Author Topic: job offer rescinded!  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
job offer rescinded!
« on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
Strange thing happened to me today.  I was offered a job and then asked if I used tobacco.  I said yes and assumed they were asking to determine my health insurance rate.
They told me that they didn't hire tobacco users and I need to reapply next week and either quit smoking or lie about quitting smoking.

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: job offer rescinded!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
The smokers at my part time job spend like half their shift on smoke breaks (obviously exaggerating, but less than I'd like)
Seems to be a common theme, I have a friend who picked up smoking just to get smoke breaks all the time
Honestly I don't think I'd hire smokers either
But I'm petty and not a manager

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:41 PM »
We have assumed control, we have assumed control.

Seriously though, many companies are going tobacco free for any number of reasons. Quitting is not only good for you, but will set you free in so many other ways. If you don't want to quit then flip them the bird and live your life how you want to while you still can. Being an ex smoker (seven years in February) I understand the enjoyment of tobacco use as well as the misery.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:48:22 PM »
Some hospitals are telling clinical nursing/med students to go elsewhere if they use nicotine. Med programs for clinicals are now including nicotine in the drug screen...

Legalized discrimination.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »
I smoked for 20 years.  Admitting this avoids hiprcracy.

Having that said, it was becoming obvious to me that employers were being both covert and overt in discriminating against smokers.

Illegal?  Both yes and no.  You may not be told that is the reason but when I quit myself smoking--being in the company of smoker was obvious beyond belief.

Did I lose out on gigs?  Maybe.  In radio, ratings rule, and air talent's small sins were overlooked if they could generate big ratings.  For other kinds of business they look at smokers as being an anchor--sinking the company in costs by being a business loss by jacking up their insurance costs in Health and Life.

Don't get me wrong--I LIKED smoking.  It was a bad habit but I didn't mind.

After my grandchild was born it was a different story.

Bordering on COPD, I wanted my grandchild to have a fun grandaddy and not seeing him dead in a casket as a child.  I used the patch and quit.  Easy?  Not after the first week.  The patch was AWESOME. 

Id rather have met you at your birthday party than your funeral.   PLEASE QUIT
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
Yes smokers like complaining and taking more breaks than non smokers :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:00:03 AM »
I smoked for almost 20 years at least a pack a day.  a few years back i was given welbutrin for depression.  it didnt help with depression but I havent smoked since then.  when I told a couple of other guys at work they all went to their doctor got some of it and 2 or 3 weeks later they had all quit.  none of them are back smoking.  I"ll have an occasional cigarette but when i do I always wonder what the f was the attraction to it.

our company is now smoke free, guys who smoked at work never bothered me even after I had quit.  it's the damn chewing tobacco nasty mf that really gross me out.  specially when they leave their cups all over the office at the mill.  now that is disgusting.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:23 AM »
Being a life-long non-smoker I've sometimes been in a situation where the person servicing me has just had a cig. "HHHHWhat cHHHHan HHHHI do HHHfor HHHHyou, HHHsir?" -Please, could you stop breathing and change your clothes after you've had a proper shower...

Don't get me wrong, though. There are smokers and there are smokers. Even at school I often spent the breaks with the smokers behind the corner and have been continuing the habit at parties where people go out for a smoke. No way for me going into a dedicated smoker's room, though.

But when dealing with customers or patients, you can never tell whether the next one is heavily asthmatic. No smoke, no perfume, no pet hair/dust in your working clothes may save your job from a million dollar sue.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 07:21:34 AM »
Yes smokers like complaining and taking more breaks than non smokers :rofl

Somebody give that kid a promotion, he is obviously wise far beyond his years.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
Legalized discrimination.
it's proof that you can't fix stupid and it's going to get worse. the police state is slowly materializing.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »
I smoked and dipped snuff for about 18yrs...I quit both this year...Do I want to smoke and dip?...Yes....That being said, I am a construction worker and an employer...Am I going to not hire a hand just because they smoke or dip?...Hell no....It's none of my business what an employee does, especially at home...of course I am probably in the minority of bosses when it comes to things like that...now if it effects their duties...you run them off...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
Being a life-long non-smoker I've sometimes been in a situation where the person servicing me has just had a cig. "HHHHWhat cHHHHan HHHHI do HHHfor HHHHyou, HHHsir?" -Please, could you stop breathing and change your clothes after you've had a proper shower...

You need to quit getting serviced in the alley outside the biker bar, problem solved.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
If i get angry at the person serving me because I feel they smell offensively (for any reason) am i allowed to demand they not serve me?  Not in most cases. Just because I don't like a particular scent doesn't mean i'm somehow entitled to impose my views on them... 

Give that server a cigarette and somehow I'm morally correct and superior in belittling that person. I don't get it. 

Also LOVE hearing, "smokers never work"...

RUBBISH! To me, that's akin to saying that Jerry is always going to the bathroom for insulin injections, how come I can't take time off like him!? Whaaa! Poor me!

Welcome to 2013: The louder you complain and if you can do it on a soap box of moral superiority then you're right and nobody can say anything against it without being cast as morally/intellectually inferior ... YOU MUST BE LIKE ME!!!!!!   Crusades anyone?

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
Smokers get the same breaks as non smokers. Fifteen in the morning half hour at lunch. Need more then get a different job. Abide by the same rules and it matters naught to me if you smoke or not.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
Yeah, I quit smoking at work 4 years ago, not because I had too just that I was usually up against a deadline of some type and didn't want to break stride. Now I can go all day without but as soon as I get home I light up a smoke. If you see no smokers spots outside a company you know that smoking will be frowned upon. Sucks that you're being discriminated against but smoke free workplaces seem to be the way the world is heading.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep