Author Topic: Win 7 lose CH gear calibration when it hibernates/sleeps. Thoughts?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Win 7 lose CH gear calibration when it hibernates/sleeps. Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
BTW, Brooke, I tried your "second favorite way" and that does work.

Sounds good.

Now that you can find the correct hub in your device manager, setting up the third way is much easier, so if you want to try it, it shouldn't take too much time.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 05:25:06 AM »
I never did have any luck with the sleep\hibernate so I disabled both.  I leave the machine turned on 24/7.

^ this

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
D/l'd 41 updates last night. Hybrid sleep disappeared from choices. Now there is only sleep and you can set the run time before sleep. Interested to see if any of the changes affect this USB power issue   I have gone thru and told It to always keep the hubs powered before but that did nothing   Will see what happens now before I make other changes
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 11:40:31 AM »
I seem to recall that it was suggested/recommended to not let Windows 7 64 bit version to go into hibernate or sleep mode.... I am not sure if that applied to the win7 32bit version or not though...

But on the 64bit version, it could end up wrecking havoc on your pc & your win7 64 bit os ....

I myself have always made sure that hibernation and sleep modes were disabled

I just turn my pc off when not in use for long periods... I do not nor have ever needed an USB hub orr USB powered hub... and never have had calibration issues with my ch fighterstick hotas setup

Glad you was able to get your setup working Toad

Cheers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »
I seem to recall that it was suggested/recommended to not let Windows 7 64 bit version to go into hibernate or sleep mode.... I am not sure if that applied to the win7 32bit version or not though...

But on the 64bit version, it could end up wrecking havoc on your pc & your win7 64 bit os ....

I myself have always made sure that hibernation and sleep modes were disabled

I just turn my pc off when not in use for long periods... I do not nor have ever needed an USB hub orr USB powered hub... and never have had calibration issues with my ch fighterstick hotas setup

Glad you was able to get your setup working Toad

Cheers

TC
One thing I've noticed causing trouble is Windows storing several gigabytes of hibernation files on the hard disk. It looks like Windows gets mixed up with them. Turning the pc off will also clean and reset many other things which could cause poor performance. My advice to customers asking for sleep/hibernation modes has so far been to use sleep for a short time afk and shutdown for the night or work. A couple of daily cold starts wouldn't hurt the system more than the 24/7 wear and tear, but it will do many maintenance tasks.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 07:40:42 AM »
I haven't actually shut down the computer since I built it up. I have just let it hibernate. Hmmmmmm.

Ive honestly never believed in that. A computer is a delicate electronic machine and I just dont believe in leaving it on all the time.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
At work we leave them on always, some of them with hybrid sleep, some without sleep; and home, I leave a couple of PC's on (with hybrid sleep enabled) all of the time.  I have no problems.  They get reboots when updates require it, but not much more than that.

At work we do this because there are some machines that run equipment, so they are on always; and our desktop machines we leave on always so that virus scans and backups can happen daily at night.  I've done it that way on probably about 300 computers over the past 10 years.

At home I do it because it is so fast to wake the machine up compared to booting when I want to use it, and energy consumption during hybrid sleep is about the same as the computer turned off.  I wiggle the mouse or press a key, and the machine is awake and ready to go in about 4 seconds.  From an asleep machine to first web page up and viewable is typically about 8 seconds, and a couple seconds of that is me typing in my password.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
At work we leave them on always, some of them with hybrid sleep, some without sleep; and home, I leave a couple of PC's on (with hybrid sleep enabled) all of the time.  I have no problems. 
That may work for you, I have no doubt about that. At work even more, I believe you have well thought administrative settings there for the average user. The average home user is the one who'll get problems with sleep and hibernate: Only a fraction knows about browser caches, temp files and such, not to mention cleaning them. As Windows by default will install both critical and "important" updates, they'll believe everything will be updated. Only a month ago I met an XP machine with only its native SP1 installed, not to mention the multitude of Vista originals! I even believe that most of the AH'ers who'd skip this forum on the AH BBS in favour of the O'club. Not to mention those who'd install Norton 360 on top of that to "take care of their system"... 
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni