Author Topic: Duelers need your opinions here on this matter.  (Read 6255 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Duelers need your opinions here on this matter.
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
So recently I have heard of people going to the DA and certain things being used for giving them a slight advantage in a co alt like plane fight. Like the ones in the DA between 23 and 24. The two things people have supposedly been doing is...

1. Climbing above the determined alt outside of visual range to build up more speed so you have that E advantage in the merge.

2. Dumping Ammo at takeoff down to enough rounds for that single kill....of course making your plane lighter in the fight.

Myself personally I don't do anything that isn't agreed upon by the duelers at the DA prior to flight, verbally and on film. I know BEs dueling bracket allowed for ammo dumping but in the normal informal duels I go strictly to merge alt and do not dump ammo unless agreed upon.

Do you guys do this whenever you guys go to the DA? I feel like it's kind of cheap if your not going to at least tell the person before hand so they can even up the fight.

Thoughts?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Duelers need your opinions here on this matter.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
I would only go to the DA with squaddies or friends so this kind of thing was never an issue

If you head to the.DA for some kind of grudge match then it's not at all surprising that some folks might resort to underhand methods to protect their precious egos

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
Can't remember... I think the last time I went 'dueling' in the DA was 2007  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
So recently I have heard of people going to the DA and certain things being used for giving them a slight advantage in a co alt like plane fight. Like the ones in the DA between 23 and 24. The two things people have supposedly been doing is...

1. Climbing above the determined alt outside of visual range to build up more speed so you have that E advantage in the merge.

I've had quite a few do this to me when I've gone to the DA.  As far as I'm concerned, if they need to cheat in the duel to beat me or at least stay competitive with me then I've already won, regardless of the outcome of the fight.

2. Dumping Ammo at takeoff down to enough rounds for that single kill....of course making your plane lighter in the fight.

Let them dump their ammo, it is not going to be a deciding factor in a fight.  It lets me know the guy I'm fighting is a total and complete unskilled 'tard.

Myself personally I don't do anything that isn't agreed upon by the duelers at the DA prior to flight, verbally and on film. I know BEs dueling bracket allowed for ammo dumping but in the normal informal duels I go strictly to merge alt and do not dump ammo unless agreed upon.

Do you guys do this whenever you guys go to the DA? I feel like it's kind of cheap if your not going to at least tell the person before hand so they can even up the fight.

Thoughts?

I do the same, I use the old school DA rules...same plane, 25% fuel, full ammo load out, 8k merge alt limit and no firing on first merge (cold merge).

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
I get alot of folks that agree on a certain plane and show up in a perk ride... i wish i had your problem :D

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
I've had quite a few do this to me when I've gone to the DA.  As far as I'm concerned, if they need to cheat in the duel to beat me or at least stay competitive with me then I've already won, regardless of the outcome of the fight.

Let them dump their ammo, it is not going to be a deciding factor in a fight.  It lets me know the guy I'm fighting is a total and complete unskilled 'tard.

I do the same, I use the old school DA rules...same plane, 25% fuel, full ammo load out, 8k merge alt limit and no firing on first merge (cold merge).

ack-ack

+1

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
First of all I duel guys solely to learn something and I stay away from those wannabe hotshots with the egos that think they have something to prove. Those types is where you'll find this kind of thing. And I never duel when or if I'm mad or with someone I don't like. Another thing is I pretty much only duel guys I know that are better than me as I can't learn better ACM if I'm already better than my opponent. So I go into every duel expecting to lose anyway. I've only run across one guy I knew was cheating during our duel, but I felt pretty good about it knowing he thought I was enough threat to his ego to stack the deck against me. The film of the fights and the different angles, throttle work, when the flaps were deployed etc. etc. is what's important to me....not the win.

:lol @ Lazerr
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:10:53 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
I have to admit, I have always accepted dumping unwanted ammunition, as with BE tourney, that ammo dumping is at the pilot's discretion.
Reason being that should the pilot run out of ammo, it's his own problem.
But if stated otherwise I would certainly abide by any rules placed.

But it's very interesting to read this. Surfinn created a thread entitled "Thank you Dolby" Which started like this;

Those dirty under handed tricks you taught me in our duel worked well when I employed the same against Junky yesterday.
Emptying all ammo but what was needed to shot the one ac down gave me the slight edge I needed to keep E and always have the uper hand on him. Climbing a 1000 ft above the agreed alt merge and diving in right before he got into Icon range gave me the merge advantage.

When asked by Junky how I was keeping my e so well I told him I was cheating Dolby style  :rofl

Thank you Dolby :t

I particularly take exception to his accusation that I, out of icon range, was climbing to gain an advantage.
I especially take exception to posting his bile to a squad I have just joined, in a feeble attempt to undermine my ability and credibility within their ranks.
I have never, outside of a few feet and a lapse in concentration, exceeded an agreed altitude in a duel.
I have infact been a victim of this however, by Surfinn himself, another time by a rather high flyer who said I would never beat him co-alt-co-E and I am glad they both lost the rounds where there was no funny business.
I have always prided myself in fairness co-E-co-alt, and never taught Surfinn anything dirty or underhanded.
Alts caps are a gentlemen's agreement to be adhered to.

Any Junky I'm sure you are pleased to read Surfinn's confession as much as I am outing him for the dirty underhanded dueller he has turned out.
I'm sure though that you must have had your suspicions prior to posting this thread.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
I get alot of folks that agree on a certain plane and show up in a perk ride... i wish i had your problem :D

A few years ago someone challenged me to the DA and after beating him a few times in various planes, I let him pick the next planes for our last fight.  He picked Dr.Is, so I upped one and proceed to fly off to merge with the other guy and he comes screaming at me in a P-38L, trying to HO me and collided with me instead.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
I have had people dump ammo before but never climb over the stated alt. If you win by cheating have you really won?
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
Dolby,
I had a little bit of suspicion as to where he get so much E on me. We were flying FM2s, a plane I'm not too familiar with but with most planes I can say I can hide/ gain E on someone in a fight pretty darn well....I wasn't seeing that sort of flying with him.

They were good fights and I'd do them again I just personally like to know the rules before the game starts....not while or after the games over.I'll have to check the film to see if you can tell the alt in it prior to vis to investigate.

Dolby, I fought you here and there and I can definitely say you don't need those advantages to win a fight....so he must have misunderstood you speaking on possibly the same rumors mentioned in the OP. I have seen them a lot recently as a reason people don't like to duel. I've learned too much ACM from them not to let them die off because some people tale advantage of the system.

In the end it's the fight that matters win or lose......but surfinn... you and I might need a rematch to put you in your placr :devil
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »
Quote from Dolby <snip> I especially take exception to posting his bile to a squad I have just joined, in a feeble attempt to undermine my ability and credibility within their ranks.

I've flown against you and around you for quite sometime Dolby and your ability and credibility has never been in question with me. I don't know if Surfinn was making a joke or has an axe to grind with you, but if it's the latter I hope you won't hold that against the rest of the squad. We're glad you joined us and would like to keep ya around because of that ability and credibility you have.
Lighten up Francis

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
Quite simply; if you beat 'im you're cheatin'.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:11:42 PM »
In the bracket tournament the only reason I allow ammo dumping is because there is no way to verify that it hasn't been done.  At least if everyone has the same option then the playing field is level.

The requirement to film from take-off and keep those films until the bracket's updated takes care of the alt for E cheat but admittedly someone would have to be called out on it for it to be investigated in the early rounds.

I do neither in the bracket or in the DA in general.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
These things should only be allowed if explicitly stated by agreement. That being said....I've never cared personally if someone does or not.   I've been known to drift slightly over the agreed alt (say 500 ft tops) by mistake but do my best to dump the minor E advantage.  
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)