Author Topic: P39Q for this Tour  (Read 4431 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: P39Q for this Tour
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
More than two P-39 kills by a "lame" substandard cartoon pilot:

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »
One tip on flying the 39 is to bleed the fuelin t he wings asb you will get a better turn with it.

I havebto laugh at this thread. I know Snuggie will do his damdest to kill no matter what he flies. 

The same with Ink , what I cant stand is the constant jumping in on the AOM on this thread ... step back ladies INK is a big boy and he can clearly defend himself verbally.  I am sure if he couldn't he would take his ball and go home.

I have yet to see a thread where there was so much chest thumping and self back patting.

I know I suck and will gladly admit it but who gives a f@#$, this is a game to relieve stress not add to it.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »
One tip on flying the 39 is to bleed the fuelin t he wings asb you will get a better turn with it.

This is a very good tip. Especially since the P-39 only has wing tanks.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
This is a very good tip. Especially since the P-39 only has wing tanks.

:rofl
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
the P39Q without gunpods is very fun to fly and in the level it is decently fast I think at 15,500ft without wep I had it to 378mph without tail winds or stuff like that atleast that's what true speed indicated on the E6B get some stick time in it and you will find its very easy to handle even at low speeds
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
Snailman has an LW arena total of 36 kills in both P-39's combined, all time.
In comparison, he had 228 kills in the Komet in the last tour alone.

That's what AH has come to...  :(   ...  That guy should really grow some friggin ballz  :bhead
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
I'd have went with "go play online golf, at least they provide the balls."

:aok

edit: and to stay on-topic, both the 39's are fun little rides - just work *with* it, it doesn't like to be forced.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

That's Spatulas' old Pilot Stats program.
<------what he said
Ink what program is that to obatain those statistics? I've never seen that before

its a very cool program, has all kinds of stats....a good graph to show progress...you can break it down by individual aircraft or tour...or like in the screenies I posted that is all tours...

I would give it to ya, but he asks us not to and I told him I wouldn't........you can send him a PM here, I am sure you could get it :aok

I often used to wonder how one could get a feeling of achievement by doing those things. From their perspective they just want you dead by any means. In a ganging situation they probably have selective vision about the other green guys around them, at this point it's not beating you but rather beating the others in the gang to get you that becomes the challenge. The majority of players have basically paid their $15 to win, and winning goes on the scoreboard after all.

It gets more complicated with some of the very co-ordinated squads. They'll fight you one on one until the fight turns South for them and then call a wingman in to scrape you off. Smart? Probably, but rather unsporting.

Every now and again you meet the real thing though, often flying alone and a quiet one you might not have even heard about before, never or seldom see on the BBS. Real skill and guile in combat. Don't really care about the result as much as the fight. They are very rare though but the most rewarding to fight.

its a rare thing to find fighters in the MA...a know I am in the minority hard core but whatever....my bit#%ing about it has gotten a few to go to the darkside and fight no matter what...more then a few actually.

the more of those type players the better the MA will be....

FSO is the time to worry about your life...hell I ran away last night without a issue in FSO... :O   I did get discoed after my first 47 kill.... :noid

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2013, 07:01:13 PM »
There are no rules against calling something lame.   :old:

:aok The lame arse is absolutely correct.  :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2013, 07:21:39 AM »
the P39Q without gunpods is very fun to fly and in the level it is decently fast I think at 15,500ft without wep I had it to 378mph without tail winds or stuff like that atleast that's what true speed indicated on the E6B get some stick time in it and you will find its very easy to handle even at low speeds

I had tried the P39Q in the past sometimes choosing it for base defense.  The real reason I choose it for this tour is because of the late Doc Davis.  I could never get it out of my mind how nearly embarrassed he was for having been assigned to a P39 squadron.  He is gone now.  I wished I would have found AH before he passed away.

I tell you what.  The 39 can get on the tail of planes like 109s and La's and it can stay with them especially if they make any E bleeding mistakes.  Had two La's on my tail and out turned them enough to make them break-off and run.

I have about got the canon under control.  The two 50s do better than I expected.  It is hard to take someone down but you can make them make mistakes with a few pings.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
All of this has been good advice.  :aok

The P-39 in game has very benign departure characteristics. It doesn't snap roll in wing stalls, and is very controllable at very low speeds. It can kick the tail around better than the famous 109 move all the K4 jockies love because the plane has a lot of rudder. I tend to suck the faster planes into turn fights by progressively turning tighter, then make aggressive moves into rolling scissors. It's easy to get most late war birds into an overshoot, because of how well the P-39 slows down, and flies well slow [stable, good roll rate, lots of rudder]. This will generate slow crossing shots which are an ideal use for the 37mm because the range is close, and the plan view of the bandit provides the largest possible target to hit. If you miss the shot, you're toast as most bandits can extend quickly because the P-39 accelerates pretty poorly, and once the bandit is 600 and beyond, he's very tough to hit with the big gun. But alas these maneuvers leave you easy pickins for the second and third guy in, which is why my K/d in a P-39 was always around 1.0.   In a furball do the opposite. Get high and dive through because the the P-39 is one of the best diving planes in the game. it'll do 550mph without compressing so it turns well at high speed for BnZ attacks. It won't however maintain it's E so get back to vertical as quick at possible, then climb out to regain the energy you lost and repeat your diving attack. I have landed 7 kills in this fashion on 1 ammo load. Good luck!  :salute

The views are less of a problem with Trackir. The fixed view will leave a lot of blind area when looking backwards. there's no avoiding it with fixed views.

I've always found I can win 1v1 with most of the late war planes because the P-39 turns pretty well, but it will struggle against the better turning planes with better Power-to-weight ratios like zekes, spits, n1kis. The trajectory on the 37mm is something you can get used to, but the scatter on successive rounds is the problem. If the bandit is maneuvering, best to keep shots inside 200 yards. If he's flying straight and level, 400yrds is max.
The plane is a de-acking monster. you can de-ack almost any field on one ammo load with a little practice. to do this you have to practice lobbing 37mm at the guns from 1.5-1K out and breaking before the auto ack gets you because the P-39 is pretty vulnerable to auto ack fire and bursts into flame easily.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
Fine post, Vinkman  :aok

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »
The graphics in the P39 cockpit are really well done and by themselves are worth a ride..  The glass lens on top of the gunsight is perfect. 

Vinkman, a good post for sure.  As you noted the 39 can turn with most planes albeit it is more of a break even instead of beat the best turners.  I can't help but think the Russians used the 39 to beat the German planes by using the same tactic.

I noticed John Browning was the designer of the 37mm canon then Colt made them.

Pulling down the fast birds is the tactic I have been using with good success.  I wonder if anyone has a translated Russian tactical training manual.

I had a good encounter with Knights I think they were after a NOE went bad.   I ended up in the middle of a nest of them.  The fight was brief but exciting as I put the 39 on the edge of stall turn reverses until they got me.  I got several Salutes from those guys which I greatly appreciated.

The 39 should be no hanger queen, that is for sure. 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
The graphics in the P39 cockpit are really well done and by themselves are worth a ride..  The glass lens on top of the gunsight is perfect. 

Vinkman, a good post for sure.  As you noted the 39 can turn with most planes albeit it is more of a break even instead of beat the best turners.  I can't help but think the Russians used the 39 to beat the German planes by using the same tactic.

I noticed John Browning was the designer of the 37mm canon then Colt made them.

Pulling down the fast birds is the tactic I have been using with good success.  I wonder if anyone has a translated Russian tactical training manual.

I had a good encounter with Knights I think they were after a NOE went bad.   I ended up in the middle of a nest of them.  The fight was brief but exciting as I put the 39 on the edge of stall turn reverses until they got me.  I got several Salutes from those guys which I greatly appreciated.

The 39 should be no hanger queen, that is for sure. 

that is the only reason Aces High is still installed on my comp....

the more you do that...the better you will get..it will sharpen your SA unlike anything else....when you start being able to kill 2 or3 and on a good day 6 or 7 attacking you...the adrenaline rush is like I got doing 145 down the highway in my Challenger...

except no one dies here :rock

I see
so far no one posted where I said I was "better" then everyone.... :rolleyes:

the difference is I fight no matter what and I have gotten good over the years I spent flying...I have gotten hundreds maybe more then hundreds and into the thousands of <S> "great flying" and the like...

but I know I am far from the best....I will give the best a fight I guarantee that..... and on a good day I can kill them....

but my aim is sub-par and you need great aim to be the best of the best.

glad to see you are getting it dirty :rock :salute

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
One last interesting point about the P39 canon.  You want see kills when you are pulling a hard lead.  They just are gone. 

Who ever wrote the Wiki had good guidance on the canon.  Fire the canon in one to three shot burst but no more than three.