Author Topic: Clarifications about the Spitfire Mk IX and XVI  (Read 15425 times)

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
Re: Clarifications about the Spitfire Mk IX and XVI
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
In the 1930s the RAF decided to go straight from the .303 to the 20mm.  They saw the .50s as better than the .303s, but also as only a stopgap that would face the same deficiencies as the .303.  The only reason any of their planes ended up with .50s was due to the readily available supply from the US.  Per the US Navy's tests the Spitfire Mk XVI has the same effective firepower as the P-47's eight .50s.

There was a mockup on the Mk IV, the originally planned Griffon Spit, of six Hispano Mk IIs, but that obviously never happened.
Wow thats just crazy.

and i thought 3 50 rounds were thre same as 1 20. I could be wrong? :headscratch:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Wow thats just crazy.
If bombers had continued to be a major target for the RAF it is quite possible that it would have seen service for bomber-killer Spits.

and i thought 3 50 rounds were thre same as 1 20. I could be wrong? :headscratch:
No, not rounds.  A single M2 20mm installation was deemed as effective as an installation of three M2 .50s.  So, ten 20mm rounds was equal to thirty-six .50 cal rounds, the respective number of rounds fired by such installations in one second, in the USN's opinion.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
- oldman (thanks for the post.  How many LF IX(e)s and 16s were produced?)
I don't think I can get you a precise answer.  I was looking through "Spitfire: The History" by Morgan and Shacklady and the numbers simply aren't broken down like that.  I can infer some things by the dates the orders were filled, but only to a degree.  When it says an order for 1500 Spitfire F.21s was placed, then canceled, then partially reinstated as 673 Mk IXs that were filled as Mk IXs and Mk XVIs between June and October of 1944 I can safely say they all had e wings, but I have no idea how many were HF.Mk IXes, LF.Mk IXes or Mk XVIs.  Another example was an order for 2190 Spitfire Mk Vs placed on 12 May, 1942 and built between July 1943 and May 1944 as a mix of Mk Vcs, Mk IXs and Mk XVIs.

Total Spitfire Mk IX production, all Mk IX serials, was 5663.  Total Mk XVI production was 1053 and total production of the Mk IX stopgap airframe was 6716.  Of the 5663 Mk IX serials most were built as LF.Mk IXs with Merlin 66s, but I have no idea what the breakdown between universal wings and e wings was.  All 1053 Mk XVIs were LFs with the Merlin 266 and all had the e wing.  Bare minimum that I can see being of the LF.Mk IXe/Mk XVI type would be about 2000, and it could be well above that.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
when they say universal thats the "c" wing right?

One of the curses of post war writers.  There was never a Spitfire IXc

On the Spitfire V they had the A wing with 8 303s, the B Wing with 2 20mm(60round cannon drums) and the C wing with the potential for 8 303, 2 20mm and 4 303 or 4 20mm.

The Spitfire IX was purpose built with the Universal Wing so there was no need to designate it as a C wing.  It was used on the Spitfire V because it used three different wings.   

When the Spitfire IX later was given the wing with the 2 .5MGs and 2 20mm it was designated E wing to differentiate it from what had been the normal production wing on the IX.

With the Spitfire XVI they never referred to it as the E wing as it was the only wing the Spitfire XVI used.

All XVI were LF versions with the 266.  The overwhelming majority of Spitfire IX were LF versions as well.  I can't give you an exact number but of the almost 1200 Spitfire IXs sent to Russia over 1100 were LFIXs.  It was really the standard Spitfire IX from 1943 on.

The Spitfire XIV was first built with the Universal Wing, so when it was updated to the E wing it was referred to as a Spitfire XIVe.   The Spitfire 18 which was very similar never had the E designation as it was the only wing it was produced with.

You get the idea?

Model builders, and post war historians screwed that up by referring to the Spitfire IXc

From the official Air Ministry publication on the Spitfire IX and XVI

As for the IX vs XVI  It's all about the engine.  Put a 266 in an IX and it's an XVI.

This is a Spitfire LFXVI with a bubble top. Merlin 266 installed.  Note the serial number TE214

The next Spit off the production line, serial TE215 was a Spitfire LFIXe with a Merlin 66 installed.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
Guppy, I wonder if we'll ever overcome the misconceptions about this subject?
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 01:02:44 AM »
Doubt it.  It's been the same question going back to 2001 I think :)

Just checked.  My ninth post on the AH boards was about Spitfire LFIXe and Spitfire XVI.  July, 2001.  It does never end;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:07:12 AM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 02:27:30 AM »
lol... again no source!
I learned the 'comon knowledge' from in game that Spit16s didn't see combat.
Only a few completed before war's end, and never even saw an enemy fighter...
If you guys are splitting hairs about this stuff then it only proves the point, and any combat becomes 'myth'... as in one pilot's source or what what!

Examples:
There were about 1000 he-177s made, debugged ones (as much as any plane goes), and we don't have it, but one spit16 pilot's myth and we get a spit16!!!
109g6's with taters, probably 1000 built also, no idea, but I'm sure it was a bunch, and we get the 150rpg and the 200rpg for the center 20mm, but not the tater? Booo!

Far as you guys saying stuff being mislabled, like this conversation about spits, and others about "we never had a g10," then you guys need to take that stuff up with HTC!!!   They said 'g10' so I'm saying g10, till HTC says otherwise!

:banana:
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 02:33:24 AM »
One of the curses of post war writers.  There was never a Spitfire IXc

On the Spitfire V they had the A wing with 8 303s, the B Wing with 2 20mm(60round cannon drums) and the C wing with the potential for 8 303, 2 20mm and 4 303 or 4 20mm.

The Spitfire IX was purpose built with the Universal Wing so there was no need to designate it as a C wing.  It was used on the Spitfire V because it used three different wings.   

When the Spitfire IX later was given the wing with the 2 .5MGs and 2 20mm it was designated E wing to differentiate it from what had been the normal production wing on the IX.

With the Spitfire XVI they never referred to it as the E wing as it was the only wing the Spitfire XVI used.

All XVI were LF versions with the 266.  The overwhelming majority of Spitfire IX were LF versions as well.  I can't give you an exact number but of the almost 1200 Spitfire IXs sent to Russia over 1100 were LFIXs.  It was really the standard Spitfire IX from 1943 on.

The Spitfire XIV was first built with the Universal Wing, so when it was updated to the E wing it was referred to as a Spitfire XIVe.   The Spitfire 18 which was very similar never had the E designation as it was the only wing it was produced with.

You get the idea?

Model builders, and post war historians screwed that up by referring to the Spitfire IXc

From the official Air Ministry publication on the Spitfire IX and XVI

(Image removed from quote.)

As for the IX vs XVI  It's all about the engine.  Put a 266 in an IX and it's an XVI.

This is a Spitfire LFXVI with a bubble top. Merlin 266 installed.  Note the serial number TE214

The next Spit off the production line, serial TE215 was a Spitfire LFIXe with a Merlin 66 installed.

Thanks!  :aok
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
More myths?...

The 109k4 was NOT the only good 109!!!  I say "109s sux in here" and you guys point and say "k4 is a monster..."

I still say the k-4 is a tub, and that all these luft aces, from Battle for Poland, through the Battle of Britain, Marselies 17kills in one day in the desert, to Stalingrad, to defending Berlin in May 45, most luftwaffe were mostly flying all thr OTHER variations!!!

Luft had all the aces, required pilot, plane, amo, and bullet proof glass, etc, etc...
And anyone saying "only luftwaffe saw other planes" is an fing joke!
Anotherwords, allieds claiming a nation didn't see enemy fighters, on continental Europe durring ww2, is a joke!

Check wikipedia.org, "list of ww2 flying aces"
Most nations involved were averaging 50-125 about losses per day, to the luftwaffes 50(? I forget) per day...
33,000 109s smoked 70,000 enemy planes bout, and considering the sway of stats do to losing at end, prooves the point, 109s and 190s were indeed uber alles!
*Edit, need to post that link for losses per day...

109s and 190s PWNT alle das arses!!! Get over it!
Call out Franz stupid thread!   :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:40:19 AM by Franz Von Werra »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 02:57:45 AM »
Franz, you seem less than emotionally stable.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 03:01:08 AM »
Karnak ignors the Das Facts, is why!  :neener:

Source for planes per day is in that long he177 thread, and I'm at work on phone, on break!

More?
How about WoT!!!
Tiger tanks killed REGULARLY at distances of 1000meters easily, 1 shots!
Why allieds didn't like fighting them out in the field...
In that game, MAX view range possible is 500yards...
Only distance any of the allied tanks could hurt a tiger was at like 300yards.
Soviet t-34s were ramming weapons.
Captured panzerfausts is what killed tigers in east!
Allied bombers in west.
Tigers were plenty reliable, they only got 100s of hits to front, where transmission was, and survived, so yeah, tranny probs sometimes.

Wot is total balance, reversed crap. Check fprado.com, and wikipedia, just no .ru sites!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:18:15 AM by Franz Von Werra »

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »
lol... again no source!
If you guys are splitting hairs about this stuff then it only proves the point, and any combat becomes 'myth'... as in one pilot's source or what what!

Examples:
There were about 1000 he-177s made, debugged ones (as much as any plane goes), and we don't have it, but one spit16 pilot's myth and we get a spit16!!!
109g6's with taters, probably 1000 built also, no idea, but I'm sure it was a bunch, and we get the 150rpg and the 200rpg for the center 20mm, but not the tater? Booo!

Far as you guys saying stuff being mislabled, like this conversation about spits, and others about "we never had a g10," then you guys need to take that stuff up with HTC!!!   They said 'g10' so I'm saying g10, till HTC says otherwise!

:banana:

what the hell are you on about ? there were thousands of spit XVI as they were IX with a different supercharger gearing . In fact the XVI we have should really be called the IX LfFe (low fighter e wing) the IXLFe had clipped wings(that could be converted to full span in 20 minutes or less) and the superchargers were set to a lower altitude . the IX we have in game is the HFe (high altitude E wing) with the same merlin 26 engine  but rated for higher altitudes with full span wings (though not the extended wings of the VII ) the only difference between the XVI and the IX was that the royce merlin 26 was that the compressors were driven straight off the main crank shaft and the packard 266 was chain driven (possibly giving a better boost at higher revs but then only about 50hp at that and the chain system was slightly heavier  so swings and roundabouts) . 

The spit XVI  IS a spit IX LFe .  it's not splitting hairs it's FACT the confusion is because the XVI in game has a load out that was not common in RAF use where most IX/XVI were using 4 X .303 and 2 X 20MM . The ingame load out should be the same for both aircraft or have the load out options in hanger like the hurricane MKII and sea hurricane.   The Spitfire XVI should be deleted and the wing / gun options added to the IX in hanger.
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
lol... again no source!
As stated:
"Spitfire
The History"

by Eric B. Morgan , Edward Shacklady.

Your source is random guys in an internet game of unknown expertise on the subject on which they are pontificating? Ok then.  I'll go with my source.
Spliting hairs would be saying that thirteen Spit XVI's saw combat, not twelve.  No, we're correcting gross inaccuracies in the player base's knowledge.  You say twelve and I say 2000 minimum, perhaps more than 3000 in the same configuration is not a difference of hairs.  I have research supporting my claim, you have in game whines.

Examples:
There were about 1000 he-177s made, debugged ones (as much as any plane goes), and we don't have it,
We also don't have the Wellington (11,000 built), the Pe-2 (11,000 built) or the Beaufighter (6,000 built).  Adding something like the Spitfire Mk XVI or Bf109G-14 is cheap and easy for HTC compared to a completely new airframe, particularly multi-station bombers.
but one spit16 pilot's myth and we get a spit16!!!
This is simply wrong.  Spitfire serial numbers prove it so.
When the Bf109s were redone CMs didn't have the ability to limit loadout availability and the Bf109G-6 in AH was supposed to represent an early version, so no 30mm option.  Now that CMs have that ability the 30mm should absolutely be added to the G-6.

Pyro, IIRC, made that point about the old AH1 Bf109G-10.  Seriously, find a chart (German real data chart, no AH chart) in which a Bf109G-10 is shown to do 452mph at best altitude.

More myths?...

The 109k4 was NOT the only good 109!!!  I say "109s sux in here" and you guys point and say "k4 is a monster..."
The Bf109 was a great fighter.  The Bf109K-4 is one of the best prop fighters in the game.  The Bf109G-14 is very good as well.  The Bf109F-4 is, against its contemporaries, clearly the best fighter of 1941 as modeled in AH.  I would love to see the Bf109G-6/AS added.  The Bf109G-10 can be added or not, it is irrelevant to the game in my opinion.

I still say the k-4 is a tub, and that all these luft aces, from Battle for Poland, through the Battle of Britain, Marselies 17kills in one day in the desert, to Stalingrad, to defending Berlin in May 45, most luftwaffe were mostly flying all thr OTHER variations!!!
Have you tried the K-4's contemporaries?  I know you're a Luftwaffe fan, but spend time in the P-47D-40, P-51D, P-38L and, yes, even the Spitfire Mk XIV and Mk XVI.  All late war fighters are tubs compared to early war fighters.  The Bf109K-4 is clearly superior as a fighter to the three American fighters I listed and is not inferior to the British interceptors.

Luft had all the aces
I can name many American, British, Finnish, Italian, Japanese and Russian aces.
required pilot, plane, amo, and bullet proof glass, etc, etc...
And the other air forces didn't?  They all had this stuff.
And anyone saying "only luftwaffe saw other planes" is an fing joke!
For most of the war Luftwaffe pilots had much better access to enemy aircraft than did other sides.  Obviously 1940 would be the other direction with the Brits having better access.
Anotherwords, allieds claiming a nation didn't see enemy fighters, on continental Europe durring ww2, is a joke!
Nobody claims that they didn't see enemy fighters.  What we point out is that they saw fewer enemy aircraft.  Another aspect is that there were fewer enemy aircraft to go around.  Add to that the different policies allowed by the superior Allied position, Luftwaffe you fly until you die or are too badly wounded, American/British you fly a number of operations and then are done.

Check wikipedia.org, "list of ww2 flying aces"
Most nations involved were averaging 50-125 about losses per day, to the luftwaffes 50(? I forget) per day...
33,000 109s smoked 70,000 enemy planes bout, and considering the sway of stats do to losing at end, prooves the point, 109s and 190s were indeed uber alles!
*Edit, need to post that link for losses per day...
And?

109s and 190s PWNT alle das arses!!! Get over it!
Call out Franz stupid thread!   :D
You seem to conflate things at your convenience.  You get frustrated that the German aircraft don't dominate in AH, primarily a fighter vs fighter game, so you turn to WWII kills and show how well they did against air forces as a whole, many, many bombers included, the admittedly poorly trained VVS included and think you've made a point.

Well, you do make a point, but not the one you think you're making.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
Franz also doesn't seem to factor in that while it's true a lot of the LW aces made their mark in earlier variants of the 109, the fact is an awful lot of them also met their end in them. Not so much because they were bad pilots or it was a bad plane but their protracted TOD pretty much required them to fly until they died. Some made it thru to the end of the war, most did not. As such the guys that were flying the K-4 nearer wars end weren't exactly ace material for one and didn't have the time to rack up the numbers the other guys did for another. Either way the tide had turned on the LW and even the jets couldn't save them. I'd imagine those dead aces might not consider the K-4 so much of a tub especially vs the NME aircraft they'd have been facing at the end of the war which were also much improved (in many respects) variants of the same planes they'd have fought earlier in the war. It's not the plane---it's the pilot.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
the IX we have in game is the HFe (high altitude E wing) with the same merlin 26 engine  but rated for higher altitudes with full span wings

B3YT, what is this Merlin 26 you speak of?

The Spitfire IX HFe used a Merlin 70.