Author Topic: Gunning from CV  (Read 1770 times)

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
Gunning from CV
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »
So I hop into the 8" to barrage a port....
hit my keys to enter Land mode (which by the way don't match up with the help files accesible from the home page)........and my guns scream off and point in a completely different direction.....am I missing something?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Gunning from CV
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »
They go to a default position in land mode. Open your clipboard map and click where you want to guns to point. From there, you can fine-tune it with your joystick (like gunning from a tank).
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
I'll give it more of a try later in the week, but when I click on the map (where I want it to go), the guns swing about 180 degrees from the 'aim point'. Not quite fine tuning

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »
I'll give it more of a try later in the week, but when I click on the map (where I want it to go), the guns swing about 180 degrees from the 'aim point'. Not quite fine tuning

I have the same problem.  Ever since the change in GV's/field and ship guns and mouse use I've never been able to get that mode to work again.  Clicking on the map doesn't do anything useful.  The only way to shell fields is if you can actually see them to see where you're hitting then align and fire manually using zoom.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:10:51 AM »
Shift Q is land mode.

First choice if you are 10k to 32k yards away is leave your guns at default, pull up the map and pull the target to the center of the map. Then hit shift_Q. Use your mouse and click center of the target on the map. If you are in range and gun arc. the guns will turn to target and adjust to the correct elevation. Just fire. Wait for hit feedback in the buffer, or click around the port, vbase, airfield or twon object box and keep shooting. All the while looking for text buffer feed back.

Second choice 10K and closer. First do everything from the first choice. Then put the map away and goto zoom. You will be looking through a Mil crosshair and see a yellow horizontal Mil hash sitting on top of the targeted area. On full zoom you can watch hits and make corrections with your joystick. The left hand HUD will show you correcting elevation in yards if you want to make granular changes.

In both land\sea modes you are looking through the Mil cross hair at a horizontal hash grid.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:22:47 AM »
Hello Ridley and BaldEagl,

Land Mode (and Sea Mode) firing does still work, but there are some tricks to it.  The first thing I'll address is what I think causes the most confusion which is the "sights".

The first thing to remember that there are TWO "sights".  The yellow horizontal sight shows where the rounds will land.  The grey cross-hair "sight" in the center of your screen is not really a gunsight, but actually more of a "viewing" cross-hair (although they can be used together to help measure longer lead distances when firing in Sea Mode -- but that is another topic).  More on that later...

To avoid the guns rotating the wrong way when first entering Land Mode (Shift+Q), the best thing to do is have your map open with the target zoomed in on the map.  Press Shift+Q and then immediately click on your target on the map so the guns don't take as much time possibly rotating in the wrong direction.  Pay attention to which way your guns move, because you then want to move your VIEWING crosshair (the grey ones in the center of the screen) onto the yellow gunsight.  To do this, CLOSE THE CLIP-BOARD, then move your mouse in the direction the guns moved until you can see the yellow gunsight.

Start by lining up the two (move the grey cross-hairs on top of the yellow sight) as closely as you can.  Remember, the grey sight is only where you are LOOKING, not where you are firing.  The yellow sight is where your rounds will land.  (Note: You will usually start by looking in a different direction than the guns are pointing.  I think this is the most common cause for confusion.)

Once you are looking (grey cross-hair) the same way as the guns (yellow sight) you can then zoom in (hit Z key and the brackets keys to zoom all the way in and out). I suggest zooming all the way in (right bracket key) for most precise aiming.  Once you get good with manual aiming while zoomed in, you will be able to target specific buildings in a town, individual ack guns on a field or even aim for GVs along the shore or on a field (if the CV is close enough).  If you have the same problem I do, which is occasionally bumping the mouse and moving the grey cross-hairs, just open the clip-board while zoomed (push the clip-board off to the left or right, so it's not covering your zoomed view) and then the mouse cursor won't move the viewing cross-hairs.

Another tip: when you are zoomed all the way in and multiple gunners are engaging the same target, sometimes it is hard to determine whose rounds are whose, which makes it hard to adjust your fire.  In this case, before you fire, hit the Z key to zoom out.  Fire and watch your outgoing rounds (zoomed out) until they get close to target (well inside the grey viewing crosshair) then hit the Z key to zoom in before they land and you will know the landing rounds are yours.

Just a few tips off the top of my head.

Hopefully this is helpful.

<S>
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:36:35 AM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »
thanks kingping.....that clears things up a bit

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »
Thanks  :cheers:

Offline Black Jack

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »
The grey sight says mil on the side. If these are mils like "mildots" in a scope it's all perfect but we need another piece of info. Mildot or milliradian are used to range something of known size so you can accurately make a shot. If this is not just for show but real size and useable, we need the length of the ship so we can range them with this sight. Anybody knows where that info might be or what are the size of the different ships. Tks

Black70