Author Topic: Microsoft Precision 2 Sidewinder with Windows 7  (Read 1424 times)

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
Microsoft Precision 2 Sidewinder with Windows 7
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
Microsoft Precision 2 Sidewinder with Windows 7

Hello gents.  It's been a while but I'm set with a new rig
and want to continue to use my Microsoft Precision 2
Sidewinder with my new Windows 7 Professional OS.

Has anyone here been able to do so?
If so, could you tell me how you managed it.

Thanks!

David

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Microsoft Precision 2 Sidewinder with Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
It worked just fine.  A little jittery but if you are smooth it should work fine. 

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »
My old Precision 2 worked like a champ for my son for a few weeks until I got him a Thrustmaster Hotas X....the only reason I did so is because I feel its important to have a separate throttle for this game (and rudder pedals).  But these are personal options...feel free to game away with the Precision...great stick for its time.
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I wonder how you installed it though.  Did you install the software
through Windows 7 or did you install through virtual machine
so the software would run in XP mode.  Or did you just plug
it in and have Win7 recognize and install default drivers?

The reason I ask is because when I installed the software
it failed and failed to work.  I know some have gotten it to
work with Win7...I'm just mystified as to how they did it.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
On W7 you just plug it in, no software additions necessary.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:21 AM »
Is this still a good stick? :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:29 AM »
On W7 you just plug it in, no software additions necessary.

Yep just plug it in and then you can find it in control panel from 'devices' as a game controller. From there you can calibrate if need be.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:55:38 AM »
Is this still a good stick? :old:

If Precision 2 has still optical 'potentiometers' then it's rock solid most likely. If it's the new cheap version with regular pots it's most likely not going to last long.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 05:29:26 AM »
If Precision 2 has still optical 'potentiometers' then it's rock solid most likely. If it's the new cheap version with regular pots it's most likely not going to last long.

The 2 has regular pots, I went to a T16000 with Hal-effect sensors after the 2.

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.

Unfortunately, plug-and-play is not working.

I've had this Sidewinder for almost 12 years now and aside
from some finicky buttons is works great.  I even have
another as a spare for when the original dies on me.

I'm done with Win7...its prettier but that's about
all that's good about it. I can get the same visuals in
XP so I'm going back to it.  Enough of this MS bull.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
The 2 has regular pots, I went to a T16000 with Hal-effect sensors after the 2.

Wikipedia claims the Precision Pro, and the Precision 2 that followed it, used optical encoders, not pots.  I know my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (based on the Precision 2) must have optical encoders because it is ancient yet never needs calibration.

Also, on the Sidewinder FF2, and probably the Precision 2, it is very easy to replace flaky button switches.  There's even a thread somewhere in this forum giving the source part numbers (search for the term Mouser).

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »

Not exactly. I have one with the optical sensors. The sensors aren't the best. They're GOOD, and they don't degrade with age like pots do, but they aren't totally accurate like good pots are. I used my stick for many years. Even modified the handle to take more buttons (just remapped the buttons on the base with new wires), but it was never rock solid. It has its jitters and spikes. Minor ones, but enough to notice. Just part of the nature of the low-tech sensors and the ability they have to read the LED lights at the bottom of the stick as they move around, I guess.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »
Not exactly. I have one with the optical sensors. The sensors aren't the best. They're GOOD, and they don't degrade with age like pots do, but they aren't totally accurate like good pots are. I used my stick for many years. Even modified the handle to take more buttons (just remapped the buttons on the base with new wires), but it was never rock solid. It has its jitters and spikes. Minor ones, but enough to notice. Just part of the nature of the low-tech sensors and the ability they have to read the LED lights at the bottom of the stick as they move around, I guess.

I'm sorry but if you have _any_ jitters and spikes you have either faulty hardware or regular pots. I have owned a Precision Pro I for over a decade and it still doesn't need any damping and produces a flat line in calibration tests.

The only failure that has been so far with the Precision pro is hat switch (cured by contact cleaner spray) and the wire of the optical sensor detaching from it's soldering (cured by resoldering it).

If you really have an optical version you should probably open it and check that the sensors are clean. They're very close to the silicon lubricant in the base of the stick and if the grease gets to the sensor it's naturally going to work non linear after that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:49:34 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 11:27:25 PM »
It's not faulty, and they're not pots. I've opened it up on many an occasion. The sensor was always clean (no grease).

It's just never been CH quality. I have a CH stick now. When I put this somewhere, it stays there on the axis. Almost no spiking whatsoever.

The Sidewinder also had a bit of a deadspot.. not so much dead as a slightly wobbly center where inputs weren't as precise (most likely due to the free-floating head design with the LEDs on it that hovered over the sensor). I had to scale it for best effect.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it was a BAD stick. Far from it. I enjoyed it for the most part. It did, however, have some annoying habits. Minor, but present nonetheless. They existed ever since I bought it, and when I bought it the condition was unopened mint in box.

For what it's worth.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »
I'm sorry but if you have _any_ jitters and spikes you have either faulty hardware or regular pots. I have owned a Precision Pro I for over a decade and it still doesn't need any damping and produces a flat line in calibration tests.

The only failure that has been so far with the Precision pro is hat switch (cured by contact cleaner spray) and the wire of the optical sensor detaching from it's soldering (cured by resoldering it).

If you really have an optical version you should probably open it and check that the sensors are clean. They're very close to the silicon lubricant in the base of the stick and if the grease gets to the sensor it's naturally going to work non linear after that.

Not true.  I had an original Sidewinder Precision Pro (first iteration of the Sidewinder sticks) that I used for about 12 years.  I had to switch when I built my new machine as these sticks weren't able to use USB adapters.  There was one guy who made adapters using circuit boards but he'd wait until he had enough orders to order the boards and as demand dropped that was the end of that.

Anyway, after 12 years, while the stick still worked, the handle was loose and it would jitter and spike continuously.  When I finally did switch to a cheapie Saitek I was amazed at how much steadier it was.

That said it was sad to see MS get out of that business because they made hands down the best product in the marketplace.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.