Author Topic: Dar bars not working  (Read 753 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Dar bars not working
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
I finally caught this weird phenomenon in a screen shot. That little dot next to the sun, that's a spitfire at 3,000ft, yet on the map there is no dar bar around for miles. Turns out there were 3 planes over the port, all 3K or more and there was never any dar bar.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Re: Dar bars not working
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
fog of war is on for darbars.

I believe it deliberately does not show accurate darbar information in areas your not in.

however I think once you are in icon range the darbar should be accurate at least on your front end.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

I believe it deliberately does not show accurate darbar information in areas your not in.

however I think once you are in icon range the darbar should be accurate at least on your front end.

This is the first I've ever heard of this.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:34:53 AM »

Is that true? Can someone from HTC confirm this?

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:23:58 AM »
I hope it's ok to quote Skuzzy!  This is from a post earlier this year.

This may help explain about dar bar. Just like what Fester said.

Here's what I was told in regards to airplanes entering sectors:

"The radar bar does not update in real time.  It is a timed update.  It will
depend on where you are in relation to the sector line and how long you were
in the sector, as well as how long the other player was in the sector.
Clipping a corner of a sector can result in not seeing the radar bar
trigger, or it can.  It would depend on the last update time.

Lot of variables involved.

'Dar' bar is supposed to be 'iffy'.  Not absolute.  It is designed that way
so as to allow the potential for being surprised."

"Again, bar updates are not real time.  When you got within visible view
range, your computer triggered the radar bar update to everyone.  All he had
to do was be in the sector longer than you and he could have gotten an
update before you."

92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:36:54 AM »
The darbar is buggy way beyond that explanation you quoted. And it has not been that way all the time.

Two friendly bombers, flying across the map at 20k+, not causing a darbar at all... is a bug.
Upping for suspected NOE cons flashing strats, and finding 15k bombers at arrival (with suddenly appearing darbar at that moment), is a bug.
Running into 3-4 high alt interceptors without any previous dar in this or any adjacent sector, is a bug.
Watching a base flash with no dar, then seeing lotta cons with sudden darbar when going there (and the cons weren't a NOE raid that just popped) is a bug.

None of that has anything to do with a short delay, clipped map, or not being in arena long enough. All of this is a bug, because it only strated to happen a few years ago with no public statement that a big 'random' factor has now been introduced to the game

All of that above has been happening to me while watching the map continuosly for 15+ minutes, without minimizing AH or similar stuff. Tt happens frequently but irregularly and it happens to a lot of folks for a long time now.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:09 AM »
All of this is a bug, because it only strated to happen a few years ago with no public statement that a big 'random' factor has now been introduced to the game

Will we see a big green checkmark next to this post? It didn't get one last time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:23:22 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »
I have noticed the same thing many times, and the frequency of such has been much higher over the past 3-4 months.

The specific situation I have noticed the most is no darbar over their (eny) base, but when I arrive to attack it all of a sudden there can be one (usually) or sometimes 2 eny planes as high as 10-12K  above the general area. I keep the map up and watch almost all the time while I'm in transit and have noticed too many occasions where this happens for it to be anything other than a bug.

I believe I've saved at least one, maybe more films of this...not at my home computer atm or I'd say for sure. I'll follow up, but if an aspect of the game is there to function, than it should function as such, if not get rid of it. That is the first I've ever heard anyone mention anything about fog of war in here...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »
I have noticed the same thing many times, and the frequency of such has been much higher over the past 3-4 months.

The specific situation I have noticed the most is no darbar over their (eny) base, but when I arrive to attack it all of a sudden there can be one (usually) or sometimes 2 eny planes as high as 10-12K  above the general area. I keep the map up and watch almost all the time while I'm in transit and have noticed too many occasions where this happens for it to be anything other than a bug.

I believe I've saved at least one, maybe more films of this...not at my home computer atm or I'd say for sure. I'll follow up, but if an aspect of the game is there to function, than it should function as such, if not get rid of it. That is the first I've ever heard anyone mention anything about fog of war in here...
:airplane: There must be something going on because last night, on current map, we were attacking P-11 and a small dar bar in upper left hand corner of sector, where all the dars are shown, but when we arrived at the port, 1 a/c about 1,000 AGL and 3 more between 3 and 5 thousand, dar bar still showing what usually shows with one aircraft in sector.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »
it is range based somewhere,

Just sitting in the tower doesn't give you the whole picture. 

I've got my guys together started flying toward the enemy base.   They must have seen our dar and upped a good 5 minutes before I'm aware of anything then when the range limit is broken the dar spikes and says actually no there are 5 guys up and it matches ours.   

Then meet them co-alt at 10k or whatever.   The British radar would go into France and anything at height would be presented.  Where the maps in the MA are so big I think it is right for it to be a little "iffy"   and it does keep you on your toes. 

I can see why snailman doesn't like it because it tampers with his logical approach to playing the game and open to attack from above if he wasn't expecting it!   :old:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 07:41:55 AM »
I can see why snailman doesn't like it because it tampers with his logical approach to playing the game

Exactly. I would expect it to be logical and consistent instead of being random. Thus, I call it a bug, because I never found

it is range based somewhere,

...being true. Most of the time it works as supposed, I can see the darbar from a  single enemy bomber formation wandering across the map from a dozen sectors away. And then all of a sudden other bombers magically appear 15K above me over the flashing strats, having caused not a single darbar all the way. Or 2 friendly bomber formations in an adjacent sector going to the same targe as me, creating no darbar on my FE despite cruising at 20k+

It's totally random. And I'm not talking about a direct relation between darbar size and numebr of enemy cons, but the very basic thing if there's a darbar at all. 90% of the time it works as it should, and then all of a sudden high alt planes come out of nowhere.

As long as HTC doesn't state it's supposed to be that random I call it a bug, a quite annoying one.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »
Darbar can't be trusted  :old:

I acts like it's made from twigs and old boot laces  :old:

Typing like zack is rather effective when getting across the silliness of the darbar :old:

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:20:07 AM »
Back to page 1.  It's still an issue...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org