Author Topic: Wirb Ground Vis Range  (Read 1222 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Wirb Ground Vis Range
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
So for the cannon tankbusters stuka or il2 why is the range for seeing wirbs 600? I don't mind this on tanks but by the time you know a wirb is there it has already started firing at you, I take it this was a concession for the GV crowd?  :rofl

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: Wirb Ground Vis Range
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:30:34 PM »
Perv,
Yes it's a concession, but the only danger to a bomb tard is a whirb. The idea of the shorter Icon range is to make the bomb tards fly lower and slower to find targets. To make sure that lower and slower isn't just to waste time, the whirbs make the bomb tards proceed with caution.  Whirb gun range is only 1500yrds. due to the short gun range, 6K Icon for bomb tards is too far. As such, a case could be made for 1500 yrd Icon for whirb. But I think a parked camo whirb would have been much harder to see at a mile than the bright red neon sign is.

If you are suggesting that the Icon range should be a function of the ords, such that an IL2 with cannon-only gets a longer icon range than an IL-2 with bombs....then....maybe that's more fair, but that seems like splitting hairs.

So I like it the way it is. And I spend all of my time in a plane.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
 I say be thankful the maps dont have more clutter to hide and camouflage the gv's, AND be thankful that we get any icon at all.  It is easy to spot enemy gv's as it is, icon or not.  Patience is the key.  Oh, and use the Force.  Let go. Trust your feelings. 

Seriously... the odds are in favor of aircraft regardless if the gv is moving or not.  Oh, if the issue persists may I suggest getting your little buddy Mr. Storch in the air and get your eyes in the sky.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
Considering how effective they are, the small numbers of them in the war, and their short icon range, why are they not perked?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Only reason wirbies are effective is due to the fact in AH they have constant computer aided range-finders not even modern tanks have, take away plane range on the icons (or give range every 5 seconds)  and you will see 90% of the crowd  shooting blanks for the most part (as they should).

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
Hmm  :headscratch: also have the tanks been 'up armoured' in the MA? Cos offline I can pop tanks all day long in a stuka g2 so long as I am nose down? What gives?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »
Only reason wirbies are effective is due to the fact in AH they have constant computer aided range-finders not even modern tanks have, take away plane range on the icons (or give range every 5 seconds)  and you will see 90% of the crowd  shooting blanks for the most part (as they should).

Only thing I use the range for is to know when to  start shooting (1.5K), or is that what your are referring to? :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »
Only thing I use the range for is to know when to  start shooting (1.5K), or is that what your are referring to? :D

Yup that's what he is referring to, in a word. Icons.

I wouldn't mind extending (anti-plane only) vehicles to 1000 yards. (Note: this would be Wirbles, M16s and Ostiwinds only). Tanks would stay at the current icon range.

If you can aim at all in the wirble you can kill them 1700 out. Done it enough times to be able to say, it's possible.

:airplane:

:salute
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »
I think Waystin has a film killing Grizz's 262 at like 1.5k + on a crossing angle shot

I think the gameplay is as close to even it's going to get without the same gripes from the other side. That being said....I hate when planes fly around their buddies in whirbs while talking directly to the pilot. Pretty sure that didn't happen in WW2...
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 01:19:30 AM »
I think Waystin has a film killing Grizz's 262 at like 1.5k + on a crossing angle shot

I think the gameplay is as close to even it's going to get without the same gripes from the other side. That being said....I hate when planes fly around their buddies in whirbs while talking directly to the pilot. Pretty sure that didn't happen in WW2...

I have quite a few films of similar events.  

I do too.

:salute
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 02:11:54 AM »
Generally the M-16 is only good to 1000 yards, the Wirb to 1500 and the Osti to 2500.  To give the lowest common denominator a chance at all the range has to be within it's effective range so I could see stretching it to 800 or maybe even 1000 yards but no further.  That also leaves most GV machine guns at ranges to be effective (typically 1000 yards or less).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »
So for the cannon tankbusters stuka or il2 why is the range for seeing wirbs 600? I don't mind this on tanks but by the time you know a wirb is there it has already started firing at you, I take it this was a concession for the GV crowd?  :rofl

I am on the fence with this one.  I like the Hurricane IID for vehicle busting, and have used it alot less since icons were reduced.  Getting older and it's hard to see them vehicles and line up a good attack that does not involve an impact with a tree.  As the Wirbelgawd I have always held fire until the planes get close so there is little or no chance of escape.  I favor the increase in distance on Wirbels, but if it was done uniformly on all GV's then softer skin targets like M-3's, M-8's, LVT's etc would see a noticeable drop in survivability.   Maybe something that is inside the Wirbels effective range, but not outside of it either.  Say 1-kish?Torn.... :headscratch:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »
oh I wonder what we used to do when GV icons were 3k for all aircraft.

musn't have been any GV action at all because of the gv's getting picked on by planes.

oh yeah.. there was plenty.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »
At 600yd you can fly over a wirb and get killed before you know he was there.   

Either give the wirb and ostwind a 2 perk cost.

Or  1000 yd icon range for IL-2 Hurricane ll D  Ju-87g2.  600 is just to close
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
At 600yd you can fly over a wirb and get killed before you know he was there.   

Either give the wirb and ostwind a 2 perk cost.

Or  1000 yd icon range for IL-2 Hurricane ll D  Ju-87g2.  600 is just to close

Perhaps you should take less traveled gv routes if you're getting hammered by Wirby's from below.  Altitude and NOT flying the same route a gv would be taking from the spawn point to the town would be a safer bet.  I can't remember the last time I got taken out by a wirby that I didn't know was there.

Again... a countryman in a Storch would be ideal.  It goes a long way in helping you stay in the air.  :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.