Author Topic: I can not attain air speed  (Read 1162 times)

Offline RoCPopy

• Zinc Member
I can not attain air speed
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:16:03 PM »
I spent some time looking but gave up...... :huh My problem is this when taking off even with no flaps I can not attain air speed for some time......I have had other players taking off behind me only to become airborne and pass and fly over me as if I were sitting...... :cry I apply full power gradually and roll out even with WEP....its like I'm standing still even in dog fights....zoooom they blow buy me waxing my ***.......61 yrs old wanting to have fun frustrated......... :old:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: I can not attain air speed
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
Check to see you get full power.

Use auto takeoff.

Reduce fuel and ordnance load.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
If you have full power, and it sounds like you do because you're using WEP, make sure RPM is at max.  Keypad+ to increase RPM unless you have it mapped to a controller then you'll have to increase it there.

BTW, at 61 you are still just a dang kid, wait until you reach my age.    :x

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:07:35 PM by Wayout »
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:48 PM »
If you have full power, and it sounds like you do because you're using WEP, make sure RPM is at max.  Keypad+ to increase RPM unless you have it mapped to a controller then you'll have to increase it there.

BTW, at 61 you are still just a dang kid, wait until you reach my age.    :x

Just an fyi, if you engage WEP it will automatically max the RPM.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:48:23 PM »
  What plane are you flying?
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:31 PM »
I spent some time looking but gave up...... :huh My problem is this when taking off even with no flaps I can not attain air speed for some time......I have had other players taking off behind me only to become airborne and pass and fly over me as if I were sitting...... :cry I apply full power gradually and roll out even with WEP....its like I'm standing still even in dog fights....zoooom they blow buy me waxing my ***.......61 yrs old wanting to have fun frustrated.........

Have you raised your landing gear?

-oldman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:09:40 PM »
First thing first.  You do realize you have both throttle and RPM correct?  RPM controls prop feathering.

You'll want to map your throttle to a convenient controler; one you can reach quickly in combat, then calibrate it while calibrating your joystick or other controlers.

When you hit the runway max your RPM's (+/- on your keypad are the default mappings) then max the throttle and off you go.

Most planes in AH do not need flaps for takeoff so if it's a fighter on a land based field leave the flaps up (Q and W to raise and lower IIRC... mine are mapped to my joystick so I forget).  If you're using auto take-off the gear will retract themselves as long as you don't touch your stick too soon, otherwise get the gear up as soon as you leave the pavement (G).

That should about do it.  Good luck.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
A few questions:

1. What aircraft are you flying?

2. How much fuel and ords are loaded?

3. What is your RPM gauge reading?

4. What is your manifold pressure gauge reading?

5. What game controller are you using?

6. Did you calibrate your controller in game?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
Are your brakes on? :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »
This a great example of where EASILY referenced tutorials might come in handy.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:55 AM »
This a great example of where EASILY referenced tutorials might come in handy.

Or an epic troll.   :headscratch:
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline RoCPopy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
thanks for all the answers..... :aok i think i got it now...... :rock  i didn't realize about the throttle and rpm being two functions.... :headscratch: going to give it a try....... going to be a long winter..... :rolleyes:

BTW, at 61 you are still just a dang kid, wait until you reach my age.
.......hope i do gramps....... :bolt:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »
Yay!   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »
thanks for all the answers..... :aok i think i got it now...... :rock  i didn't realize about the throttle and rpm being two functions.... :headscratch: going to give it a try....... going to be a long winter..... :rolleyes:
.......hope i do gramps....... :bolt:

Lot of us older guys on AH.  Good for the brain.  Expect to get shot down a lot in the beginning.  Enjoy the Game.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
If sitting on the runway you can push your throttle to full, then hit the WEP button and it engages, your throttle is not the problem. Or for the picayune amongst us. Look up the rating for full throttle for your plane in Hg or inches or pounds or ata or Boost. Then watch your manifold gauge to see if it reaches that number when you push full throttle.

Over the years with different squads and missions this same phenomenon has been observed and become the source of jokes or heated concern. My squad regularly ups together, same fighter, same load out. We invariable have some players who pull ahead magically and we cannot determine how. I've watched the last squad mate in line when we are all in heavy P51D, same load out, same fuel. Gradually climb past the head of the pack and no one is using WEP or manual speed climb from the command line.

When I was in the old 56th we saw this all the time because we flew in groups with the same load outs and used WEP on takeoff for the first 7,000ft. We experienced the same phenomenon, usually with the same players pulling ahead in FSO because we flew in formation as part of the immersion factor.

Not all players connections are equal in this game. Anyone who has ever tried flying formations knows that.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.