Author Topic: How to Track Torpedoes  (Read 862 times)

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
How to Track Torpedoes
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
Need help with the following please:

I have film of a torpedo run I made with Ki-67's against a CV.  I can see my torpedoes drop and start their run, but as I pull away to egress of course they go out of view.

Is there some way using the film that I can switch to a view following my torpedoes to see if I had too much or too little lead.  They didn't hit, so trying to figure this out and can't.

Thanks!

"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Re: How to Track Torpedoes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
That would be a nice feature!

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
 :salute +1

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »
The only way I know would be to slow the film down and use the arrow keys to follow as the film plays...I have done this to follow and get the path of tank rounds following the flash all the way to target for making an avi before.

Hmmm thinking about it...I'm not sure if it got fixed....but cv's didn't/don't show correctly in the film viewer so this may not work....even if you followed all the way in game with your plane this could be an issue
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:48:36 PM by SPKmes »

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »
I thought I had seen AH films on YouTube where you are following the bombs down to the target, but maybe I'm mistaken.  I thought if you could follow bombs down you could also follow torpedoes.  Maybe not.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a feature that is there somewhere.

Thanks!
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:28:46 AM »
+1
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:16:41 AM »
   We need one of those Squirrel cameras mounted on a torpedo.  :banana:

+1
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
It would certainly aid those of us who still believe in the power of a torpedo... It'd be nice to see a torpedo mission...

As is, it is very difficult to track your own torps for training purposes.. .Like most others, Igave up on my torp runs as I just didn't have an answer.

+1 to Ordinance View (Bombs, Rockets, OR Torpedoes!)

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
My wish in this regard is for some targets for torpedoes that aren't CV groups. There is a tutorial for using aerial torpedoes but the combination of air cover from the CV, ack from all the support ships and the dread proximity fused 5 inch gun makes the prospect of survival remote. Without being able to see the track of the torpedoes it is impossible to tell in which direction to correct your aim. These problems mean that virtually nobody uses aerial torpedoes. While it is nice to develop an obscure skill despite frustrating obstacles I think the game would be improved if more players felt that torpedoes were a viable option.

To that end I would like to see a solo cruiser or a cargo convoy without super ack. My thinking is that if players are able to develop torpedo skills on these softer targets then they might be willing to join a torpedo mission against the deadly CV.
Pies not kicks.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »
this could be achieved in the offline arena or even a custom arena by switching off guns to the carrier groups....now if somebody with knowledge on how to do this could put up a blurb with pics that would be helpful....I know where you adjust arena settings and could probably bumble my way though it...but a little info rundown to save time and frustration would be awesome

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »
this could be achieved in the offline arena or even a custom arena by switching off guns to the carrier groups....

Much easier to simply disable "protect objects" (to be found in Arena Settings under 'Arena Flags') and to attack your own cruisers. You can them simply up from the CV, get a few K separation and attack (&sink) your own ships without ack interfering.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »

Much easier to simply disable "protect objects" (to be found in Arena Settings under 'Arena Flags') and to attack your own cruisers. You can them simply up from the CV, get a few K separation and attack (&sink) your own ships without ack interfering.

Very nice thank you....I actually had you in mind typing this as the person to answer this... cheers Lusche

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
I had taken into account that you could practice offline. While that is great for the dedicated it doesn't seem to matter as,if it did, people would be using torpedoes in the death arena. As it stands it will continue being the esoteric pursuit of a few dedicated souls, a sadly underused feature of the game.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »
For easy practice, along with disabling Protect Objects, you can change the Downtime Multiplier to something like 0.1 or 0.06 to have your destroyed ship pop back up in about a minute or so.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals