Author Topic: CV ACK!!!  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
Re: CV ACK!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Odd that no one complains when ack pops the brewster that was on their six or takes out the B26 formation that was lined up on the friendly cv?   :D
AMAX  in game

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »
Odd that no one complains when ack pops the brewster that was on their six or takes out the B26 formation that was lined up on the friendly cv?   :D

I have yet to see puffy ack taking out a formation of bombers after all these years.
Human 5" gunners, yes, but never auto puffy.

;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:39 AM »

That's because it never happens.  I've done the tests.  The CV auto puffy has a 10% chance of taking out one of the three buffs in a formation before they drop on the CV and a zero percent chance of taking out all three before they sink the CV.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »
Ok, ok, the point being no one complains when ack saves their plane or boat.
AMAX  in game

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 02:58:54 AM »
Let me tell you a story: it happened in late 2010, i was pretty much of a newb, dweeb and all kinds of simmilar stuff.

Some bishops were trying to take one of our bases (horde), so upped a jet, but by the time i got there, they captured the field. Someone wrote on country that there is a b24 set coming to our boat a sector away, at 16k, someone get him before he reaches his target. Was already at 12k, with a short zoom climb i quickly got to 18k, on the way to intercept the bombers. Got there just in time, right before the drop. One pass, one drone, another pass, another drone, last pass, main one got lighten up, weee! There comes my own puffy, as i pass away from that burning wreckage, i hear some puffy pops and some strange noise... the very first puffy pop fired on that burning bomber could light up my jet. Oh, poop. The CV i just saved, killed me.

LYNCH all the CVs  ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:44 AM »
I do a lot of strat runs and I keep logs, so I am able to determine the true percentage of bombers I have lost to strat puffy ack:

Only once I lost two planes in a single mission to puffy ack, it was in the Arado.

This is of course not representative, as the number of missions for most planes but the Superfortress are too low for being so.
Also, the conditions are quite different for the different planes. Not only in altitude (depicted), but also speed and more importantly time spend in puffy - In Ar 234, Mossie or Ki-67 I always do single quick passes over the edge of the area only, while in the B-29 I often do 5-7 passes all across the strats, with loiter times over target up to 45 minutes.

But neverthenless it's some hard data.  :old:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:25:40 AM by Lusche »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »
If the terrain builing process was more accessible and not so incredibly time consuming, I would go and create a terrain where i could really test puffy effects on planes in a controlled environment  :old:

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:37 AM »
Believe me you Bishop are welcome to have Admiral Walleye. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »
I'm always amazed when people complain about being shot down by CV auto puffy ack.  I've been on AH since version 1.0 and I have only been shot down by CV ack once, and that was my own CV.

Then you've never been around an enemy cv for any length of time.

That being said, while I've died due to puffy numerous times...it's not something that would drive me off the MAs.  It's something one lives with....like HOing, hording and ch200...tho' I admit that is a voluntary burden.  :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
Avoiding CV ack is all in the training. You can thank me later  :D http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=08c_1381852155
Lighten up Francis

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
Avoiding CV ack is all in the training. You can thank me later  :D http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=08c_1381852155

Or would be, if HTC fleet ack followed anything remotely like the laws of physics, but it doesn't. In AH, the best way to avoid being hit by a task group's ack is to fly straight and level directly towards it with a tight V of bombers under 10k. Violently maneuvering a nimble fighter several miles away is sure to get you killed by the same ack.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
Lusche: your data shows a 2.7% loss rate for B-29s flying 5 to 7 passes through the strat puffy ack.  That implies the probability of the puffy taking out all three planes in a formation under those conditions is about 20 out of a million.  So the probability of the CV puffy saving the CV, i.e. taking out all three bombers of a formation before they make even 1/2 pass through the ack, approaches one in a million.  So unless a million people have attempted to sink the CV with high level bombers, it's unlikely that the AH CV puffy has ever saved the CV.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
You can't compare that this directly, as I pass through the puffy ack at the strats at 28k. Attacks on the CV's are flown much lower (rarely higher than 10-12k) and slower.

But as I stated before... I never ever have seen a whole formation been taken out by puffy alone in all these years. So I would basically agree with the "one in a million" statement, even when not completely agreeing with your computation  ;)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »

really?  Do you have a film that shows a formation of buffs being taken out by the auto-ack?  I think bigfoot films are more common lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:10 AM »
The smaller the target, the faster it is, the HIGHER it is, the more likely it will be set on fire. Apparently the coading has hit a wall here
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/