Author Topic: Ugh. What is going on.  (Read 547 times)

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Ugh. What is going on.
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
Four times today the software froze up in the middle of a dogfight.  Twice yesterday.  Never happened before yesterday.  Any hints?  The game has run very well for me for months.

Very frustrated. 
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ugh. What is going on.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
post a copy of a dxdiag report (in the form of a text file attached to a reply) after a fresh boot.

just as a possibility...it's worked for me before...if you're not running an ssd, try defragmenting.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
A little more detail would be helpful.  Did you have to reboot the computer because you could not exit the game?  Did it stutter or freeze?

A DXDIAG output would also be helpful.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »
My bad.  No detail, correct.  The screen freezes, the sound keeps playing, but no recovery.  Even CTRL-ALT-DEL won't work.  I have to hold the power button down to shut the PC off.

I experimented and shut off Norton 360's anti-virus auto-protect and 360 smart firewall, I played 4 hours and it worked fine, no freeze-ups.  Maybe a Norton update is doing it?  Any other suggestions?       

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »
do yourself a huge favor...get rid of that norton poser anti-virus. it's worse than most malware...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:22:01 AM »
do yourself a huge favor...get rid of that norton poser anti-virus. it's worse than most malware...

Have to agree with gyrene on this one..my PC came preloaded with Norton and it took quite some time to root 90% of it out (some of it is still there however I'm fairly certain I have killed it  :lol ) Big surprise that the "Tool" Norton provides to remove their useless product is absolutely useless.  :rolleyes:
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »
Norton will cause you no end of problems.  It really is worse than a virus or malware.

It and McAfee are the two worst things you could install on your computer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:19:08 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
Yup, the 360 is the worst of the entire Norton family, doing "maintenance" things when you wouldn't expect, nagging about tasks you haven't configured or accomplished. Why on earth every antivirus has to launch those All-In-One monsters way beyond their original purpose? Isn't it enough that Windows reminds about virus checks and updates and backups until told otherwise? Aargh!  :furious

OTOH, if I launched a nice GUI running the built-in tasks of Windows, it would probably sell at least mediocre if marketed aggressively enough...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
What's a good recommendation for an antivirus package?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
It's been discussed quite recently: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,354717.msg4698116.html#msg4698116

As a rule of thumb, a "package" is something you don't want. A simple, plain vanilla antivirus combined with a(n external) firewall (most router modems have one, so does Windows) and safe surfing habits is something that most people can understand. It's possible to be safe even without one, but that means you should have deeper knowledge about computing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:58:15 PM »

I use ESET Smart Security.  Very good anti-virus program that is very 'game' friendly in that it doesn't have a large resource foot print nor interfere with games and is very AH friendly.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song