Author Topic: Why, just why?  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Why, just why?
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »
Last night there was a great fight at 61.  There was a fight high, there was a fight low and everywhere in between.  Bombers came in, and bombers left (well some of them anyway  :cool:), it was a grand old time. 

There was one person however who kept repeating the same flight profile that completely dumbfounded me.  He would fly in at mach speed, blow past miles of fights with one single purpose in mind, vulch the runway.  He might get a kill or two before dying, but that was it.  No ACM, no attempt at actually playing the game (you do remember it is a game right?), his purpose was just be be a PITA.  I have heard folks talk about the decline in the game, and I feel this is one of the things that is causing the decline (if there is indeed one). 

I just don't understand why someone would come to a game that challenges your skills in simulated air combat then play the game like that.  Why, just why do they?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: Why, just why?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »
New players don't seem to want to "learn" the game as in the past. There used to be 10-20 people in the TA regularly. Now it's all but empty. Today it's just jump into it and claim "it's my $15".

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »
Welcome to aces high.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
Welcome to aces high.
Not a reflection on you, but that's sad... 

Any thoughts on what we can do to change that? 

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
Not a reflection on you, but that's sad... 

Any thoughts on what we can do to change that? 

Dont be afraid to PM them with friendly questions.  I've tossed around friendly salutes, etc, via PM.  I've even coached people not on my country via PM, most new players have no clue as to the learning curve or the "how to" in terms of vox, radio bar, chat bar, map functions, etc, etc.  You'd be surprised as to how much you can teach someone and help them in a matter of 10 minutes of PM's.  Likewise, helping with the game dynamics will help them get confidence and eventually a long term player.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Lol...catch them enroute...they'll fight then, I guarantee it.  Do it until they stop and they'll find another way to have fun
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »
Shame I wasn't in my 88 when this happened.

:(
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
He was probably farming perk points.

A 262 costs a lot of vulches!
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
Dont be afraid to PM them with friendly questions.  I've tossed around friendly salutes, etc, via PM.  I've even coached people not on my country via PM, most new players have no clue as to the learning curve or the "how to" in terms of vox, radio bar, chat bar, map functions, etc, etc.  You'd be surprised as to how much you can teach someone and help them in a matter of 10 minutes of PM's.  Likewise, helping with the game dynamics will help them get confidence and eventually a long term player.

I could have tried that, but normally even the most innocent offers of assistance have not been received well.

Lol...catch them enroute...they'll fight then, I guarantee it.  Do it until they stop and they'll find another way to have fun
  Nice thought.  But which 51 is piloted by the future vulcher? 

He was probably farming perk points.

A 262 costs a lot of vulches!
If that's the case, a 51 wouldn't be my favored "farming" implement. 

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
I could have tried that, but normally even the most innocent offers of assistance have not been received well.

Nice thought.  But which 51 is piloted by the future vulcher? 

If that's the case, a 51 wouldn't be my favored "farming" implement. 

Good catch.  Kill them all.  One pass will get three to commit to you.  Live long enough in the same airspace and you'll attract 15.  Problem solved
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
I have heard folks talk about the decline in the game, and I feel this is one of the things that is causing the decline (if there is indeed one).

I remember whole squads that would do this in 190's my first few years. Nothing new.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »

There was one person however who kept repeating the same flight profile that completely dumbfounded me.  He would fly in at mach speed, blow past miles of fights with one single purpose in mind, vulch the runway.  He might get a kill or two before dying, but that was it. 

Paging DREDIOCK.   

:lol  :bolt:
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
Why do you let it get to you?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »
New players don't seem to want to "learn" the game as in the past. There used to be 10-20 people in the TA regularly. Now it's all but empty. Today it's just jump into it and claim "it's my $15".

The Training room is pretty much worthless to a new player who isn't part of the community yet.

Think about it...  Say you run into a new guy, and he actually asks a question.  You tell him that he may want to visit the Training Arena to learn some things...

So, he logs out of the Main Arena and goes to the Training Arena...  Where he is by himself.  Nobody there to help him.

The TA is worthless when it is unstaffed.

Do the volunteer trainers staff it all these days?  I've been there a few times over the past few days, testing some joystick settings.  I haven't seen a single other pilot in there in the last few days.

I can't blame a new player for not spending time in the TA.  In fact, I would argue that he is better off in the Main where at least he MIGHT get an honest answer to a question.

I have believed for years that HTC seriously dropped the ball by not actually staffing the TA 24/7...  But that's water under the bridge by now.  

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »
I'd be happy to help a new guy into the game, it such a shame i'm a terrible teacher
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho