Author Topic: Trouble Downloading OS on my new computer  (Read 568 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Trouble Downloading OS on my new computer
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
I have a 1 TB seagate Barruacuda harddrive.  OS system will not download. Says the partions are the wrong type. Any idea on how to fix.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Trouble Downloading OS on my new computer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 02:50:18 AM »
I have a 1 TB seagate Barruacuda harddrive.  OS system will not download. Says the partions are the wrong type. Any idea on how to fix.

Which operating system and which version? Older operating systems lack support for any new technologies such as SATA. Installing a new drive to one won't work without installing drivers during install.

You said partitionS, is the drive previously used?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:23:21 PM »
No it is new. It is windows seven. Could it be my Bios?
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
By downloading do you mean installing?

Is the HD partitioned?

You need to install the OS to a primary partition.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
You could delete the partitions and let windows 7 format the drive in which case it will create the Hidden 100Mb boot partition.
With the disc not partitioned when you load start to load Windows you select the new disc option and then format.

Otherwise as already advised the partition must be a primary partition. If it not then delete whatever it is and start again.

I can recommend downloading Seagates Discwizard and write it to a CD or USB drive and boot from that to manage your disc partitions

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/discwizard/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:50:54 PM by Blagard »

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
You could delete the partitions and let windows 7 format the drive in which case it will create the Hidden 100Mb boot partition.
With the disc not partitioned when you load start to load Windows you select the new disc option and then format.

Otherwise as already advised the partition must be a primary partition. If it not then delete whatever it is and start again.

I can recommend downloading Seagates Discwizard and write it to a CD or USB drive and boot from that to manage your disc partitions

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/discwizard/

so im looking at W7 and a new drive. I should just install the drive and let W7 do the rest?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
so im looking at W7 and a new drive. I should just install the drive and let W7 do the rest?

You can do, but you do have to make the selections once the Win 7 install has started!

e.g. It won't find a drive to install on initially but near the bottom of the install screen there should be an icon for a new drive, so you click that and follow any prompts.

If you have any other drives on the PC it is not so simple! - Or if you have either an old PC or Windows 7 without service pack 1. In those situations you may have to install the motherboards SATA drivers during the windows initial loading.

Edit: This may help has some screenshots to http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/install7.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:35:07 PM by Blagard »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
Win7 installer has a bug that sometimes gives an error to all your partitions claiming they're not compatible. The trick is to remove all other hard drives for the moment of installation if you have more than 1 plugged in.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:18:19 AM »
If you have any other drives on the PC it is not so simple! - Or if you have either an old PC or Windows 7 without service pack 1. In those situations you may have to install the motherboards SATA drivers during the windows initial loading.

no other drives??

dose that include DVD drives?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 12:29:42 AM »
no other drives??

dose that include DVD drives?

You should leave only the hard drive you plan to install to and the DVD if you install from DVD - or USB stick if your installation is from USB.

If you have multiple hard drives installed, sometimes Win7 installer will malfunction and start nagging about all partitions being 'the wrong type'.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »
For what it is worth I installed my Windows 7 to a new SATA drive but because I had a couple of other hard drives fitted, I disconnected them to allow Windows 7 to do an install to the only drive on the system. (the other drives were an Windows XP installation on a SATA and an IDE disc for old dos games). I can say that Windows 7 did not like my old data only IDE Hard Drive being connected during installation and it did not even have an OS on it!

With Windows 7 installed and being the master disc and the first hard drive to look for under the BIOS I reconnected all drives then put "EasyBCD" on the Win7 installation which I used to dual boot Windows 7/ Windows XP. My dual boot menu is timed for 5 seconds, so unless I select Windows XP it boots straight into Windows 7
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:19:33 AM by Blagard »