Author Topic: Spitfire Mark I Handling  (Read 2502 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Re: Spitfire Mark I Handling
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »
washout is a design function intended to stall the Outer portion of the wing first to allow for recovery.

I thought it's just the opposite of that.  Washout makes the angle of attack of the outer portion of the wing less than the inner.  Wings stall when the angle of attack goes beyond a certain limit so with the angle less on the outer portion of the wing than the inner, the inner will stall first.  This is done so the outer portion of one wing doesn't stall first causing a rapid roll to that side (tip stall).  At least that is how washout is described for designing model airplanes.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
You are correct. Also when you employ flaps it increases the effective washout so you have more aileron control into the stall.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »
There was a diagram showing them behind it, I guess the one I looked at was misleading.

Long-range PR Spits had additional tanks behind the cockpit and in the wings. Regularly flew to Berlin and back.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 04:19:08 AM »
Long-range PR Spits had additional tanks behind the cockpit and in the wings. Regularly flew to Berlin and back.

(Image removed from quote.)
:airplane: You keep impressing me with all this info you come up with and post for us guys! THANKS :salute
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »
our mark1 is a PR model ! scandalous

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
:airplane: You keep impressing me with all this info you come up with and post for us guys! THANKS :salute

You're welcome  :salute
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."