap laptop, mouse and $14.95 a month to be some body. When my father was forced to retire in his 60's for a heart problem. He had just finished his next to last check ride in a Citation to become jet certified. The manual he memorized was 6 inches thick just to get into the left seat for the first ride. All of that started in 1960 with him as a Russian language communications sergeant in the USAFSS getting his Silver C at the London Gliding club. Then by the early 80's achieving multiengine commercial instructor level on his own dime, flying commercial cargo, Air Taxi, Air Ambulance and a contract pilot for the FBI. I rode right seat with him a few times on cargo runs in a Beech 18, speaking about complex engine management.

I'll have to ask my mother if he needed to value communication to finally get into that Citation's left seat.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
what the hell are you talking about :headscratch:

while you were washing and cleaning and other kids were hanging out with dad, fishing or reading comics.... I was fighting everyday to just stay alive.

ask me again why I don't pull no punches and tell it like it is.

you think I value how "good" someone can go pew pew pew....... :rofl

its how one conducts himself ingame or here on the boards, that I "value"

I call it "talking out the side of your mouth", you..... Krusty.....chalenge..flyfin.. .... and a few others are great at it.....me I am more direct.

I spoke my mind on this subject......wont respond again. :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2013, 07:43:04 PM »
:rofl

Bustr and his wall O text..... :rofl :rofl :rofl

I do not disagree with them making up for distance viewing.....

but up close and personal where a sword works the friggen icon is very unrealistic.

who friggen cares who is way over there.... :rolleyes:

oh I know...... the guys who will run at first sign of being killed...or not having the upper hand..... :aok
Black dot in distance?
Let's get closer :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »
Give it up Karnak. These fools are the AvA hijackers that were brainwashed by nrraven and the IL2 converts that have a never-failing pretentious belief that no-icons is the only thing that is realisitc,

You berate everyone who wants Icon modification so here's back at you....

Your entire post is based on the CRAP assumption that people who advocate no-Icon/ shortened-Icon want it because it's visually more realistic. So you go off on your "Human eye vs screen resolution" garbage.  Throw in BustR too.
You argue the wrong point EVERY single time this discussion comes up. "OH look at me I fly a REAL plane so mine is the only opinion that matters", "I can See Russia from my house."

The point isn't whether the visual acuity in game is the same as real life. EVERYONE knows it isn't  Thanks Captain Obvious.
The issue is at what distance are visual ques REQUIRED for combat, game play etc...
Required means:
At what distance do I need to ID that it's an enemy? Answer: 6K is all you get WITH icon. With No-Icon I know it's an enemy at 5800 because the plane has no Icon. So that function in game is the same with or without Icon.
At what distance do I need to know what kind of enemy plane? Answer: 6K is all you get WITH icon. I can do it at 4-5K in game without Icon. That's plenty.
At what distance do you need to know his gear or flaps are down? Answer:  400-600yrds. I can see them at 1000yds in game. Besides Icon doesn't tell you flap or gear status so why mention it.

So In my opinion ICONS don't make up for a lack of visual acuity, that is required for realistic combat. What they do is over-correct and negatively affect game play because they make it impossible to not be seen at 3.4 miles in a camo airplane on a busy battle field. Sneaking a goon is impossible, flying low penetrating missions is impossible because the Alt monkeys can see you on the deck, in a camo plane, from 18,000ft. Without Icon I can see the dots and plane shapes below me, but I have to LOOK for them. Stop acting like no-icon make planes invisible. Modified Icons may provide relief from the large hordes, because they might not all see you at the same time.

And yet again we have to explain that....numbers in early-war, mid-war, AvA, and personal Arenas are no indication of the acceptance or rejection of those plane sets, or arena set ups. People simply go where the numbers are, and the LWMA has all the planes so it attracts the largest crowd. Then when more players log on, they just follow the crowd. The horde has it's own gravity, and it's that gravity that attracts everyone to it.

So modified Icons might improve game play, that's why people suggest and talk about it. Think about it and stop being a snob.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:36:15 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?