Author Topic: Rudder pedals vs. throttle?  (Read 677 times)

Offline killacj

• Zinc Member
Rudder pedals vs. throttle?
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
I just wanted to get some opinions. I have enough $ either buy a new stick and add to my setup a throttle or I can buy rudder pedals. My current stick works fine, I would just be buying the combo set of stick and throttle. I am wondering what all of you think would be the better option? I was leaning towards the throttle because of the added assignable buttons it seems like it'd be more help for the money. You know more "bang for the buck". On the other hand I know that the pedals would also be a big help and didn't want to be the naive one to discount it before I thought of all of the pros and cons of each. So I'm looking for the input from the wiser and more experienced. What do you say Sirs? :headscratch:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Rudder pedals vs. throttle?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
Not to say I were any wiser, but I think you are on the right track concerning the bigger amount of buttons. Especially if you are already familiar with the twisty stick. On the other hand pedals are also nice to have, but to be honest I seem to use the rudder less than the left hand functions. Even turning seems to benefit more from using the throttle than the rudder!

You do know that AH can take a multitude of controllers at the same time, so if you have a steering wheel with pedals lying around, you can map the pedals to control the rudder, leaving the rest of the wheel thingy aside.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
A throttle is convenience and perhaps makes you more efficient in quick operation. Pedals will change how you fly.
Now decide what is more important to YOU. Do you have a problem using the keyboard for many functions thus requiring you to remove the left hand from the on-stick throttle? Do you feel that the twisty stick is accurate enough for you as a rudder?

Personally, I have neither and I am not sure which I would get first, if I would.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »
I got my pedals and my HOTAS at the same time, so I'm not quite sure which I'd take if I had to choose only one.

I agree with Bizman.  If you are really good with the twisty, then I'd suggest you get the throttle for the buttons.  If you find the twisty somewhat awkward, I'd go for the pedals as for me they really allowed me to do stuff I couldn't do with the twisty.  They take a while to retrain your brain for though, so don't get discouraged if they seem odd at first.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:48:54 AM »
If you don't have a stand alone throttle this is a must before pedals.

Pedals add immersion into game and don't make you quicker using your rudder compared to say a twist stick. The throttle will give you a lot quicker adjustments then buttons.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »
If $300 is within your budget, make the jump to a CH HOTAS - Fighterstick, peds and throttle. The gear will last years...mine set-up is 8+ yrs old.

Peds will take a few weeks to get the hang of but you'll gain more accuracy vs a twisty. At least that was my experience.

You might find better pricing by hunting around but generally Provantage.com has the best pricing, overall.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:22:53 AM by Max »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
If you don't have a stand alone throttle this is a must before pedals.

Pedals add immersion into game and don't make you quicker using your rudder compared to say a twist stick. The throttle will give you a lot quicker adjustments then buttons.

Presuming by 'stand alone' you mean 'not using the keyboard' (for twisty's that have a throttle onboard).

I'd go pedals first, it there's a throttle on the stick at all and de-map the twist.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:48:47 AM »
Pedals would and did come first to me but I missed a lot of shots when I twisted the stick as I pulled in on a 6.  I don't think either answer is wrong.

If you can find a friend to split a 2 pack Cougar MFD, you could add a lot more buttons.  I use that Cougar panel a lot.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »
Because most throttles come with more buttons then that is what I would go for first. There are loads of things in AH that benefit from easy and quick access in the middle of a fight where you gain the most from buttons. If you are able to cover all the things you really need in a fight with the stick buttons, then pedals should come first.

I have to say that I don't use my rudder much in flight but when I do they are very handy!

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
for 5 or so years I've used the twisty stick and love that thing my close in firing with rudder control is great but I lose something in the maneuvering, now that I have moved to a full CH set up fighterstick, throttle, and pedals I find that for now my close in shooting is suffering by my ability to maneuver and control my aircraft at all speeds has increased 10 fold.

My 2 cents.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE