Author Topic: Generals and their perks  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Generals and their perks
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:32 AM »
What about adding non-player characters that create extra perks for their location.

Like, have to fly him arround and keep him alive and not captured.
Maybe 1 to 3 per team, depending on player population and number of bases?

He starts at an HQ base, where 163s are available.
Next, it goes like this, fly him, in a c47(?), or bomber or gv? We choose him as a load instead of bombs or troops.
Last, land him at a base, and it gets enhancements:
*extra radar range
*extra AA guns and anti-tank guns from accompanying vehicles, like auto ack wirbs or something.
*extra bombs, repair vehicles, from supply convoy with him.
Finally, get him out of there before base gets captured...

Yes he would be killable if his transport is destroyed.
Yes capturable if his base is captured with him in it.
No gv spawning out of the base, only hangar if anything is flashing the base at all.
So fly him out in a plane, storch or gv.

Make it take awhile to get him back if killed or captured.
Have it like a cv, rank required to move him, and who moves him is announced on country channel.

Liven the game up some?
Add a convoy of planes or vehicles to the player's plane, like a formation?
And yes, any of his support stuff is destroyable ofcourse.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:43:31 AM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: Generals and their perks
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »
Frankly, I'd love to see AH do the old Air Warrior thing with AI C-47s shuttling back and forth. I dunno, it could have some effect on supply frequency, or dar survivability, or troop-training facility / field camp hardness.

More targets, further away, for us fans of low-level strafing and hunting.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:01:36 AM »
Frankly, I'd love to see AH do the old Air Warrior thing with AI C-47s shuttling back and forth. I dunno, it could have some effect on supply frequency, or dar survivability, or troop-training facility / field camp hardness.

I like this idea.  Have the resupply linked in three ways: land (trains/convoys and city/factory), sea (supply convoys and shipyard), and air (C47 and capitol/factory, etc).

The low level stuff is lacking, unless the wish if for suicide.  I really miss having some sort of strategic element to the low level Mossi or 110 run, it is hard to vouch to take either the Mossi or 110 these days when the P51D will deliver the hulk smash via horde. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »
The goons are already there if you know where to look.  :noid
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »

:aok
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »
Nice idea, Franz Von Werra.  Almost certainly needs tweaking, but it looks like a fairly solid new idea, something rarely seen.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
What about adding non-player characters that create extra perks for their location.

Like, have to fly him arround and keep him alive and not captured.
Maybe 1 to 3 per team, depending on player population and number of bases?

He starts at an HQ base, where 163s are available.
Next, it goes like this, fly him, in a c47(?), or bomber or gv? We choose him as a load instead of bombs or troops.
Last, land him at a base, and it gets enhancements:
*extra radar range
*extra AA guns and anti-tank guns from accompanying vehicles, like auto ack wirbs or something.
*extra bombs, repair vehicles, from supply convoy with him.
Finally, get him out of there before base gets captured...

Yes he would be killable if his transport is destroyed.
Yes capturable if his base is captured with him in it.
No gv spawning out of the base, only hangar if anything is flashing the base at all.
So fly him out in a plane, storch or gv.

Make it take awhile to get him back if killed or captured.
Have it like a cv, rank required to move him, and who moves him is announced on country channel.

Liven the game up some?
Add a convoy of planes or vehicles to the player's plane, like a formation?
And yes, any of his support stuff is destroyable ofcourse.

:O

+1  :aok :aok :aok :aok

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:48:24 PM »
yep, sounds neato...
I would add, that if a player gets him killed, he loses privileges to control him for the rest of the tour, if not the next one also.
seeerriiioouuss stuff! Maybe bring your whole squad to help move him! A mission or something to move him.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »
Nice idea, Franz Von Werra.  Almost certainly needs tweaking, but it looks like a fairly solid new idea, something rarely seen.

no kidding especially on the wishlist forum, I was fully expecting some "arm chair general" comment.

I would certainly like to see this, given it would have a darbar to give their location away, but you have to defend them or shoot them down, so it means risking going into those locations.

+1
JG 52

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
more ideas:
*If he gets landed on a CV, add a Battleship for his ride.
*If he gets killed, keep him dead till map reset? Or his replacement has less exp?
*The longer he lives the larger his group? Like if at a base, he gets a higher total for number of wirbles etc, besides the ones respawning that were killed.

What to name them? uhh... !!! LOL

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »
Man this is a great Idea :aok  One question though. Do you have to land him at the field? If hes captured vrs killed what benefit does the enemy get?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »
so you take a c47 from a friendly base to land it at a friendly base.  where is the fight in that?  as for taking him out of the base before the field gets capture.  dont we already hide cv's?

something like this will only work if you fly him thru enemy territory 4 or 5 sectors deep then come back.  then people are gonna whine because some guy that just joined yesterday took one out.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »
so you take a c47 from a friendly base to land it at a friendly base.  where is the fight in that?  as for taking him out of the base before the field gets capture.  dont we already hide cv's?

something like this will only work if you fly him thru enemy territory 4 or 5 sectors deep then come back.  then people are gonna whine because some guy that just joined yesterday took one out.

semp
As noted, tweaks might be needed.  First, whatever bonuses he gives should be things are only really useful at frontline bases to encourage him being moved into danger.  The extra AA guns, or maybe tougher  structures, or maybe the town needs to be fully down to white flag.  Second, intelligence sources should report his general movements such as "System: Rook General left A32", "System: Rook General arrived at A25" with maybe a minute delay.  Consider the intelligence reports to be things like intercepted and decoded radio transmissions or messages from resistance members on the ground.  Perhaps after another minute or so, whether he is flying or driving could be revealed.

Could do a general and an admiral for each side perhaps.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:37:34 AM »
As noted, tweaks might be needed.  First, whatever bonuses he gives should be things are only really useful at frontline bases to encourage him being moved into danger.  The extra AA guns, or maybe tougher  structures, or maybe the town needs to be fully down to white flag.  Second, intelligence sources should report his general movements such as "System: Rook General left A32", "System: Rook General arrived at A25" with maybe a minute delay.  Consider the intelligence reports to be things like intercepted and decoded radio transmissions or messages from resistance members on the ground.  Perhaps after another minute or so, whether he is flying or driving could be revealed.

Could do a general and an admiral for each side perhaps.

Gives us a reason to have like radio stations scattered across the maps, sort of like the ooold factory system. That enemies could kill to lengthen the delay time for those messages. 

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:40 AM »
AW's interceptable logistic supply is modelled thru truck/barge convoys and trains............ albeit a land based model.

But the concept has some merit

I am not sure what the consequences of killing the General (sort of Yamamoto function) would have on arena game play other than the bonus points earned by the successful interceptor.

I think the incentives would be best linked to some sort of intelligence function.

How about the radar (dot) update rate? Killing him increases it to two minutes this time gradually reduces to arena standard over a fixed period.

The generals C47 would fly between random friendly air fields and base (uncapturable) fields and would be identified by 5 stars when in close icon range.
Ludere Vincere