Author Topic: What were they thinking?  (Read 720 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
What were they thinking?
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:30:53 PM »
What were the inhabitants of the AH world thinking when they built all their towns next to airfields that might be attacked, and then put their precious maprooms in the middle of the weakly defended town and not on the fortified military base?  Not only that they stuck a frickin flag there to show the enemy where it was then change the flag to white to say "comeon in"!

And what's up with all the barns in random locations with no farmhouses?  Some of those poor farmers evidently have a long drive from the town.  Not only that there's no roads so they must have to ride horses (or sheep).  And if they're sheep farmers (who isn't), where's the sheep?

It's clear to me that there's a significant lapse in civil engineering in the AH world.  HT, fix your game right now or I will threaten hollowly to quit!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: What were they thinking?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »
I often wondered how much the town folk had the night before when they sleep through a cv destroying it.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:49:13 PM »
The inhabitants are obviously completely sleep deprived since there is no night in AH Land. The sheep and farm animals died off long ago due to the lack of natural sleep cycles.

The scarier thought is that AH lands are actually filled with ZOMBIES!!!  :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:04:20 AM »
I miss the sheep, and I almost never gv.  :(

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:06:52 AM »
Ever notice how much AH and minecraft look alike? It would explain the random farming and lack of sheep... THEY ATE THEM ALL...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:32:17 AM »
Ever notice how much AH and minecraft look alike? It would explain the random farming and lack of sheep... THEY ATE THEM ALL...

:rofl

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 01:32:34 AM »
Ever notice how much AH and minecraft look alike?

I'm thinkin' you're more sleep deprived than the AH townfolk.  ;)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:25:01 AM »
---And what's up with all the barns in random locations with no farmhouses?  Some of those poor farmers evidently have a long drive from the town.  Not only that there's no roads so they must have to ride horses (or sheep).
There's several variations in farming in different countries. Here in Finland farms were/are in random locations, the farmer living somewhere in the middle of his fields far from towns and even far from each other. In Germany, most people including farmers live(d) in villages surrounded by quite large field areas. There's pros and cons in both systems. I agree, though, that the grain silos in the middle of nowhere look odd...

-My mom used to work as a henhouse consultant in the fifties and sixties, driving a moped all around this country. Been given instructions from the previous farm she had worked in, she drove away, looking for the byway to the next farm. After a while she came to some farm or village, asking for the road. It appeared that she had missed the byway. So, with new instructions she drove back, still not finding anything like a crossroad, not even a path at places matching the landmarks she was told about. Apparently the farmer walked through the woods when he had to deal with other people, skied in winter.

Considering AH being a WW2 game, American style modern highways would look odd, too. In the forties it wasn't uncommon not to have roads between villages and towns deep in the countryside, only paths and tracks. There still might be only one way from one little town to another, as I noticed a couple of years ago in Eastern France: Our trip took through a small town, much alike those in AH, but the road to the next one was closed for repairs. My navigator device couldn't find an alternative, suggesting only a forest path allowed only for the Natural Park service personnel...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 06:31:35 AM »
The bases were created by The United Nations peace keeping forces I have been informed :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:48 AM »
I'm thinkin' you're more sleep deprived than the AH townfolk.  ;)

Sheep deprived.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:06:43 AM »
Towns would predate the airfields obviously.

I would like to see towns without airfields associated with them as it is pretty odd to have an airfield for every town, but it isn't that big a deal.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »

I would like to see towns without airfields associated with them as it is pretty odd to have an airfield for every town, but it isn't that big a deal.

+1.  The fact that all airfields and cities look alike was always struck me as bland...  I mean who wants to bomb the same looking schoolhouse over and over.  I wish terrains weren't so homogenous. 
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »

Not so much. There've been cases of towns springing up next to a base built
overseas because, hey, servicemen with money. What's in your pocket, Joe?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »
+1.  The fact that all airfields and cities look alike was always struck me as bland...  I mean who wants to bomb the same looking schoolhouse over and over.  I wish terrains weren't so homogenous. 

You're obviously prejudiced against homogenouses.  ;)