Author Topic: MA Off-peak is dying  (Read 14101 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: MA Off-peak is dying
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
11:44AM EST US.  I logged on in hopes of finding an air to air fight.  Not one to be had.

Didn't used to be that way.  Unfortunate.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
I remember when the old main arena had 700+ players; it was glorious.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
I remember when the old main arena had 700+ players; it was glorious.
yeah this hasn't happens in a while. I'm shocked if I even see 500
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
Boy do these comments sound familiar. :noid

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
Assuming HTC does not want to retire the big maps it is probably easiest just to have a switch from small/large map rotation to just small map rotation at some point in the day. Just have the map for each rotation start in the same position it ended the previous day.

Shutting down some bases on a map during low numbers hours seems like a solution, but it has its complications. The current MA maps are not designed around the idea and it would be hard to select fields in such a way as to be fair to all sides whatever the front line position. Also, what do you do about CVs? Preventing off peak players from using them is not really on.

I vaguely recall HTC trying something like this years ago, they didn't limit which fields you could up at but which fields you could take to just a handful. It wasn't popular with players and was dropped pretty quickly IIRC.

Another possibility is rather than deny the use of bases, just make certain bases more attractive for players to attack. Lets say each base is given a points score on the map, for instance 2 for a port, 3 for a V or small airbase , 4 for a mid, 5 for a large field. To win the war you now have to get X points off the other two sides. Give a handful of bonus bases double or triple or more points score. This would encourage win-the-war types to attack those bases. Also destroying objects at those bases doubles or triples the players' individual scores as well. This then encourages the score-obsessed to attack those bases. The "I-just-want-to-fight-someone" guys are then more likely to find some action at those bases.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
Though it's just reflecting the overall drop in numbers. Peak numbers have suffered as well, it's just more noticeable at 'low tide'
Yea your right I don't see the difference in the fights during peak except the actual number when I log in and it is amazing I remember when the first Titanic Tuesdays came out we had almost 800 in one arena!!!! Was awesome if your rig could handle it.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
Ive said this a thousand times. The "economy" is not high on the list for reasons why people leave games. Maybe more so with pay per month games but still, despite the economy, gamers will pay to play their favorite games.

I expected a down turn in the arena after BF4 and COD G came out, plus a few other games. As for those two, and despite their graphical beauty, most of all BF4, I think the coders who wrote the games were riding the rock pipe. Talk about numerous problems!

I think improved graphics will bring players back to AH. Playing these other games reminds me of how well written Aces High actually is. With a new graphics look I'll probably be the first to come back. It would be great to get the old Euro crowd back as well. I can remember when USA morning and afternoon time had the most skilled players on.

had lots of friends quit the game because of the economy, with no jobs they couldn't afford the subscription and the internet.  some have found jobs that don't pay as much as they did before.  now the find themselves with older equipment they can't afford to replace.  it doesn't just cost15 bucks a month to play.

as for kills like lusche said, I'll be lucky if I get 200 kills in a month as I don't have a lot of time to play.  wonder how many of us were lucky enough to keep our jobs but have twice the workload of before, no way I'm the only one.

semp

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
I vaguely recall HTC trying something like this years ago, they didn't limit which fields you could up at but which fields you could take to just a handful. It wasn't popular with players and was dropped pretty quickly IIRC.

"Capture order" - had many problems, one of them being again that themaps had not been designed for it.

Another possibility is rather than deny the use of bases, just make certain bases more attractive for players to attack. Lets say each base is given a points score on the map, for instance 2 for a port, 3 for a V or small airbase , 4 for a mid, 5 for a large field. To win the war you now have to get X points off the other two sides. Give a handful of bonus bases double or triple or more points score. This would encourage win-the-war types to attack those bases.

I've been preaching this for years. Concentrate activity and create sustained battles by creating key objectives, without taking everything else outta play  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Another possibility is rather than deny the use of bases, just make certain bases more attractive for players to attack. Lets say each base is given a points score on the map, for instance 2 for a port, 3 for a V or small airbase , 4 for a mid, 5 for a large field. To win the war you now have to get X points off the other two sides. Give a handful of bonus bases double or triple or more points score. This would encourage win-the-war types to attack those bases. Also destroying objects at those bases doubles or triples the players' individual scores as well. This then encourages the score-obsessed to attack those bases. The "I-just-want-to-fight-someone" guys are then more likely to find some action at those bases.

I really like this idea.  Two ways to win the war, the traditional way and grind it out, or a blitz on a few key bases that absolutely must be defended. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
looking at LoL, dota2, starcraft2, minecraft, CS:GO...saying that pc gaming is dieing is just wrong.

I closed my AH account mostly because euro times was boring, I was thinking it was just a break but coming back just to wait in the tower isn't epealing just yet. This has been reported for years but HTC doesn't seem to care. Fine. I will check the new graphics offline but I doubt it will be enough for me to come back. We'll see.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:40:27 AM by SirNuke »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
looking at LoL, dota2, starcraft2, minecraft, CS:GO...saying that pc gaming is dieing is just wrong.

I closed my AH account mostly because euro times was boring, I was thinking it was just a break but coming back just to wait in the tower isn't epealing just yet. This has been reported for years but HTC doesn't seem to care. Fine. I will check the new graphics offline but I doubt it will be enough for me to come back. We'll see.
Well, hopefully the improved graphics bring more players into the game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
After new graphics ,know one will know or care if HTC dose not dump a ton of money and time into advertising here and across the pond.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »

I hope so, but most Euro players ended up playing aces high by pure luck, I don't think they will find the game more easily with new graphics.

My wish is that Aces High gets packaged for steam. The stream of new players would be massive.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
And Linux.  I am done after XP goes away because I hate Windows 7 and 8.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:09:26 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
Butcher, if there was a Fightertown (3 sides, small map, 3 fields) with fighter based aircraft only (no GV's, buffs, or destructible hangars...hence no war to win) would you return?

^^^this would make me leave after 10+ years :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>