Author Topic: Another Interesting Question  (Read 1041 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Another Interesting Question
« on: October 05, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
 :airplane: Well, we have certainly had some interesting comments on another thread, "Interesting Questions", so I thought people might enjoy these questions!
#1- There are four basic forces which affect aircraft in flight, what are they?

#2- There are 3 axis which all aircraft operate about, what are they?

#3- There are 6 basic controls which control the aircraft in flight, what are they?

#4- When taxiing downwind, with the wind coming at you from your 5 O'clock position, in what position should you have your controls?

#5- When taxiing into the wind, wind coming at you from your 10 O'clock position, how should you position your flight controls?

#6- When going through your pre takeoff engine check and checking your magneto's and the wind is from your 10 O'clock position, which way should you position your aircraft for this test?

#7- When Taxiing for takeoff to the active runway, you receive a "amber-green-amber" biscuit gun signal from the tower, what does that mean?

#8- When the tower clears you to hold short of the active runway, you should turn your aircraft in which direction when you stop and are awaiting clearance for takeoff?

#9- When approaching a non radio controlled airfield for landing, how should you enter the traffic pattern?

#10- When approaching a airfield with Unicom only radio, you should, prior to entering a 10 mile circle around the field, do what?

If you had rather not answer the questions in the forum, you can PM me with answers and I will discuss them with you!  :cheers:
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Another Interesting Question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
#2  Germany, Italy and Japan.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
#1 money, Money, MOney, MONEY
Pies not kicks.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »
#2 Longitudinal (roll), vertical (yaw),  lateral (pitch).

#4 "Dive away from tailwind" -- stick in the front left corner.  This puts the right, upwind, aileron down to the wind won't life the wing.  Elevator is down for same reason, holds the tail down instead of lifting it.

#5 "Climb into headwind"  Stick in aft right corner.  Left, upwind, aileron is up holding upwind wing down, elevator is up holding tail down.

#6 Into the wind for engine cooling

#8  Assuming this is at the approach end of the runway you intend to takeoff from, if possible I turn to face the final approach course to so I can see approaching traffic.

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »
#2 Longitudinal (roll), vertical (yaw),  lateral (pitch).

#4 "Dive away from tailwind" -- stick in the front left corner.  This puts the right, upwind, aileron down to the wind won't life the wing.  Elevator is down for same reason, holds the tail down instead of lifting it.

#5 "Climb into headwind"  Stick in aft right corner.  Left, upwind, aileron is up holding upwind wing down, elevator is up holding tail down.

#6 Into the wind for engine cooling

#8  Assuming this is at the approach end of the runway you intend to takeoff from, if possible I turn to face the final approach course to so I can see approaching traffic.

:banana: Those answers are correct!

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »
#7- When Taxiing for takeoff to the active runway, you receive a "amber-green-amber" biscuit gun signal from the tower, what does that mean?

The commissary is serving pumpkin-lime-pumpkin cookies...

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
1. thrust, drag, lift, gravity
3. throttle, elevators, rudder, aileron, prop pitch, and mixture?

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
1. thrust, drag, lift, gravity
3. throttle, elevators, rudder, aileron, prop pitch, and mixture?

:airplane: TRIM and FLAPs, first three answers correct! :salute, Mixture not one, nor is prop pitch.

Throttle, elevator, rudder, aileron, flaps, trim!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:21:20 PM by earl1937 »

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »
#1 money, Money, MOney, MONEY

Or as the FAA looks at it....When the weight of the paperwork equals the gross weight of the aircraft it can fly.
Columbo

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
:airplane: TRIM and FLAPs, first three answers correct! :salute, Mixture not one, nor is prop pitch.

Throttle, elevator, rudder, aileron, flaps, trim!

Yeah.. but you confused me with the question ;)  Aren't there three separate trim controls (elevator, aileron, rudder)?

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
What about aircraft without flaps,(J-3), with rudevators,(V-tail bonanza), and aircraft with spoilers or flaperons?
Pies not kicks.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »
Yeah.. but you confused me with the question ;)  Aren't there three separate trim controls (elevator, aileron, rudder)?
:airplane: Sorry about the confusion, I should have stated, in non-complex aircraft, what are the 6 basic controls needed for safe flight. Most trainers are not complex aircraft as defined by the FAA. You have to get to fairly complex aircraft before having trim on all three axis controls.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
What about aircraft without flaps,(J-3), with rudevators,(V-tail bonanza), and aircraft with spoilers or flaperons?
:airplane: There were a "ton" of aircraft designed and built in the late 30's and through out the 40's which had only the four basic flight controls, plus elevator trim, J-3, Taylorcraft, Ercoupe, Luschome, PA-12, PA-22's and so forth. What the question was based on was the modern day basic flight training aircraft. The reason the modern day trainer does not have trim on all three flight controls, or constant speed props or seats you can sit on for 15 minutes with out hurting, is COST.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
do flying wings have rudder pedals?