Author Topic: Early Man  (Read 5890 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Early Man
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
I'm definitely NOT an "early man".  I'm more of a "just in time" man.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »
I'm definitely NOT an "early man".  I'm more of a "just in time" man.
Thats not what she said  ;) :neener:
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
Then there was a cow... No wait, that would be retarded.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
Well, yes, but the originals were Norse.  The number of days and naming them after gods came from the Greeks (Sun, Moon, Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, and Cronos), which the Romans then adopted, but switched to their gods' names (Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jove, Venus, Saturn), which was adopted by the English, but switched to their Old English names of gods (except for Saturn, which we keep as Saturday), which were from the Germanic tribes, but they got them from the Norse tribes.

We need a facepalm smiley.

The Norse ARE a Germanic tribe. Odin's name itself originated from Proto-Germanic Wodanaz. Also keep in mind that the Nordic Bronze Age which preceded the Iron Age spread of the Germanic cultures is strictly nominal. The Nordic Bronze Age also encompassed the Jutland Penninsula (where the Angles, Saxons and Jutes originated) and other parts of Northern Germany.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
We need a facepalm smiley.

The Norse ARE a Germanic tribe

I'm just responding to
Because it's not Norse mythology

I know that Germanic tribes had the same or at least similar gods, but my understanding (which could be incorrect) is that those gods (Thor, etc.) came from specifically the Norse first and then were adapted by other Germanic tribes, perhaps as a result of Norse tribes colonizing portions in Germany.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »
My question is how primitive was early man?

It's not a question that makes very much sense.
Incrementally less primitive than an increment of time before. Incrementally more primitive than an increment of time after.

How naive were you in early adolescence?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
I know that Germanic tribes had the same or at least similar gods, but my understanding (which could be incorrect) is that those gods (Thor, etc.) came from specifically the Norse first and then were adapted by other Germanic tribes, perhaps as a result of Norse tribes colonizing portions in Germany.

The Norse didn't even exist as a distinct tribal group when the first appearance of these gods is recorded, so no, they weren't "adapted" by other Germanic tribes from the Norse. They already existed before the tribes began migrating and evolving into distinct societies. If anything, the West Germanic group appears to have been the earliest to appear as distinct from the earlier Proto-Germanic collective group, with the dialectical foundations in place as early as the 1st Century BCE. The North Germanic group (to which the Norse belong) didn't begin to identifiably split off until around the 3rd Century CE.

Part of the problem is that more is known about the Norse version of the mythology because it survived as an active tradition long enough to actually get written down (Poetic and Prose Edda), while most of the other Germanic tribes were converted to Christianity before the middle of the Migration Period, leaving mostly grave goods and other archaeological finds, but no written sources. That's the real reason why the Norse are so heavily emphasized over the other Germanic tribes.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »
The Norse didn't even exist as a distinct tribal group when the first appearance of these gods is recorded, so no, they weren't "adapted" by other Germanic tribes from the Norse. They already existed before the tribes began migrating and evolving into distinct societies. If anything, the West Germanic group appears to have been the earliest to appear as distinct from the earlier Proto-Germanic collective group, with the dialectical foundations in place as early as the 1st Century BCE. The North Germanic group (to which the Norse belong) didn't begin to identifiably split off until around the 3rd Century CE.

Part of the problem is that more is known about the Norse version of the mythology because it survived as an active tradition long enough to actually get written down (Poetic and Prose Edda), while most of the other Germanic tribes were converted to Christianity before the middle of the Migration Period, leaving mostly grave goods and other archaeological finds, but no written sources. That's the real reason why the Norse are so heavily emphasized over the other Germanic tribes.

Thanks for the information on origin of Germanic gods.

For the origin of Norse people, why do you say they didn't exist as a distinct tribal group back then?  There have been people in Scandinavia since the stone age, and people were always organized into tribes.  European tribes (Bergundians, Lombards, etc.) are thought to have Scandinavian origin starting from 1700 BC.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:13:57 PM by Brooke »

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
I'm an Odinist. I believe that first there was nothing. Then there was a world of fire and a world of ice. Then these two worlds collided and created everything. Then there was a cow... No wait, that would be retarded.
:rofl :rofl :rofl
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »

For the origin of Norse people, why do you say they didn't exist as a distinct tribal group back then?  There have been people in Scandinavia since the stone age, and people were always organized into tribes.  European tribes (Bergundians, Lombards, etc.) are thought to have Scandinavian origin starting from 1700 BC.

Because there wasn't a distinct group called "the Norse" when everyone was Proto-Germanic. The Old Norse language itself didn't evolve until around the 8th Century CE. From roughly the 3rd to 7th centuries you had Proto-Norse, which developed out of Proto-Germanic somewhere after that split into separate West, North and East Germanic language families.

So yes, you certainly had people living in Scandinavia, but what made them the Norse as opposed to the Lombards or Burgundians doesn't develop until after the language split.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:29 AM »
I am a creationist and I believe that the world is about six thousand years old...      

I have some thoughts and Ideas but would like to see a debate on what you think and why...  

I was there and Eve was flat chested. :O

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 04:19:21 AM »
(By the way, have you ever read the book "American Gods," by Gaiman?)

No I haven't. Is it a good read?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Xtirp8r

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »

Primitive enough to invent the wheel and religion.

Only one of them performs any useful function.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 04:47:41 AM »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 07:33:24 AM »
Nay...

...God created the P-51...for men to fly...

...men created the Fw190...for Gods to fly.

And the Bf-109 was created in the fires of hell for things that your parents used to tell you scary stories about to fly..  :devil
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'