Author Topic: Win 7 lose CH gear calibration when it hibernates/sleeps. Thoughts?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. I have a CH Products USB Pro Throttle, Fighterstick and Rudders hooked up. They recognize and calibrate correctly and you can then use them.

However, if you turn off the computer or leave the computer running overnight and it goes into standby or hibernate/sleep mode, the controllers lose their calibration. They are still present in Hardware/Devices but moving them shows no response.

To get them working again I have to disable them and then do the Troubleshoot and let Windows 7 "fix" them. Then calibrate and all is good until the next time the computer goes to standby mode.

I did try this: Expand USB settings and then USB selective suspend setting and change the setting to Disabled.

I thought maybe this would keep them powered up and calibrated. Didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Re: Win 7 lose CH gear calibration when it hibernates/sleeps. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
I never did have any luck with the sleep\hibernate so I disabled both.  I leave the machine turned on 24/7.
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:48:30 AM »
It's a bug with Windows and unfortunately, Microsoft has no plans on fixing it as it's not considered to be serious and only affects a very small number of people.  Best solution is just to disable sleep/hibernate but if you want those features enabled, Brooke's fix is your best bet then.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:39:13 AM »
If you install the CH Control Manager software you will no longer be able to use windows calibration - it will direct you to calibrate in the CH Control Manager.
I wonder if that would lose calibration in the same way?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
It is a bug in Windows.  In Windows 7, you can turn off the USB ports being put to sleep.

Control Panel->Power Options->Change Plan Settings->Change advanced power settings

Expand the "USB Settings" and disable suspension.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Skuzzy, I went to MS help with this problem, found that solution and another one a few days ago. I have done both of these things:

The "USB selective suspends settings" option in the Power Options may be Enabled.
Click Start, type Power Optionsin the Search box and then click Power Options from the returned list
Click Change plan settings for the selected Power plan
Click Change advanced power settings
Expand USB settings and then USB selective suspend setting and change the setting to Disabled for the option for On battery: or Plugged in:
Click OK on the Power Settings window and click Save changes on the Edit Plan Settings window

Important: This is a default power setting , disabeling this setting will cause additional battery power consumption when your mobile PC is in Sleep or Hibernation mode and unplugged.

The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Device Manager may beEnabled.
Click Start, type Device manager in the Search box and then click Device Manager from the returned list
Click to expand USB Root Hub and click the Power Management tab
Uncheck the option to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and click OK

Note: You may see multiple listings for USB Root Hub, uncheck this option for all USB Root Hubs.
Close the Device Manager :

Important: This is a default power saving setting, disabeling this setting will cause additional battery power consumption when your mobile PC is in Sleep or Hibernation mode and unplugged.

Neither one of these changes has fixed it and I went through every single USB item on the tree looking for power options.

This is their final suggestion which I have not tried as yet. I'm not big on fooling with the Registry but…

If other methods do not resolve the problem, you can change the value for the AdditionalCriticalWorkerThrea ds registry entry. To do this, follow these steps.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Click Start Start button , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

User Account Control permission  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive
In the details pane, right-click AdditionalCriticalWorkerThrea ds, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 2, and then click OK

Note You can specify a value that is between 1 and 16.
Exit Registry Editor.

I don't really understand that but I can probably "monkey see, monkey do" that. I just am not convinced that will fix it either.

What do you think Skuzzy?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:58:52 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »
I ran into this as well.

My solutions:

http://electraforge.com/brooke/misc/useful_info/wakeUpJoystick.html

Brooke, do you have to recalibrate in Win7 with that method? Seems like the controls still get de-powered right?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
I run Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, and have my CH gear on a powered USB hub. I never lose calibration or have any issues with my gear, and I leave my machine on all evening from when I get home from work until I go to bed, then all I do is turn off the computer.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
I haven't actually shut down the computer since I built it up. I have just let it hibernate. Hmmmmmm.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »
Brooke, do you have to recalibrate in Win7 with that method? Seems like the controls still get de-powered right?

I don't have to recalibrate.  Everything seems fine.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
Yep, I use hybrid sleep, too.  Is very fast to get back up and running (a few seconds), and when in hybrid sleep, power consumption is about the same as machine being powered off.  It's very convenient.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
There is another bug in Windows Vista/7/8 which occurs when the power level on the USB bus gets too low triggering thousands of "device change" messages.  It can cause a lot of problems with operation of the sticks.

The only remedy for that one is to use an externally powered USB hub.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 08:56:23 AM »
The stick and throttle are tied into an externally powered hub. The rudders, due to the cable length, are directly into the computer USB ports.

All of them lose calibration.

It's really a minor irritant to re-calibrate but it's looking like maybe either the registry change is the next step or Brooke's batch file solution.

I'm leaning towards the batch file approach as I just hate registry changes. Maybe though since it's an MS suggested registry changes it won't have long term implications.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
BTW, Brooke, I tried your "second favorite way" and that does work.