Author Topic: Question for experts on ethernet cards / networking  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: Question for experts on ethernet cards / networking
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
OK, I think that it is solved, and the winner is . . . the cable.

I thought that I had tested the cable aspect, but clearly not well enough.

(Just before this, I did put in an Intel gigabit NIC, and it was even worse than my built in Ethernet with respect to taking a long time to connect.)

The weird thing is that the previous cable does connect up (after 10 seconds), and transmission speeds and latency are fine.  Using the previous cable on a device that doesn't have a gigabit Ethernet gives no problem at all with linking -- it's nearly instantaneous like I'm used to.  It is a cat 5 cable, so should work, but maybe some of the wires not used for 100base-T but are used for 1000base-T are faulty.  I think that I have a cable tester around somewhere.  I'll see if I can find it to investigate.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and recommendations.

My apologies for using up folks' time when I should have not blown it on my cable testing.

Is it a CAT6 cable or at the very least CAT5e?  If not...yep...that can cause a problem (through not always).
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
Cat5 doesn't work well with gigabit Ethernet. Found it out the hard way: Couldn't get the Internet connection with a Gigabit NIC connected to a Cable Modem which apparently had a Gb jack too. The same cable had worked perfectly with the 100 Mbps built-in NIC of the old computer, and continued working at a replug. Took quite a while to figure out why the new computer wouldn't connect...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 03:59:54 PM »
Is it a CAT6 cable or at the very least CAT5e?  If not...yep...that can cause a problem (through not always).

The one with the issue was cat 5 (could be missing Gbit connections, though, not that the cat 5 nature of the copper wire is insufficient).  The one that works for Gbit speeds, I'm not sure what it is.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
When first replying, I read your posts and saw that you tested the cabling.  I figured you tried a different cable right off the bat!   :lol

Glad you found your issue. :)
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 04:27:08 PM »
When first replying, I read your posts and saw that you tested the cabling.  I figured you tried a different cable right off the bat!   :lol

Glad you found your issue. :)

Yep, I thought in my various testing that I had checked the cable well enough, but obviously not.  :uhoh

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
Cat5 doesn't work well with gigabit Ethernet. Found it out the hard way: Couldn't get the Internet connection with a Gigabit NIC connected to a Cable Modem which apparently had a Gb jack too. The same cable had worked perfectly with the 100 Mbps built-in NIC of the old computer, and continued working at a replug. Took quite a while to figure out why the new computer wouldn't connect...

Generally speaking you can use the previous generation of cable for the next generation of speed if you shorten the maximum length by an order of 10 (assuming properly wired).  So a Cat 5 good for 100 meters of 100Mb should run 1Gb if you keep it to 10 meters or less.  10 meters is still a pretty long cable.  Obviously this is only for home adhoc use, not in-wall or in business.

Personally I bought a spool of 1000 feet of Cat 5 for around $40 in 1996 and I make my own cables for home use as I need them, and if I get the ends on right, never have problems carrying gigabit speeds.  In fact, once made and tested, they are more reliable than random patch cables found with power strips, cable modems, etc.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Generally speaking you can use the previous generation of cable for the next generation of speed if you shorten the maximum length by an order of 10 (assuming properly wired). 

Absolutely correct.  The "assuming properly wired" is always a sticking point...especially if I crimped the RJ45.  :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 02:14:23 AM »
Yep, consumer products often choke on heavy transfers. That's why I try to choose 'non blocking' network components which at least in theory should be able to handle full loads on all ports.

Just waiting for a 10Gbe switch to turn up at home :D (yes I'm dead serious)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 04:39:38 AM »
Just waiting for a 10Gbe switch to turn up at home :D (yes I'm dead serious)

Why not? It's not like they're licensed solely for professional use lol.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »
Brooke

What type of motherboard do you have... it may be just a quick fix of updating the drivers for the onboard lan card. I had a similar problem and all it took was to update the driver's.  Better than buying a new card.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
Brooke

What type of motherboard do you have... it may be just a quick fix of updating the drivers for the onboard lan card. I had a similar problem and all it took was to update the driver's.  Better than buying a new card.

LawnDart

Howdy, LawnDart.  Thanks for the input, but it turned out to be the Ethernet cable (was suitable for 100base-T, but not 1000base-T, and the 10-20 seconds was the nic negotiating down to 100 Mbps from gigabit).