Author Topic: FesterMA submitted to HTC for use in Main Arena  (Read 9502 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Re: FesterMA submitted to HTC for use in Main Arena
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »
update.

HTC got the files and are reviewing them.

[NOTE: VIEW THIS ARENA BY GOING TO CUSTOM ARENAS AND SELECTING THE fester TERRAIN AND SET EVERYTHING TO DEFAULT AND CREATE THE CUSTOM ARENA OR VIEW IT OFFLINE.]

I do not anticipate any construction problems as I was extremely meticulous making the map.

the map is designed with a narrow but deep front to make it viable in off hours as well as prime time and allow land capture to not slow down the action.

will have to wait for final word on my gameplay setup decisions which in some cases like ozkansas have not been yet tried. (cv battle port areas, uncapturable gv area with capturable air base in center.) however these setups were made from the basis of experience of playing the game over a decade and I believe they will be fun points of conflict.

the gv/airbase chains however have been tried in ozkansas and I think are very successful in combined land and air battles. in this map they have been expanded to allow areas to be captured while keeping the fight going up to the prize of being in position to ground assault the enemies city where extensive railroad and convoy routes are between the gv bases next to the city.

I hope HTC will allow these concepts to be used in this MA and if they are not enjoyable I will update the map and remove or redesign them but i think they will work. I hope their willingness to trust me like they did with the ozkansas terrain setup will be continued on this MA terrain.

also a point of note is every country is given an advantage front and a disadvantage front by starting ownership of the captureable fleet in the middle of each sea flanked by a friendly and enemy uncapturable fleet spawning nearby from an uncapturable port.

in turn on the front where a country has a CV group advantage they start with one less gv base in the ozkansas chain on the same front giving them a slight disadvantage in the battle in the middle of the map.

keep in mind this is the starting setup and is possibly a short term advantage that can be changed in the first attacks by any of the countries as these advantages and disadvantages lie directly on the very front line starting positions.

the decision to give the southeast country ownership of the middle base at start was based on its position. in the history of AH the southeast country is almost always attacked more than the north and west ones. the reasons for this are not clear cut but it was also the owner country of the base in the original version of the map years ago and in spite of this or maybe because of it the southeast country was ussually the one being attacked most.

the uncapturable vbases flanking the center base are not meant to be a tank town so much as a checkmate to the airbase that will put it under constant threat of capture from any coordinated attack. with the vbases nearby the airbase can be easily disabled by ground attack no matter which country has ownership of it. I think of the uncapturable center vbases in these mountains as dug into the hills and impossible to eliminate insurgency type entities in a sense.

heres a pic of the layout. I put red boxes around the uncapturable bases similar to how they look in game.
(Image removed from quote.)
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
It wont make it in its lacking in so many ways.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »

In what ways?

I spent an hour with fester, checking out the map as he explained the purpose of the layout and the gameplay features.  From that conversation I can certainly tell you alot of thought was put into the making of this map. Every location of each airfield, every spawn, altitudes of airfields and the terrain tiles used are all there for a specific reason. Even the rotation of base captures along the map was taken into account.
I cant say if the map will work in terms of gameplay in the MA, but I'm really excited about what I see.  Hopefully HTC will like it too.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
hosting Fester MA in custom arenas for next 30 min or so if anyone is interested in looking it over.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »

Funny, all that time we used it before seemed to work out pretty well.  :headscratch:

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »
Funny, all that time we used it before seemed to work out pretty well.  :headscratch:

Indeed it did.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
Very kool driving pt's down a river to a neighbor base amphibious assault  :rock
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2013, 11:33:53 PM »
I hope it makes it in.  The more maps the better and this one looks good.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »
appreciate your hard work but honestly I never liked large maps; imop the 4 old small maps Baltic, small isle,uterus and Mindanao are still the best maps on rotation.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »
It's not the number of fields that kills the big maps, it is the length of the front lines. Too many front line fields means diluted gameplay. Fester's map has the fields laid out in rows from the front line back, so players wont have much more choice of base to up/spawn from than on a small map.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
when I designed this map and ozkansas I used a large map area but was committed to making the battle area only slightly larger than the small maps...

I view them as medium maps using a large map area...

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2013, 05:17:58 AM »
when I designed this map and ozkansas I used a large map area but was committed to making the battle area only slightly larger than the small maps...

I view them as medium maps using a large map area...

This is a great concept, Fester, as it allows those who want to get to a fight in a congested area quickly to do so, but also allows realistic climb outs for bombers and flanking actions for those who want to play more strategically!

Your new map looks great and I hope it is approved for LWMA rotation :aok
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »
I hope it makes it in.  The more maps the better and this one looks good.
+1
Lighten up Francis

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »
for those that you mentioned that like the strategy aspect the flanks are certainly available for land grab from land or sea based missions.

the part I want to experience most is driving up the ozkansas center vbase airbase chain straight into the enemy city and smashing it with a massive ground assault  :devil

so few maps let gv dweebs indulge themselves in the ultimate toolshed dweebery of leveling the city. if the gv dweebs are able to take the whole ozkansas chain they have a treat at the end of it to run amok with and facilitate the map being reset.

nice targets are between the gv spawns and the cities... trains, convoys, multiple railroad tracks and a road all along the route providing nice targets of oportunity. along with a counter spawn from the next base that the defending country can use to continue the gv war with of course.

bombers were taken into consideration too.

one of the uncapturable bases on each country (a1,a2,a3) is high altitude and also has a clear runway over run area with no obstacles extending a mile or so beyond the runways so even a 100% full bombload b29 can takeoff on auto with no fear of crashing ( a big deal for some bomber fans). shorter time to climb to alt and no death on takeoff in a very expensive bomber :)

the center base with the vbases is high altitude but has hills on all sides making takeoff more dangerous but the base ownership gives bombers a clear route to the enemy cities and a shorter climb to altitude by being a high alt base... if they can get past the wirbels from the uncapturable vbases that will likely be lurking looking for wallowing fat bomb laiden targets trying to gain altitude.