Author Topic: Question for experts on ethernet cards / networking  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Question for experts on ethernet cards / networking
« on: November 28, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
It takes 10-20 seconds for my network card to achieve connection, which is annoyingly long.  By this, I mean that, if I unplug my Ethernet cable then plug it right back in, it takes 10-20 seconds before the link light comes back on, and of course 10-20 seconds before I have a network connection again.  I have a machine at work with the same hardware and OS that doesn't do this -- it's reconnection is nearly instantaneous.  So, maybe it is a setting somewhere, but I haven't found it if so.

I have already gone into BIOS and disabled all of the "wake on [blah]" functionality for the network.  That seemed to help a little (went from taking perhaps 20-30 seconds for reconnection to 10-20), but it is still longer than what I like.

The chip for the network functionality is a Broadcom BCM57788 (Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet).  I have already installed the latest drivers for that chip, and it doesn't change the problem.

I have also gone into the card's advanced settings and tried turning off "wake on magic packet" and "wake on pattern match", neither of which changed the connection time issue at all.  I have "allow this device to wake computer" in power management turned off already.  Allowing the card to sleep or not makes no difference (as my test is done with the computer on).

Again, the odd thing is that I have another machine that is the same hardware, OS, etc., that doesn't exhibit this behavior.  On that one, if you unplug and replug, you right away get the link light back on and network connectivity.  Both machines use DHCP, as opposed to fixed IP address, but I don't think that matters, as the IP address lease obtained and lease expires well bracket my test, and the time it takes for the link light to come seems to be independent of whether or not the OS (Windows 7) is even running, as I have  boot manager and can do the test when the machine is on, but the OS isn't running yet and still get the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: Question for experts on ethernet cards / networking
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
Try assigning a static IP address ....see if it takes as long to boot with a connection.   If so, great...it's likely the card or a bad driver....if not, need to start considering other potential sources to the problem (bad switch port, bad patch cable, etc).

Simplistic, and not the more methodical approach I'd take to troubleshoot the problem, but close enough.

FYI - never been a huge fan of Broadcom...

Good luck.
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
Try assigning a static IP address ....see if it takes as long to boot with a connection.   If so, great...it's likely the card or a bad driver....if not, need to start considering other potential sources to the problem (bad switch port, bad patch cable, etc).

Simplistic, and not the more methodical approach I'd take to troubleshoot the problem, but close enough.

FYI - never been a huge fan of Broadcom...

Good luck.

Howdy, Fulcrum.

I boot it into the boot manager, which isn't even an OS (so no tcp/ip stack yet to change settings in), and can disconnect and reconnect cable to show the behavior.

I've tested and not found that it is the cable or ports.

It might be a driver problem, but if so, it was the same problem in the previous driver and the updated driver, and there is no other driver to get.  The office machine with same hardware, OS, and driver doesn't exhibit the same behavior.

My suspicion is that it is a setting somewhere (suggestions there are welcome) or that my chip has a glitch.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »
Then I'd check / compare the settings between the two PCs.  I'd also look to see if you have different versions of the driver on each machine.  It could well be the chip is bad but I'd try to rule out the above first.  Looking at sniffer traces of the packet exchange between the system and the DHCP server might help but only if you have some experience diagnosing packet and frame problems using Tools like Sniffer or Wireshark.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
I can only sniff packets once the link is established (link light on), I think.  Once the link light is on, everything is great.

I looked at settings between the two machines and didn't see any differences, but I'll have to check again in case I missed anything.  They should be identical machines, though -- bought together with same configuration, same machine, same hardware, etc.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
Sounds like the chip to be honest.

If you were using a sniffer you'd want to do it from another machine using either a mirror port on your switch (which most home switches are not capable of), a non-switch device like a hub, or through a man-in-the-middle approach like arp poisoning ah la Ettercap.  That way you could see the entire "conversation" between the PC and the DHCP server. 

To be honest it's likely not worth the hassle if you have a spare NIC card and a open slot to install it in.  Disable the on-board network card, install the spare and forget about it.  :D

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »
Just from the symptoms, and what you've done to troubleshoot, it sounds like the hardware is failing.  Is it onboard?  If so, can you get a new MB under warranty?
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:47:48 PM »
I don't think it's failing, as it has been like this always, and works flawlessly once the connection is established.  I wouldn't even have noticed anything if the other machine weren't so fast at establishing connection compared to this one.

I'd be interested to find out from you guys (if you are willing to try a very short test), if you unplug and then replug your Ethernet cable from your computer, how long does it take until link light is back on and how long until you can load a web page.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 02:58:06 AM »
Unplugged the cable from the modem, "cable unplugged" message. Plugged it back, instant reconnect.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 04:38:04 AM »
Howdy, Fulcrum.

I boot it into the boot manager, which isn't even an OS (so no tcp/ip stack yet to change settings in), and can disconnect and reconnect cable to show the behavior.

I've tested and not found that it is the cable or ports.

It might be a driver problem, but if so, it was the same problem in the previous driver and the updated driver, and there is no other driver to get.  The office machine with same hardware, OS, and driver doesn't exhibit the same behavior.

My suspicion is that it is a setting somewhere (suggestions there are welcome) or that my chip has a glitch.

Your office probably has an expensive router/switch behind the other end of the cable. That may be a factor.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
Your office probably has an expensive router/switch behind the other end of the cable. That may be a factor.

I've got it plugged into a cheap DLink 4-port at work and a cheap 8 port TP-link at home.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
I've got it plugged into a cheap DLink 4-port at work and a cheap 8 port TP-link at home.

Are the two computers really identical, down to versions and bios settings? If yes then you probably got a so called monday sample.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »
TP-Link is bottom of the barrel, not even close to dlink which is really saying something.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
Yes.  TP-Link is absolute crap I'm sorry to say...well beyond Dlink.  That may well be the culprit...if you have another switch I'd swap it out to test.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
I tried a switch other than TP-link -- no difference.

The machines should be exactly the same, but I'll dig more into it to check more than I have already to see.

As an aside, the TP-link worked very well so far -- no problems yet (but it is new).