Author Topic: MB ram issue  (Read 904 times)

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
MB ram issue
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:47:18 PM »
I have an ASUS p5n-d that will run with 1 stick of ram in, but wont run with any additional sticks installed. Each of the sticks runs properly alone and in any slot, but no combination of any two or more causes the computer to lock up shortly after starting properly. I have tried a full second set of ram (4x1gb) and have installed the first set (4x2gb) back in my other system and it runs perfectly.

any ideas?

68valu
Flying since tour 84

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
Re: MB ram issue
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
Brand, type and voltage of this ram?
Do you have an up-to-date Bios version on your motherboard?

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
Brand, type and voltage of this ram?
Do you have an up-to-date Bios version on your motherboard?

ddr2 800 patriot 4x2gb, or ddr2 800 4x1gb kingston
i dont know how to update the bios, but before making changes to the MB it ran fine with 4x1gb
Flying since tour 84

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
before making changes to the MB it ran fine with 4x1gb

So what did you change?

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »
So what did you change?

changed the processor from an e8600 to a q9550 and changed it back - no difference
installed windows 7 64 bit on a new hard drive - tried a new 2nd hard drive and tried to put windows xp back on - it still locked up
replaced 2 SLI 9800 gt to SLI gtx 550 gpu's still have these installed.

The system runs but randomly locks up. I'm using it for this forum as I type and it has locked up 3 times since I started this thread with a single 1gb stick in.
Flying since tour 84

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »
do you have the ram installed in the right slots?  some mobo's are picky and will only boot the first time with 1 set that is in the correct slots.  I have an asus and that's how it worked the first time.

also for some reason, sometimes you have to have the matching ram in the correct slots, that's how it is on mine.  I have 2 matching sets of 4 gigs.  if I mix them, my mobo wont boot up.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
do you have the ram installed in the right slots?  some mobo's are picky and will only boot the first time with 1 set that is in the correct slots.  I have an asus and that's how it worked the first time.

also for some reason, sometimes you have to have the matching ram in the correct slots, that's how it is on mine.  I have 2 matching sets of 4 gigs.  if I mix them, my mobo wont boot up.

semp

each set is 4 identical sets that work flawlessly in my other computer
Flying since tour 84

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »
each set is 4 identical sets that work flawlessly in my other computer

assuming the mobo isnt kaput, other than a bent pin, heat sink not sitting properly, heat sink fan not working.  only thing I got left is the ram not being in the right slots.

does the asus bios have a way to check the ram? 

wait, was your system working ok before you changed the cpu?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »

wait, was your system working ok before you changed the cpu?

semp

yes it was but i put the original back in with the same results
Flying since tour 84

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
Could possibly try and reset bios to default see if it helps. Just saying coz you have changed the cpus back and forth. Then make sure you have the correct voltage for the RAM.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
Could possibly try and reset bios to default see if it helps. Just saying coz you have changed the cpus back and forth. Then make sure you have the correct voltage for the RAM.

I just updated the bios to current release and put all 4 sticks of the 1gb and it started up, I logged online and it locked up shortly after my home page loaded. I soft shutdowned it and removed 3 sticks and started it back up and logged online, went to youtube , started a video and it runs fine with 1 stick :headscratch:
Flying since tour 84

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »
could the motherboard have a controller for the ram slots? and if so maybe it got damaged?
Flying since tour 84

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 12:24:10 AM »
could the motherboard have a controller for the ram slots? and if so maybe it got damaged?

If the memory doesn't work anymore even with the old cpu in place, chances are you gave something an ESD when you swapped the cpus.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 06:10:29 AM »
I agree with MRripley, I have had some memory dimm's I had to send back, using the warranty on them,  a Memtest normally reveals these issues.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »
An ESD is pretty lethal. I unfortunately fried an expensive video editing system about 8 years ago by not taking proper precautions. Now? I not only ground myself and take the power cable out of a case Im going to open but also unplug ANY powered extra from the case before I open it. Most of all in winter.

The best I could describe a ESD event as being would be "weird". As in symptoms that cant be explained by any other means. It sounds like your case fits the bill. Your going to have to get that MB tested.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"