Author Topic: Der Kessel - Friday Squad Ops Stalingrad Airlift  (Read 3546 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Re: Der Kessel - Friday Squad Ops Stalingrad Airlift
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »
 :O

That last picture posted by Arlo shows an I-16 with the pilot in the cockpit and a maintenance guru standing in front of an engine with the cover opened...  Is that a start pull chord I see?   

:eek:

:rock
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
:O

That last picture posted by Arlo shows an I-16 with the pilot in the cockpit and a maintenance guru standing in front of an engine with the cover opened...  Is that a start pull chord I see?   

:eek:

:rock
:rofl   :lol   :rofl   :lol  they are working on the guns...  :rofl
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
Axis Ace Mission for frame 1.

Kurt Ebener - was a tough, true fighting man.  One of my all time favorite JG11 pilots.  Great choice Nef!

Kurt Ebener
Oberleutnant

Kurt Ebener was born on 4 May 1920 at Könitz in the Saalfeld region of Thüringen. Ebener joined the Luftwaffe on 17 November 1939. On 1 December 1941, Ebener was posted to JG 3 based on the Eastern front. Unteroffizier Ebener was assigned to 4./JG 3. In spring 1942, he flew missions over Malta and North Africa before relocating back to the Eastern front. He recorded his first initial victories on 23 May, when he shot down two Russian I-61 fighters. Ebener recorded his 10th victory on 30 July and his 20th on 17 December. From mid-December until mid-January 1943, Ebener operated from within the Stalingrad pocket. In the most difficult of combat conditions, Ebener was to excel. In four weeks of fighting he claimed 35 victories, including five enemy aircraft shot down on 19 December, to record his 23rd through 27th victories, and four on 30 December (34-37). Ebener emerged as the leading German fighter pilot of the Stalingrad battle. On 1 March 1943, Ebener was transferred to Erganzungs-Jagdgruppe Ost to undertake a spell of instructing. He had 52 victories to his credit at this time. On 7 April, Ebener was awarded the Ritterkreuz and promoted to the rank of Leutnant. Ebener was transferred to 5./JG 11 on 31 March 1944. On 15 July, he was appointed Staffelkapitän of 5./JG 11 based on the Invasion front. In August, Ebener claimed five USAAF fighters shot down. On 23 August 1944, Ebener was shot down in aerial combat with USAAF fighters southeast of Paris in Bf 109 G-14 (W.Nr. 780 667) “Black 2”. Ebener baled out badly wounded to become a prisoner of war. In January 1945, due to the severity of his wounds, he was repatriated. Both of Ebener’s brothers, serving as officers in the German army, were killed on the Eastern front. Ebener died on 7 May 1975 at Fischbach in Taunus as a consequence of the wounds he received during the war.

Kurt Ebener was credited with 57 victories in 150 missions. He recorded five victories (W/JG11) over the Western front.

Ebener kicked arse.

<S>

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
Good luck! Can't wait to read about his exploits!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 12:34:38 AM »

Warm blankets, salted pork, and malt bier for our boys in the 6th tonight.

<S>

Launching from within, 'Der Kessel' III./JG11 would score 27 victories for the loss of one man. 'Kurt Ebener' scored three victories and made it home safely.

<S>

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 12:42:40 AM »
lol hey I bailed in Glory wasn't sure which was more fun the Dogfights or watching the 111's sweating it out to rearm the base either way it was a Great Frame and a New twist also to FSO.

Nef
your Set's Are always Great Fun

<S>
Molsman
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 01:10:42 AM »
Enjoyed the fight at 91.  Our fighter cover did not get to the V91 on time but it left the base open to a NOE attack by IL-2's.  All but one hanger destroyed on first sortie.  Last hanger taken out on 2nd Sortie.  Over all a good night.  Salute to the axis and their opposition to our attack.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »
Enjoyed the fight at 91.  Our fighter cover did not get to the V91 on time but it left the base open to a NOE attack by IL-2's.  All but one hanger destroyed on first sortie.  Last hanger taken out on 2nd Sortie.  Over all a good night.  Salute to the axis and their opposition to our attack.

It may have been a good thing the fighters were late by time they got there we were all on the deck in that IL-2 swarm then the I-16's came in and I heard some Yaks even made an appearance.  YOu guys hit 91 hard and we had to hustle back by time I got there it was already hurting.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2013, 09:13:52 AM »
<S> JG11! You guys came in like a tidal wave. What was left of the 56th didn't have much of a chance. Nothing short of a miracle that I was able to take one of ya with me. Guess the other 109 I ventilated made it home.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
<S> JG11! You guys came in like a tidal wave. What was left of the 56th didn't have much of a chance. Nothing short of a miracle that I was able to take one of ya with me. Guess the other 109 I ventilated made it home.

<S>

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »

Ya Mak he made it at my cost,nice shooting I was PW first burst and then you took my wing off. I was busy trying to clear a squaddie and didn't see you until I was hit!

Was fun though!

:salute

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
Yea LilMak.... 2 seconds was all you had to work with    :D     :salute

Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
All I can say is the open cockpit setup of the I-16 with my Rift and 6DoF headtracking vs 109's and 110's was an absolute hoot!

:aok

Offline AKRaider

• Zinc Member
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
...either way it was a Great Frame and a New twist also to FSO.

Nef
your Set's Are always Great Fun

<S>
Molsman

A rousing +1 based on the comments I heard in the AK mess during the post-frame 'band-aids and brews'.  We're looking forward to Frame 2.

Thanks Viper61 for your extra effort this weekend.   :rock

:salute     
XO Arabian Knights

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »

Yep it turned into a meat grinder very quickly once JG11 showed up. Great stuff, things are setting up for a great rivalry in the coming years.  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV