Author Topic: Beautiful Sisters  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
Beautiful Sisters
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:38:53 PM »
Lady Lex was my grandfather's first duty assignment when he reported aboard as a young flying Ensign in January of 1938 in an SB2U. In my honest opinion there has never been two more beautiful and graceful ships than The Lady Lex and Sister Sara. I would have loved to be on Lex's shake down cruise when she still had that new carrier smell!

Debate amongst yourselves.  :D
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Beautiful Sisters
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
Several years ago I read the obit for an older guy I knew but didn't take the time to get to know. Turns out, he was a young seaman onboard the Lady Lex when she was sunk at Coral Sea. What a bonehead that I never took the time to ask. Imagine the front row I would have had...if I only I would have asked!!!

Yes, sex appeal is high on that Lady!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:52:23 PM »
I'm partial to the the Bunker Hill (CV-17) myself,

but that's just a personal thing.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
Battlecruisers are generally pretty warships and both Saratoga and Lexington were laid down as battlecruisers, only to be changed to carriers due to the Washington Naval Treaty.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
Battlecruisers are generally pretty warships and both Saratoga and Lexington were laid down as battlecruisers, only to be changed to carriers due to the Washington Naval Treaty.

I know. That's one of many reasons they were so unique, beautiful, efficient and fast. You can see how her designers blended her battlecruiser lines so well into her hanger deck and upper structure. Her fully enclosed bow was something that wouldn't be seen again in American flattops until the Essex class underwent their post war SCB-125 modernizations. Their turbo electric drives were very successful and even powered the City of Tacoma for about 30 days over the winter of 29-30.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »
The first WWII history paperback I ever read was about the Lexington.  I don't remember what it was titled.  I was ten or twelve or so.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:30:16 AM »
It must have been exciting. To have been there at the dawn of an era.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:39:52 AM »
I, too, love the graceful look of the first Lexington Carrier and the Saratoga. I also have a soft spot for the second 'Lady Lex' since my father served on her during her final West Pac (transitioning to the Constellation on her first). And, like Sik, have a bit of an attachment to the Bunker Hill (VF-17 was CV-17's original fighter squadron, though they were replaced and offloaded to the islands due to logistical constraints).

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
I wish we had a Lexington Class carrier option in the game. Especially in her original configuration because with no battleships available, those magnificent 8 inch batteries would work wonders on enemy bases. But then again, the bad guys would get her to and give us a sound thumping from time to time.  :O

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
I wish we had a Lexington Class carrier option in the game. Especially in her original configuration because with no battleships available, those magnificent 8 inch batteries would work wonders on enemy bases. But then again, the bad guys would get her to and give us a sound thumping from time to time.  :O

Maybe someday (as stated, I share this love affair). I think events would be better served by modeling a Shokaku class Japanese carrier at this time (Shokaku, Zuikaku):

Design

The Shōkaku-class carriers were part of the same program that also included the Yamato-class battleships. No longer restricted by the provisions of the Washington Naval Treaty, which expired in December 1936, the Imperial Japanese Navy was free to incorporate all those features they deemed most desirable in an aircraft carrier, namely high speed, a long radius of action, heavy protection and a large aircraft capacity.

With an efficient modern design, a displacement of about 32,000 long tons (33,000 t), and a top speed of 34 kn (63 km/h; 39 mph), the Shōkaku class could carry 70-80 aircraft. Their enhanced protection compared favorably to that of contemporary Allied aircraft carriers and enabled Shōkaku to survive serious battle damage during Coral Sea and Santa Cruz.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dkaku-class_aircraft_carrier

Armament

Shōkaku's primary air defense consisted of sixteen 127 mm (5.0 in) dual-purpose AA guns in twin mountings. These were sited below flight deck level on projecting sponsons with four such paired batteries on either side of the ship's hull, two forward and two aft. Four fire control directors were installed, two on the port side and two to starboard. A fifth fire control director was located atop the carrier's island and could control any or all of the heavy-caliber guns as needed.[3]

Initially, light AA defense was provided by twelve triple-mount 25 mm (0.98 in) AA guns. Further mounts were added in 1943.[3]

Zuikaku cruising toward Hitokappu Bay, Iturup, in November 1941. The carrier Kaga is seen in the background.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
Oh, and modeling both the Yamato class and Iowa class BBs with dedicated BB fleets would make for some interesting slug-fest potential.

Offline TGG93

• Copper Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
Oh, and modeling both the Yamato class and Iowa class BBs with dedicated BB fleets would make for some interesting slug-fest potential.

Throw in the Bismarck and King George V classes for some Atlantic brawls in that case and I shall be content.

Just don't give us the Hood.   :eek:
The Few.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
Throw in the Bismarck and King George V classes for some Atlantic brawls in that case and I shall be content.

Just don't give us the Hood.   :eek:
I pity the Bismark or KG5 class BB that finds itself engaged with an Iowa or Yamato class BB.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »
I pity the Bismark or KG5 class BB that finds itself engaged with an Iowa or Yamato class BB.

My how we digress from the topic.  :lol

Wanna try the match-up then get yourself a copy of Fighting Steel. I've done that battle and others many times over.

http://www.navalwarfare.org/