Author Topic: I can not attain air speed  (Read 1159 times)

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: I can not attain air speed
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Lot of us older guys on AH.  Good for the brain.  Expect to get shot down a lot in the beginning.  Enjoy the Game.

True true.  61 myself.

- oldman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »
I like this game because, at 43, I get to be one of the young guys...   :bolt:

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »
Over the years with different squads and missions this same phenomenon has been observed and become the source of jokes or heated concern. My squad regularly ups together, same fighter, same load out. We invariable have some players who pull ahead magically and we cannot determine how. I've watched the last squad mate in line when we are all in heavy P51D, same load out, same fuel. Gradually climb past the head of the pack and no one is using WEP or manual speed climb from the command line.

Just a thought.  The next time you see that, you might want to have everyone use the .speed command to make sure everyone has the same climb speed set.  Even though you say no one is using the command line, they may have done so on a previous flight, and forgotten about it.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
  Just a thought.  The next time you see that, you might want to have everyone use the .speed command to make sure everyone has the same climb speed set.  Even though you say no one is using the command line, they may have done so on a previous flight, and forgotten about it.

Doesn't it get reset at the end of each flight? :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »

When I was in the old 56th we saw this all the time because we flew in groups with the same load outs and used WEP on takeoff for the first 7,000ft. We experienced the same phenomenon, usually with the same players pulling ahead in FSO because we flew in formation as part of the immersion factor.

Not all players connections are equal in this game. Anyone who has ever tried flying formations knows that.

This drives me nuts in events too. I always advise whoever is the lead to never ever be at full throttle. Just be fast enough so that you're not walking away from anybody. And when the other guys ask what his throttle settings are the reponse should be--whatever you need to be to keep formation with me! In RL if all the planes were of the same type and config then of course you could all set the same mani and rpms and have it fairly easy in keeping formation. But here on the interwebs ya just can't do it that way. Somebody's position is gonna get updated a little faster or slower depending on their connection relative everybody else's and that's just how it is.

On a related note I have found that on taking off in the game for my first hop I have the same problem. If I just go full throttle and fire up the engine I'll start roling but it's just not at actual full throttle accorking the gauges. If I cycle the throttle and rpm it comes right up to max and isn't a problem the rest of the night. Cal is right. No explanation. I just deal with it
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:41:04 AM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »

I don't think the speed resets.  We should check it to be sure.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
In RL if all the planes were of the same type and config then of course you could all set the same mani and rpms and have it fairly easy in keeping formation.

Not necessarily.  You would think it would work this way, but each plane is a little different.  Some planes may be a little heavier.  One engine might be running better then another.  So, in real life, you have to adjust for the fact the the planes are not perfect copies.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »

It does.   :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 08:52:21 PM »
Corsair?  All F4U's start with 2 notches of flaps deployed?

I always hear the dang flaps disengage while AFK when I up a -4 a sector away? 
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 06:55:18 AM »
It does if you use auto take off.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
Corsair?  All F4U's start with 2 notches of flaps deployed?

I always hear the dang flaps disengage while AFK when I up a -4 a sector away? 
Not all,just the f4u4 and one other i think.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
Very often the first flight after logging in, has the brakes stuck on. I give the pedals a tap and they release and the problem disappears until my next login. Wondering if OP is experiencing this? :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright