Author Topic: got a problem  (Read 1011 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
got a problem
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
I've used the TE before ok, but not in a while. When I try to paint terrain nothing happens, plus the tabs at the side where I select terrain have no labels. Anyone else had that problem?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: got a problem
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »
The terrain type names are stored in the .ttd file in your terrain folder. You can open your .ttd file in Notepad to see what happened.

The fix is to replace your .ttd file. Create a new terrain, any name, and copy the new .ttd file into your terrain folder. You want to replace your original .ttd file with the new one.

Might not be the clearest instructions but I thing you'll get the idea when you start.

Edit: The new version of the .ttd file will need to be renamed to match your original terrain name...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:50:04 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
Also, make sure you have the current version of the TE.  Re-downloading/overwriting it might fix it.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »
Thanks guys, understand both points. Will report back tomorrow when I've tried it.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
Good point Ranger. He should be using v2.29 p1.

If you go that route, Bat, be sure to backup your terrain to a different place on your hard drive. I'm worried you might try to uninstall the old TE and that will wipe out all your work!
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice there Easy. It's a fresh install from the link in the ah content editors page. I have no terrain yet to lose :)
Got to sleep soon or I would go back and work it out now. Thanks again for the swift help lads.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
I wonder if you remembered to initialize your terrain by saving it first?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
hmmm, no I did not. Ok now I have to test this

ah that didn't do it, still no labels and can't paint terrain. Objects work fine onto the blank water

must sleep!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:17:18 PM by mechanic »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:54 AM »
hehe, sorry, can't help myself.

The first thing you must do after reopening the TE is to erase the water before you try to paint a ground type! You can't put a farm texture on top of the water, it will be under the water instead.

If these things don't fix it, we may need to meet on Skype.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »
In regards to the no label problem on the terrain tab. You won't have any until you save a terrain, then shut down the TE, and then relaunch the program. After you do that you should have labels again. I just downloaded the editor again and put it into a different directory to confirm that process instead of relying on memory.

To rule out that you any configuration issues from maybe a bad install, reinstall the program in a new directory (for my test I installed it in a directory I called 2291a). You might even want to do a complete uninstall and then a fresh install to rule out any corruption of files. AHEDIT2291.EXE should be 379,972 KB; if it is not you had an issue with the download and should download the .exe again.

However, this is how the process should work if you have a good install.

1) Open TE and it should look like this.

2) Click on file, click on save as and save a terrain for the first time.

3) After you save the terrain your view should change to a grid view over water but you still won't have labels. You need to close the TE now.

4) After you close the TE, launch the program again.  You should now have labels.

5) Switch over to the "water" tab. Click on erase water. Move the brush slider to about the half way point. You should see a large red circle where you mouse pointer is. Click and drag and you should erase water and create land (when you erase water to create land the texture applied is grass.

6) Switch back to the terrain tab. Select a terrain (click on beach). Move the brush size slider halfway and again you will see a large red circle where you cursor should be and the size of it (which is set by the Brush size slider). Over the green land you created in step five click and drag your cursor to paint the land with beach.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:12:33 AM by ghostdancer »
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »
Obviously the above is a first time install or a re-install. So when you say you have used the TE before leads me to ask a couple of questions.

- When was the last time you used it before this issue occurred?

- What version of the TE did it occur on?

- Do you have multiple terrains already saved or only one terrain?

- What is your OS?

As USranger pointed out the safest solution for troubleshooting / resolving this issue is to reinstall the TE in a new directory or from scratch. This way there is no possibility of you introducing new elements into the TE or corrupting files. If you do an uninstall and then reinstall remember to move the terrains you saved to somewhere else on your computer so you don't lose them.

If any of the TE files got corrupted the reinstall should fix that and rule out any corrupted files in the program. That said I run Windows 7 and have no problem there but say if you are Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and this is the first time running on that OS, well I can't tel you how things work on that OS. If everything runs fine or if their is any wonkiness (which is why I asked the OS question).

If the reinstall works (follow the procedure above) and you save a test terrain, have labels, can erase water and paint land then you are ready for the next step. Which is to then load up the previous terrain you were working on in the previous installation of the TE where you had this issue and see if it happens again when that terrain is loaded. If it does then basically you have some sort of file corruption / issue in that terrain. Load your test terrain (the one you created and had the labels, etc.) and see if the labels comes back (do this to make sure the corruption is only in the terrain you were working on and didn't introduce a corruption into the TE somehow).

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:05:18 AM by ghostdancer »
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »
Far more detailed explanation, and that must have taken some time.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
Yes, I am very grateful for you guys taking the time to explain this, I know I could have found out myself if I put some time into it.

I guess a few changes have been made since 2010, I don't remember having to do this before.

Ghost, that was very kind and helpful, thank you.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
I remember this same problem some people had (including me) when the new terrain system first came out.  I'm trying hard to remember what the culprit was, but I remember I had to go out and get more RAM.  How much RAM does your system currently have?  I could swear HTC said they fixed that & it shouldn't be a factor, but it may be if you don't have nearly enough.  The current terrain system is more resource intensive than the old checkerboard looking system we used to have.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
RAM should be ok, 32gb  :D

I think I have it working now, after all you guys baby stepping me through, thank you. It's going to take me a bit of practice to learn the new system I think