Author Topic: Skylighting  (Read 1195 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Skylighting
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
Or maybe the person is just tired of flying around looking at out dated graphics. 

ack-ack

I have carefully looked around and I have yet to see an expiration date on any of the graphics.  actually I cant find any dates at all.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
I have carefully looked around and I have yet to see an expiration date on any of the graphics.  actually I cant find any dates at all.

semp

I know you're not that dense but just in case...

out·dat·ed
adj.
Old-fashioned, dated, obsolete, out of date, passé, antique, archaic, unfashionable, antiquated, outmoded, behind the times, out of style, obsolescent, unhip (slang)

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
I know you're not that dense but just in case...

out·dat·ed
adj.
Old-fashioned, dated, obsolete, out of date, passé, antique, archaic, unfashionable, antiquated, outmoded, behind the times, out of style, obsolescent, unhip (slang)

ack-ack

that is in your opinion.  when I am in the middle of a furball I dont have time to look around at the eviroment  or marvel at the beautiful skin the other plane has.  I just want to shoot it while looking around for another con that may kill me. 

so please enlighten me.

semp

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
that is in your opinion.  when I am in the middle of a furball I dont have time to look around at the eviroment  or marvel at the beautiful skin the other plane has.  I just want to shoot it while looking around for another con that may kill me. 

so please enlighten me.

semp

It is not my opinion the graphics are out dated, anyone that can look at the game can tell that.  The problem is that you feel that by saying the graphics are out dated that I am saying AH sucks, which I'm not.  I'm just saying that the graphics could use improvement and by allowing us some additional advanced graphic features like ambient occlusion, SSAO, or any other DX11 graphical feature.

While you might be satisfied with the status quo, obviously some of us our not and would like to see the game visually improve and with improved graphics, will result in new customers.  Sticking with the status quo will not.

ack-ack

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
It is not my opinion the graphics are out dated, anyone that can look at the game can tell that.  The problem is that you feel that by saying the graphics are out dated that I am saying AH sucks, which I'm not.  I'm just saying that the graphics could use improvement and by allowing us some additional advanced graphic features like ambient occlusion, SSAO, or any other DX11 graphical feature.

While you might be satisfied with the status quo, obviously some of us our not and would like to see the game visually improve and with improved graphics, will result in new customers.  Sticking with the status quo will not.

ack-ack

I am not saying that that I dont want more,  i am just asking what is going to be the difference for me.  what am I gonna see different.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »
I wish Hitech would enter into a discussion with us about the lighting of the game, so that we might see if game textures might be modified in some way to improve player perceptions that the graphics are somehow antiquated. to improve depth perception, as well as the appearance of all 3D shapes in the game.

Already told you two things.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
no challenge,  you dont want a discussion you want to win an argument and you will never be happy whichever way ah decides to go.  so I really would like to know what is it that you really want and be very specific as how it will affect me.

please keep this in mind.  I am happy playing with 3 23in 1080p monitors using evga 465 sli cards.  I get no less than 50 fps per second with shadows at 4096 without em.  I still dont see the point of em, which dont really matter as my system cant handle it anyway.

so having said that, i am replacing all 3 monitors with a new 27 in 2560x1440 monitor and a new video card.  still not sure if I want the newest amd or a 780. havent decided yet.  that's at least 800 bucks.  now I know why I want that monitor and that card.  my eyesight is not as good as it used to be so 1920x1080p is beginning to be bad for me.   I cant see the cons as clear as it used to be.  and I want that card because eventually I will have 3 of them monitors to play aces high.

now that's a good reason for me to update, well at least to me.  gonna take a lot of ot at work, but I am blessed and lucky I can do that.

what I dont know is what you guys mean when you say graphics are dated or what exactly the new graphics are gonna do for me.

if you want to get into an argument then good luck.  but if you want somebody to support then perhaps you should start trying to explain to some of us what is it that is gonna change for the good of us and hopefully the game.

semp

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:10 PM »
no challenge,  you dont want a discussion you want to win an argument and you will never be happy whichever way ah decides to go.  so I really would like to know what is it that you really want and be very specific as how it will affect me.

please keep this in mind.  I am happy playing with 3 23in 1080p monitors using evga 465 sli cards.  I get no less than 50 fps per second with shadows at 4096 without em.  I still dont see the point of em, which dont really matter as my system cant handle it anyway.

so having said that, i am replacing all 3 monitors with a new 27 in 2560x1440 monitor and a new video card.  still not sure if I want the newest amd or a 780. havent decided yet.  that's at least 800 bucks.  now I know why I want that monitor and that card.  my eyesight is not as good as it used to be so 1920x1080p is beginning to be bad for me.   I cant see the cons as clear as it used to be.  and I want that card because eventually I will have 3 of them monitors to play aces high.

now that's a good reason for me to update, well at least to me.  gonna take a lot of ot at work, but I am blessed and lucky I can do that.

what I dont know is what you guys mean when you say graphics are dated or what exactly the new graphics are gonna do for me.

if you want to get into an argument then good luck.  but if you want somebody to support then perhaps you should start trying to explain to some of us what is it that is gonna change for the good of us and hopefully the game.

semp

How will it affect you and others?  Improved and more realistic graphics.  Like I said, you may be happy with the current status quo but not all of us are and would like to see the game improve visually.  Not only for our own enjoyment but to help bring new players into the game. 

If you honestly believe if someone that has never heard of AH or WT would watch the AH trailer that was recently made and then watch a WT trailer would pick AH over WT, you're kidding yourself.

ack-ack

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
Point about argument ignored.

None of these requests are particularly stressful on the video system because they can be turned off, so that's not a valid argument against AO. AO is merely another way of improving the visual elements of the game. All elements would improve for systems that can handle the change, and those that can't would have slightly different textures, but the same performance.

Improvements include a better perception of depth and an improvement in the appearance of all 3D shapes.

The primary reason the changes would be seen as an improvement are that the textures would go from phong shading, to an ambient occlusion method, which is much closer to what you see when you view objects in reality. Phong shading can be deceptive because when you consider things like level of detail (LOD) simplification the shading method might be reduced to where top/bottom or front/back are too similar, which makes it difficult to distinguish the proper situation. Your "3 monitor" setup will be more effective, because the higher resolution will bring those features out, but once 4k monitors are available at an affordable price (I give it a year) this will be a critical feature. More importantly to me, the perception of depth upon ground features should be more greatly enhanced, making it even more attractive to feature low level fights in videos.

I would also like to suggest we go to a more unsaturated appearance, because I see PC generated colors to extend outside of what actually occurs in nature. Unsaturating color is something your brain does in combat anyway, so no harm/no foul making use of it. There are other techniques HTC could use, but this would be a great place for the discussion to begin.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »
Have you noticed that if you turn self shadow on it turns off the illumination effects from muzzle flash and cockpit lights?

Yeah the lighting in AH is weird, at night time settings the only thing that is dark is the sky, everything else is illuminated, visual range isn't impacted at all.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
It's pretty clear from your posts that you could be playing WB 1.0 and not really have an issue with the state of the graphics (which begs the question, why have you invested so much in your rig if graphics don't mean anything to you?)

To a lot of, most even, people, having realistic graphics improves the sense of immersion, which is important especially in a simulator.
Is it the most important? No. Is it important none the less? Yes.

You're not going to eat a crappy cake, but you're going to pick a good cake with good icing over a good cake with bad icing. If we consider graphics to be the icing on the cake, it's becoming clear that Aces High's icing is becoming rancid and while other cakes are being updated with nicer and more tasteful icing all the time.

As far as outdated goes, Aces High can still at best only be compared favorably, graphics wise, with games from the mid-2000s. Modern games, even modern games from small game studios with a focus on the gameplay, tend to look far better than Aces High. That means that the graphics are outdated. Whether or not you care that they're outdated doesn't change that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:38:51 PM by Motherland »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:49 AM »
It's pretty clear from your posts that you could be playing WB 1.0 and not really have an issue with the state of the graphics (which begs the question, why have you invested so much in your rig if graphics don't mean anything to you?)

To a lot of, most even, people, having realistic graphics improves the sense of immersion, which is important especially in a simulator.
Is it the most important? No. Is it important none the less? Yes.

You're not going to eat a crappy cake, but you're going to pick a good cake with good icing over a good cake with bad icing. If we consider graphics to be the icing on the cake, it's becoming clear that Aces High's icing is becoming rancid and while other cakes are being updated with nicer and more tasteful icing all the time.

As far as outdated goes, Aces High can still at best only be compared favorably, graphics wise, with games from the mid-2000s. Modern games, even modern games from small game studios with a focus on the gameplay, tend to look far better than Aces High. That means that the graphics are outdated. Whether or not you care that they're outdated doesn't change that.

I actually played wb 1.0 and didnt care much for it.  you want immersion, then play with 3 monitors, trakir, pedals, throttle, joystick, surround sound headset, and a couple of other toys.

please do tell me about any other game that can draw at the distance that aces high does while having a couple of hundred players on at the same time.

I play the game with everything on except for em.  what I find funny is that most of the guys whining about "graphics look outdated" dont have system that can handle the currect graphics and for sure when aces high updates wont be able to take advantage of that either.

it's always the old "it's not my system, it's the game that is not properly coaded".  you really want to improve immersion, get 3 monitors and trakir, you wont believe the immersion factor.

look at this video, graphics are poor as I didnt have time to really improve the quality of it.

get into a battle like this with a couple of toys and you wont be able to look around and see all the "pretty trees" that your other game has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcL0hZ9TrQY

semp

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 04:18:20 AM »
I like the FOV distortion your film shows, really realistic..
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
Content > Graphics

That said:
Can we get a DESERT MAP PLEASE... just change the green color to yellow! Or white, so we have snow!
And if the existing graphics could be made to have a Cliffs of Dover type cliffs please!
And could parts of the maps have a Death Star trenches?  :banana:
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
I like the FOV distortion your film shows, really realistic..

but, but we talking about immersion  :rofl  :rofl

semp