Author Topic: Why is there a WW1 Arena anyway?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why is there a WW1 Arena anyway?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
During prime time...when the main rolls over, on those few occasions, there are sometimes 15 or 20 people in the wwi arena.

Initially a lot of people came to AH because of that arena, DOA was pretty much gone and most of the other wwi arenas are not very user friendly. A lot of those initial pilots were not historically AH folks.  Some just flew their free period and some stayed awhile longer, and a few are still around.  Since HT had designed the original DOA arena, which was popular for a number of years...there was hope he would work on this one.  When nothing happened to develop the arena, those folks who came over to fly there left.  

It's still great fun to fly those planes, and in fact you don't have to die.  The learning curve related to wwi planes is as steep as the curve related to wwii planes.  Flying with your wing mates, how you enter the fight and etc. etc. etc.. But without more people there and a more developed arena with diverse things to do it will be only what it is.  A lot of fun flying different planes once in awhile - when there are some others flying wwi planes.  

There is no reason to close the arena since it doesn't detract from the development of the game and most of the time doesn't even draw pilots away from the main.

There is an audience out there for these planes, but there isn't anything very satisfying available for many of them right now...so this old wwi guy remains ground-bound in a tank most of the time...which is also great fun.

One  

it was popular for a couple of weeks and only because it was a new arena with new planes to try.  then it died.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
...That, and the planes float around like bobble heads...

At least you noticed that Aces High is the only sim that does a decent WW1 flight model.  :aok

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
I love the ww1 arena and think there needs to be either AI or other objectives

Agree   :aok  The WW1 arena was a blast when enough people there. Sometimes would jump in for a few fights when the MA was changing maps.
    AI Blimps would be awesome!

Bombs for the AI battlefield

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
We had been polled by HTC if we would like to fly WW1 planes :)

I don't see any reason a Korean War Arena would not go the same way as WW1 arena - Initial high usage, rapid loss of interest and long agony to follow.
:airplane: I think you are way off on your estimate of game play in a Korean arena! I think the reason Hi Tech doesn't seriously consider it, is because the MLW arena would eventually die and become a WW1 arena. If all the aircraft which were flying during the Korean war, would be a lot more variety with everthing from "FAC's to F-86's. Tank battles would abound and plenty of Naval action for all.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
If HTC really wanted to, they could do short episodic missions, similar to what 343 did with Spartan Ops.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »
:airplane: I think you are way off on your estimate of game play in a Korean arena! I think the reason Hi Tech doesn't seriously consider it, is because the MLW arena would eventually die and become a WW1 arena. If all the aircraft which were flying during the Korean war, would be a lot more variety with everthing from "FAC's to F-86's. Tank battles would abound and plenty of Naval action for all.

I don't think so somehow, would be interesting if the WW1 was turned into a showdown arena though maybe mig 15 vs sabre or even modern day jets as long as it was always guns only.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »
WW1 is a really fun arena. It is too bad more people don't fly there.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."