Author Topic: Would this be a Ho?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline RipRap

• Copper Member
Would this be a Ho?
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:49:48 AM »
I know that the definition and circumstances about ho'ing have been raised ad nauseum over the years, but I need some clarification about this one.

During a sustained fight or furball I find myself coming over the top of an Immelman or pulling out of a Split-S or any other rolling turn, and a plane is right in front of me coming out of, or in the middle of a turn. I don't take the shot, simply because i don't feel like getting called out on 200 for ho'ing. 3/4 of the time the other guy does take the shot and down i go. So that being said, should i take the shot?

Otto  ~Flying Penguins~

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Re: Would this be a Ho?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
I'm too new here to lay claim to any technical definition of HO'ing.  However, I admit that a couple times I have done it, because it looked like the other guy was doing it to me.  I knew what the end result would be, so I just squeezed the trigger and said "I ain't a gonna be the one that turns first, bro."  Lately, when confronted with the last-second realization that I'm staring at a HO, pulling up or pulling right slightly seems to be working for me.  I don't get HO'd as much, nor am I inclined to pull the trigger.  I've also made a conscious effort to avoid co-alt head-on approaches.  I seem to survive and fight more by constantly using low G and low E-draining banks and climbs as I approach an opponent.  But I have no idea if this is the right way to do it.  Intuitively, a head on approach just seems like a poor choice for a first step in the engagement, and not as "the" kill opportunity.  Maybe ping the radiator, that's fine.  But a full bore Kamikazi, guns a-blazing HO run just feels cheesy.

Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
If you have a clean shot and he dose not it is not a ho. Ho is not hard to understand Both nose on heading at each other at time of shot.
At least thats what i think.
In the last part of this merge video i give a quick explanation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blQcADYuYfk
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
If both planes have or can have guns on each other, it's a HO.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:14 AM »
I know that the definition and circumstances about ho'ing have been raised ad nauseum over the years, but I need some clarification about this one.

During a sustained fight or furball I find myself coming over the top of an Immelman or pulling out of a Split-S or any other rolling turn, and a plane is right in front of me coming out of, or in the middle of a turn. I don't take the shot, simply because i don't feel like getting called out on 200 for ho'ing. 3/4 of the time the other guy does take the shot and down i go. So that being said, should i take the shot?
Forget about the definition and the idiots that will call you out on 200. If you can get a shot in and he can't - do it! what you don't want is to get into a situation where both of you can shoot each other. However, there are always exceptions. If you are being ganged or otherwise at a great disadvantage and someone is stupid enough to allow you to shoot him in the face - do it. If you have a 262 coming at you - shoot it in the face, that is the only shot you will get and he deserves it. If you are in a 4 cannon bird and a Ki43/Brewster comes at you HO, shoot him in the face - it is his job to move out of the way.

Being called a cheater, a HO dweeb or a vulcher on 200 is a great honor. I take great pleasure in this when it happens, and usually it says more about the guy doing the *****ing than it does about you.

Duel are different. When agreeing to duel it is expected that the first merge is cold, and a HO shot after that is not entirely against the unwritten rules, but it is not "honorable". This applies only to arranged duels, not to the main arenas.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
I'm a "no ho" guy as well.  I suppose I should abandon that position.

Offline RipRap

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:58:32 AM »
If you have a clean shot and he dose not it is not a ho. Ho is not hard to understand Both nose on heading at each other at time of shot.
At least thats what i think.
In the last part of this merge video i give a quick explanation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blQcADYuYfk

Starting at the 6:30 mark of the video is the exact scenario that i am referring to.

Forget about the definition and the idiots that will call you out on 200. If you can get a shot in and he can't - do it!

Good enough for me. Thanks
Otto  ~Flying Penguins~

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
Starting at the 6:30 mark of the video is the exact scenario that i am referring to.
Right on,as you can see in that engagement although we where both heading at each other ,i was inside his turn and he could not get a clean shot. :cheers:
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
Sunka's video is close to HO but the opponent couldn't pull so its not sometimes though that guy isn't pulling to avoid that situation and I consider that an HO
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »
I'm a "no ho" guy as well.  I suppose I should abandon that position.

Don't.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »
The HO that most people avoid is the straight merge HO.

Once you are fighting somebody that you're trying to shoot down, the notion that you shouldn't shoot because your guns are pointing at each other seems kind of ludicrous.

I understand the exceptions but those are generally by mutual consent.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
I opened this thread expecting a picture of my ex to pop up.  Whew.  Lol
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
I say please yourself. I myself am not very good but I don't usually pull the trigger unless I'm 30 plus degrees off the nose. The reason is I like trying to get better at maneuvering and enjoy that part of the game more than the blasting out of the sky part, also my aim is terrible so if I was in a head to head situation I'd probably die. I can be flying an a-20 or mossie and lose an HO to a zeke. The other thing is I am aware that the angles on the other guys computer are not the same as mine so I know some things that look like an HO to me are not at all. If somebody wants to shoot every shot they have more power to them but I really like those rare times that I get to fly repeated merges really close to the other guy without it ending abruptly. I know it's probably bad flying on my part but there it is.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »
Sunka's video is close to HO but the opponent couldn't pull so its not sometimes though that guy isn't pulling to avoid that situation and I consider that an HO
If you want the RAW video i still have it...no way was he after the merge turn (to late) was he going to get his guns on me. :neener:  
Just had to say .   :angel:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
take the shot, doesn't matter what the other clown thinks. and remember, what he sees is a little bit off from what you see.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett