Author Topic: Better haptics  (Read 3491 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Better haptics
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »
Trim force is already modeled.  That's why there is a setting for it in the game. Some sims model the trimmed stick position but don't model the trim force. AH models it so you can feel the stick resistance ease as you trim the forces off the stick, just like a real aircraft. If you can't feel that then it's likely that you are using a Logitech G940 with their last firmware update. The update not only porked the trim forces in AH they seem to have made it harder to feel the subtle beginning of the stall buffet. This is because Logitech tightened the feel of the stick near the center position as a pseudo fix for the reversal bug. The reversal bug is a design flaw and it can only be eliminated by putting the X and Y axis on a separate circuit board. If you have a G940 with the original firmware and the X and Y axis connected to a separate circuit board then you have an awesome stick that will showcase the AH FFB, minus the pre-stall vibration. There is nothing HTC can do to make up for the design flaws in the G940. Everything you're asking for is already modeled, except the bit you convinced them to remove.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:22:26 PM by FLS »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »
We used to have haptic feedback for the stall. I don't have a link but I saw a Steve Hinton video where he describes the P-51 stall being preceded by a vibration you could feel in the stick. We used to have that in Aces High. A player named hlbly convinced Pyro we shouldn't have it and it was removed from the FFB.

Good luck with your wish.
You are correct.  There is a vibration felt in the stick of the Mustang prior to the stall.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
You are correct.  There is a vibration felt in the stick of the Mustang prior to the stall.

What bugs me about that is that Hitech has flown mock dogfights in a P-51 and they still removed it. It may not be accurate for all our aircraft but like the stall horn itself, it helps make up for sitting on the ground as we fly.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
It may not be accurate for all our aircraft

It isn't, hence hillbilly's campaigning for richer haptics, so people can configure it how it suits them (including you). Yet you take this as another opportunity to attack the man because you disagree and preferred it as it was before hillbilly's information. Well that and the fact he made you look like a horses' arse about a year ago.

Congratulations, another arrogantly motivated, meaningless and unnecessary argument and derailment of a Wishlist thread which does nothing to further the cause for everyone.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
FLS what I will never understand about you is this. You have never experienced it the way it should work. I can guarantee you this. If it was done right you would be able to fly the edge better than you ever have. I can almost promise that you would be more immersed than you ever have been as well. I can imagine your next post going on about how I can't possibly prove those statements . I can prove it to you. Just as I said I can prove there is a bug. Problem is you never even tried my test. Just insisted I did not know what I was talking about. Your entire position boils down to . I liked it better broken because it was good for me. You are the lone ranger in that position . Ever notice that ? No one ever agrees with you. Not one time since HTC decided to fix it has one person supported your viewpoint. All of the support for your position vanished as soon HTC changed their position on the subject. While I still have few people that support my position on it. You are now the lone voice in favor of it being wrong. My friend from a long time ago and someone that knows how it is supposed to work as well as I do sent me a PM once. It stated " I gave up on FFB in here a long time ago" trying to tell me I was in for a lot of frustration. He was right. I am almost as stubborn as you are though. Only difference is I need to be right to stick to my guns like you do.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
Don't be a silly hlbly.  If anyone reading this thinks you ignore everything I write and just make stuff up refer them to me.  :aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »
What bugs me about that is that Hitech has flown mock dogfights in a P-51 and they still removed it. It may not be accurate for all our aircraft but like the stall horn itself, it helps make up for sitting on the ground as we fly.
If anything, the in game Mustang seems a bit more sensitive and eager to do the "funky chicken" than the real thing.
In an accelerated stall there is also a unique low "buzz" sound accompanying the vibration that comes from the air flow around the wing root area.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:28:19 AM by Puma44 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
If anything, the in game Mustang seems a bit more sensitive and eager to do the "funky chicken" than the real thing.
In an accelerated stall there is also a unique low "buzz" sound accompanying the vibration that comes from the air flow around the wing root area.

I think our P-51 is more forgiving of pitch trim and snap rolls from what I've read. I'm not clear on what you mean by "funky chicken".

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »
The "funky chicken" is a common term used in military flying.  It is used to describe the uncontrolled maneuver that one can get into after an unintentional stall or other ham fisted maneuver typically occurring in a dog fight.  The result is a combination of wild, sometimes unrecognizable gyrations.  It can look somewhat like the "Lomcevak" maneuver seen in aerobatic demonstrations.   In game, some refer to it as a "flopping fish".  

The "funky chicken" is also used to describe the guns junk maneuver used when pulling off a bombing run or when an adversary is closing for guns in a dog fight.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:29:57 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
I think our P-51 is more forgiving of pitch trim and snap rolls from what I've read. I'm not clear on what you mean by "funky chicken".
What do you mean by "more forgiving of pitch trim and snap rolls"?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
What do you mean by "more forgiving of pitch trim and snap rolls"?

The real P-51 is sensitive to pitch and needs constant attention to pitch trim. The P-51 manual forbids snap rolls but in AH they are easy. You need to push into a negative G snap roll to get in any trouble.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:42:23 PM by FLS »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
The P-51 is sensitive to pitch and needs constant attention to pitch trim. The P-51 manual forbids snap rolls but in AH they are easy. You need to push into a negative G snap roll to get in any trouble.
Real world, the Mustang requires constant trim adjustment with every power, flight control, and configuration change.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:22:18 PM by Puma44 »

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »
If real world airplanes require as much constant trimming as AH planes, then I'm glad I'm not rich and therefore cannot afford to fly real planes, because I would find that exceedingly annoying.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
Real world, the Mustang requires constant trim adjustment with every power, flight control, and configuration change.

Exactly my point.  :aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »
If real world airplanes require as much constant trimming as AH planes, then I'm glad I'm not rich and therefore cannot afford to fly real planes, because I would find that exceedingly annoying.
There's a vast difference between the fighters of WWII that required manual trimming and today's modern fighters that auto trim to match the pilot's input.  Trimming the Mustang real world is a minor issue compared to the fun and excitement of flying a piece of history.