Author Topic: got myself a mechanical keyboard  (Read 3061 times)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
got myself a mechanical keyboard
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
steelseries 6GV2...pure awesomeness.  :aok

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: got myself a mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
They are amazing aren't they.  I got one back in 2010 when Razer first started making them, as I really missed my old IBM clicky mechanical, as the one I had been using finally quit working.  I posted about it here, and everyone except Skuzzy pretty much thought they were stupid and not worth the money, as I had predicted that in 5 years or so everyone would be using them.

Now that they are 50$ for the lower end ones, many more users will likely get them.  I can't imagine typing all day on anything else, not to mention that for gaming they are way more precise.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
What is the Pros/Cons of it compared to a normal one?
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »
Precision in gaming and even typing.

I am enjoying the Razer Ultimate Blackwidow 2013 and also have a Razer Nostramo.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:54:15 AM »
the pros is that you get a REAL keyboard with a great typing feeling and hopefully a great longevity. Also there is no limit on the number of keys you can press at once, at least on mine. the cons are the price and weight.

When I was a kid computers shipped with this kind of keyboard, now probably to cut costs they include 5$ membrane ones. Also some companies like logitech market these 5$ keyboard with a few additional keys, a tiny LCD screen and sell them 120$....

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 10:41:33 AM »
Precision in gaming and even typing.

I am enjoying the Razer Ultimate Blackwidow 2013 and also have a Razer Nostramo.

I'm not snarking, but what does 'precision in gaming' mean in terms of a keyboard?  Button is up or button is down.  Is it just meaning that they're more uniform in when they click down or up, as opposed to perhaps having a mushy key or two?

The ability to press more keys at once and have them register is huge, that makes a lot of sense to me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
I recently upgraded everything to include a Corsair K95 mechanical keyboard.  Pure awesomesauce.  Macro's are very useful as well.   :aok
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
They are amazing aren't they.  I got one back in 2010 when Razer first started making them, as I really missed my old IBM clicky mechanical, as the one I had been using finally quit working.  I posted about it here, and everyone except Skuzzy pretty much thought they were stupid and not worth the money, as I had predicted that in 5 years or so everyone would be using them.

Now that they are 50$ for the lower end ones, many more users will likely get them.  I can't imagine typing all day on anything else, not to mention that for gaming they are way more precise.

I loved my old IBM keyboard and currently have a mechanical Das keyboard, which is not as good as the IBM keyboard but much at least it has mechanical switches, which I have always preferred.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:02:01 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »
Uh, I do not believe I ever said anything was "stupid".  I loved my old IBM keyboard and currently have a mechanical Das keyboard, which is not as good as the IBM keyboard but much at least it has mechanical switches, which I have always preferred.

I think he is saying you were the only one who didn't say they were stupid.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
I think he is saying you were the only one who didn't say they were stupid.

You are right.  I totally misread that.  Been up too long today, already.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
I've tried many of the new ones, Razer's, Logitech's, Steel's, and several others.  While they are superior in terms of features, none of them IMO have ever bested the original IBM mechanical clickies.  As I posted a couple years ago, I was fortunate enough to find a small family owned computer shop in my hometown that had taken in a whole bunch of stuff from the local Tech collage over the years, and had a massive stock of the original IBM's, which I promptly raided and took the 6 best ones I could find.  I still have 3 left after giving away a few to people who appreciate them, and I'll keep them forever.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »
No one has ever made a better keyboard than that old IBM keyboard.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
I loved my old IBM keyboard and currently have a mechanical Das keyboard, which is not as good as the IBM keyboard but much at least it has mechanical switches, which I have always preferred.

The Das is a nice board but dont be a bonehead like me and buy the one without the key lettering on it, at least unless you want it like that, and I have no idea why anyone would. Nor did I even know such a board was made. I was disappointed cause it seemed like a great board but i sure as hell wasnt about to do business with New Egg again after they sent me the one I didnt want.

So I bought a Black Widow. I didnt think I'd like the load click when you type but now I wouldnt want anything else. Razor is coming on strong with a bunch of hardware. They have replaced Logic Tech for me.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »
I have a k60 corsair keyboard :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »
No one has ever made a better keyboard than that old IBM keyboard.

When I was beginning my work career I had the pleasure of using those keyboards. If I knew back then how unique they were I would have salvaged keyboards from every workstation we trashed.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone