Author Topic: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA  (Read 6198 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »
Setting a separate arena for GVs is not good in the grand scheme of this game. A GV main arena will mean that AH has effectively split into two games that compete against each other - players cannot be in two arenas at the same time. Since you will want to play with your squad mates and in-game friends, frequent arena hopping will not happen. The result is two communities with two different requests and development branches - modeling a new plane contributes nothing to the "other" game and vice versa when modeling a tank.

I do support GV areas within the terrains of the main arena. Some terrains already have a string of GV fields that are not very close to air bases and do no threaten air bases by not having spawn points near them. A good example is the ilands map where some remote islands have only GV fields on them and it is quite a travel to fly there from a land air base. Yes, the occasional attacker/bomber may fly there and drop some ords but you don't normally see continuous air presence over them. placing a high ridge between them and the nearest air base will deter players from grabbing a bomber formation and carpet bombing the GVs from low alt. We need more of these regions in main arena maps.

V-base spawning to another v-base is almost pure GV battle. V-base with a spawn point to an A-base is an invitation to an air strike.

I prefer your alternative as well, but most maps aren't like this.  In my experience, a one-sector-away airbase is plenty close enough for people to be willing to fly to the GV battle with attack aircraft.  Heck, even in CraterMA TT, with 13K mountains and 2-sector separation, there are always ground attack griefers in there.  So, it would be interesting to try a GV-only arena if that's the only fix they're willing to do.  It would be easy enough to remove if it didn't work.  

MH
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:32:24 PM by TDeacon »

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
Good luck on this, and I will put it on my calendar, but I disagree with the "good indicator" premise for a number of reasons (like it's AVA, it's one-time-only, the terrain and available GVs may not appeal, etc.).

Do you have a thread somewhere giving details?

MH

EDIT:  Thanks for posting the thread.  I see you have ground attack planes with 500 pounders.  So not at all a "good indicator" of a the popularity of a GV-only arena.

if so many people want to fight in tanks and want planes out of the way, contact me or one of the other admins and we'll disable all the bombs on the planes in the AVA for your fighting pleasure. then you will be free to move about the cabin, so to speak! we, the AVA staff, would be happy to accommodate if it was going to draw a crowd at a particular time.

the AVA and its staff is happy to make it playable for everyone.

if you want my cell phone number so you can text me when you're in there, i'm happy to provide it in a pm.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:52:16 PM by captain1ma »