Author Topic: job offer rescinded!  (Read 1048 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: job offer rescinded!
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Where do is it end?

I'm an employer, who had family members pass away from obesity complications. (EXAMPLE ONLY) 

Can I discriminate based on visually perception of health? Can I "drug" test my employees to ensure their cholesterol levels are in check? I mean it would push up my health insurance premiums so i'm justified in hiring based on my perceptions of lifestyle validity, right?

It's a legal commodity that has been proven to produce unhealthy side effects, but it's STILL LEGAL! So stop creeping towards Illegal and make it so or get off my back!

Cheese Burgers and Fries have ALSO been LINKED to health problems, but I can't socially ostracize a fat person and have it be publicly acceptable.... yet.

I can't even choose not to hire that same person (who chooses an unhealthy lifestyle of high cholesterol and fatty foods) because it would be discrimination. Furthermore, most would see this as a non-issue all-together.  Why does what I choose to eat, have anything to do with work and hiring....

because as much as you think that what we do doesnt affect our work is not true.  for example I was a 2 pack a day smoker for many years.  I hardly missed worked but I caught bronchitis several times a year.  all due to smoking.  I showed up at work but I wasnt able to work as good as if I was healthy.  I have quit smoking and I hardly get bronchitis now.

now the problem is my weight and high cholesterol.  I walk a lot and do a lot of heavy lifting.  my cholesterol medication was making my legs ache and cramp up.  if you think being overweight and having high cholesterol wont affect your work then you are dreaming.

companies are pushing a healthier lifestyle.  not because they care about their employees but because a healthier employee on average works better than one with "little" problems like mine.  if companies could get away with hiring employees that were fit and healthy according to whatever fad stats are in now, they would.  they only reason they dont is because of the threat of lawsuits.

now I do my work but this thread makes me think if I could lose a few lbs I could do it faster.  I still do it within company standards, but when i walk in looking like I am about have a heart attack (sarcasm font didnt work), it makes me wonder how in the heck do I still have a job, If it was my company I would have fired myself.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Its none of my business if somebody else smokes, as long as they arent blowing it in my face.

I prefer "Freedom" to lower health insurance rates.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »
Its none of my business if somebody else smokes, as long as they arent blowing it in my face.
And as long as they don't have extra pauses during work, or suffering from withdrawal symptoms instead of extra pauses, both causing them to work less efficiently. Freedom is for leisure time. The only way to get freedom during working hours is to employ yourself and face the consequences.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »
And as long as they don't have extra pauses during work, or suffering from withdrawal symptoms instead of extra pauses, both causing them to work less efficiently. Freedom is for leisure time. The only way to get freedom during working hours is to employ yourself and face the consequences.

i used to run a shop with smokers and non-smokers. the smokers didn't get extra brakes in johns world.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Nor should they. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
Nor should they. 

STRANGER!!!!!!! how the hell you been man??!! how'd you make out with the cars?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
I'm good brother.  Busy busy.. :) I'll get in touch in the next few days
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »
I'm good brother.  Busy busy.. :) I'll get in touch in the next few days

rgr that. i'll be out for a bit tomorrow.....i'm taking mom for a shooting lesson.....and that's some cool stuff i'll tell ya about when we talk.

in other news, seeing as i've not seen much from you here, i AM glad to see you're still here.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"