Author Topic: Need A Joystick  (Read 1788 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Need A Joystick
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
I wanted a joystick a joystick for flying fighters... seeming as I have to grow out of bombers sooner or later, I should stop flying mouse when I fly fighters. Anyways, I'm looking for a joystick compatible with Windows Vista/XP. Something affordable, seeming as alot of my money isn't being put towards gaming, I'd say no more than $80?
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Online SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Need A Joystick
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »
I don't have any personal experience, but I have heard good things about the Thrustmaster T16000. They can be found online for around $50.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »
+1  Have one, love it. Have also heard IRL from several long time flight sim vets that it's very good.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
i dont know about that thrustmaster but i have used a bunch of joysticks over my years here and i found that the Saitek X52 Pro stick and throttle to be my best stick yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X52-Flight-System-Controller/dp/B000LQ4HTS
found here for starting at 75 bucks

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:32:06 AM by kilz »
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »
I have two slightly used joysticks available:

A Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - used 2 or 3 weeks - mint condition, with original box.

A Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X - used about a month - mint condition but no box.

Both are plug and play usb sticks. 

Send a PM if you want one of those.  $20 will get one to your door if you live in the lower 48 states.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:10 PM »
I have two slightly used joysticks available:

A Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - used 2 or 3 weeks - mint condition, with original box.

A Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X - used about a month - mint condition but no box.

Both are plug and play usb sticks. 

Send a PM if you want one of those.  $20 will get one to your door if you live in the lower 48 states.

I think you should change your call sign to ebay because you always give the best deals.  :salute

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:51:27 AM »
I have a saitek 45 for sale..  $35 dollars to your door..            In great shape
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:56:28 AM by wpeters »
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
I think you should change your call sign to ebay because you always give the best deals.  :salute

Thank you sir.  :salute

BTW, the Holy Grail of controllers may be the next one up for sale, sometime soon...
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Online SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »
Thank you sir.  :salute

BTW, the Holy Grail of controllers may be the next one up for sale, sometime soon...

Just out of curiosity, what is the holy grail of controllers these days?
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
I wanted a joystick a joystick for flying fighters... seeming as I have to grow out of bombers sooner or later, I should stop flying mouse when I fly fighters. Anyways, I'm looking for a joystick compatible with Windows Vista/XP. Something affordable, seeming as alot of my money isn't being put towards gaming, I'd say no more than $80?

Microsoft sidwinder, they don't make them anymore but you can get them on ebay for like 10 bucks. Sensors are optical, never spikes or needs calibrating. I started flight simming in 1997 in AW with the same microsoft stick that I still use today. They come in gameport or usb, but the usb stick is just a gameport stick with an adapter for usb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Precision-Pro-Game-Controller-Joystick-w-USB-/231083006991?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item35cd9edc0f
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
I should add, it comes with software but you don't need it. I think the last time I installed the software was like 4 PC's ago. It's only usefull if you want to program macros to your sticks buttons.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »
Thanks guys for all the replies.  :aok

I have my mind settled on Caldera's Thrustmaster T, or a Saitek X-45 Pro. Just waiting to hear back from caldera. In the meantime I will still take suggestions.  :airplane:
Do not run.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 08:48:25 AM »
Well at least you won't know what you're missing. The x45 was the worst joystick I ever had, spikey, needed calibrating and felt like a toilet plunger. The x45 throttle was nice I actually used that, but I can't remember if the switches worked without software, the switches wore out in a year anyway.

If you buy a $10 ms sidewinder and you don't like it because you're left handed or something, you're only out $10.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »
Well at least you won't know what you're missing. The x45 was the worst joystick I ever had, spikey, needed calibrating and felt like a toilet plunger. The x45 throttle was nice I actually used that, but I can't remember if the switches worked without software, the switches wore out in a year anyway.

If you buy a $10 ms sidewinder and you don't like it because you're left handed or something, you're only out $10.
Hearing this I'm not sure about the x45 pro. It seems to have a pretty hefty price tag on it.... And if it's junk then it's not worth it. I'll look into the ms sidewinder.
Do not run.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »
While checking things out, CHECK THIS OUT. From what I've read it's pretty good. My brother in law just got one and I found it to be very smooth and well built. I love my CH products setup, but if I were to buy a new stick it would be this one. It has hal sensors and so no "pot" spiking that most stick get after a lot of use. And the price is pretty good as well.