Author Topic: How to improve internet connection  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: How to improve internet connection
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »
Well, I've got everything on cat 6, still getting some erratic jumps in the net status. Host Queue time doesn't look to be stable either. This was only tested for about 10 minutes in the MA though and I'll keep with it and see if anything changes.

------------------------------------------------------
OK, So a little more flying and so far it's just as laggy and warpy as before. This is the Net Status at it's worst. (I was told I was not warping at all, but I could see lots of little warps)

I'm still getting a lot of shots on me like this one were the tracers are 3-4 plane lengths behind me but I still take damage.

If it means anything I went and looked at the signal strengths with the new cat 6 cable. Downstream is now 6.5 dBm and Upstream is 10.5 dBm
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:47:22 PM by Latrobe »

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
Latrobe, what is your downstream signal to noise ratio (SNR)?  That can have a big impact on transfer rates and overall Internet experience.  It should be over 30.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
Downstream varies very slightly but is over 30. Lowest it's been in the last 4 hours is 31.4, the highest is 32.5

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »
Years ago Skuzzy pointed out that the VnD is a better indication of a systemic issue with your PC and the Host Queue is an indicator of your connection. I've seen your VnD line events on my PCs over the years both as results of an ISP or Internet event and of hardware, service, and driver issues.

Do you play on a laptop or a PC?

In the past some cable providers have not configured their routers to be game friendly. A few players in the past found this to be an issue. Not sure if cable providers are doing that anymore. That's one of the reasons I'm still on DSL. Something as simple as leaving your TrackIR GUI open with the game running has caused my FPS to tank and strange VnD lines as the CPU was stressed. Video drivers have caused strange VnD lines for me in the past. If your CPU congests you can cause your own warps.

You might for due diligence, ask Skuzzy to look at a DXDiag report of your PC\Laptop.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »
So I did a msconfig like someone pointed out the other night and cleared a lot of background programs out. Seems to have had some sort of affect as the net status isn't as all over the place as it used to be but I am still getting hit from shots that are no where near me. It's very frustrating to done everything right in a fight and yet still die because the bullets were no where near me.

What part of the dxdiag is needed again? All of it or just a specific part?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:05 AM »
MsConfig is one way to clear background programs, but it doesn't show everything. Try CCleaner by Piriform. It not only can clean your temp files and registry, it also has a very detailed Startup manager in its Tools section. There you'll get a sorted view, showing even browser extensions which may live their own life even with the browser seemingly closed. Some of them can't be disabled directly from there, but you'll get a hint for what to look after either in the browsers' add-ons or in the Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Some of them are very sneaky to remove, often the best way is to use some malware cleaner with "potentionally unwanted programs" checked - like the Eset Online Scanner I referred to in my first input.

Another thing that can affect your gaming is your antivirus. What are you using? If the anti-virus is checking every single package received in-game, that will surely cause variance, because packets aren't identical! You can try to put AH into the Exceptions list, maybe even change the anti-virus program you're using...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 05:13:31 AM »
My anti-virus is AVG. I'd forgotten that people sometimes have issues with aces high while the anti-virus is open. I'll have to look into that. I'll also try that CCleaner and see how that goes.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 06:27:59 AM »
It would be very helpful if you had another known clean computer to run AH with. I believe it need not even be a gaming rig to view the netstat sitting in the tower. I was first thinking about a laptop used by a female family member, but on second thought something plagued by crapware installed by Facebook apps and ads wouldn't be any better than your own computer... Anyway, a second computer would give you a hint whether the problems are in your computer or in your Internet connections.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »
Don't have a 2nd computer to try it on. Did the CClean and checked out my anti-virus. Set it up so Aces high is an exception for my anti-virus. CClean cleaned out 5GB worth of stuff. So far the game feel pretty smooth. The net status kind of jumps up just a bit every now and then but it's no where near as severe as it used to be. Had a few incidents where tracers well behind my plane were doing damage but not quite as often as before. Some of this might be caused by the weather so I guess I won't know if it's 100% fixed until we get clearer weather.

So far though it's a heck of a lot better than what it used to be.  :aok :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »
That's good news! 5 GB is quite a lot of stuff, especially if it's in the browser temp files. At least Internet Explorer has a setting to "check for newer versions of stored sites", which in my understanding will use a great amount of internet resources. That's (one reason) why I've set every browser in my computer to delete temporary files at closing. I've also checked "never" in the Internet options of IE or Control Panel, whichever way reaching them better suits you. And I still suggest you to do a scan for "potentionally unwanted" applications, which AVG necessarily doesn't find because they're not viruses.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »
So I did a msconfig like someone pointed out the other night and cleared a lot of background programs out. Seems to have had some sort of affect as the net status isn't as all over the place as it used to be but I am still getting hit from shots that are no where near me. It's very frustrating to done everything right in a fight and yet still die because the bullets were no where near me.

What part of the dxdiag is needed again? All of it or just a specific part?

The first third, up to and including <SOUND DEVICES>

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
Here is a Windows batch script that I run before logging on to AH.  It stops various extraneous processes and programs that run on my PC under Windows 7.  (see link in sig for PC parts)  I keep a copy of this right on my desktop.  To run it, I right-click on it to bring up the actions/properties menu, and then left-click on "Run as administrator."  The script ends with a "pause" command, so I can review the results.  If the script tries to stop something that's not running at that time, it just displays a warning message.

Script follows...

#####################

rem ### this file shuts down selected windows 7 programs
rem ### simply reboot machine to return to normal config

rem ### Home Group Provider
net stop HomeGroupProvider

rem ### Network List Service
net stop netprofm

rem ### Network Location Awareness
net stop nlasvc

rem ### PNRP Machine Name Publication Service
net stop PNRPAutoReg

rem ### Peer Networking Grouping
net stop p2psvc

rem ### Peer Name Resolution Protcol
net stop PNRPsvc

rem ### Peer Networking Identity Manager
net stop p2pimsvc

rem ### Function Discovery Provider Host
net stop fdPHost

rem ### Function Discovery Resource Publication
net stop FDResPub

rem ### Background Intelligent Transfer Service
net stop bits

rem ### Windows Update
net stop wuauserv

rem ### Windows Search
net stop WSearch

rem ### Windows Backup
net stop SDRSVC

rem ### Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
net stop WMPNetworkSvc

rem ### Disk Defragmenter
net stop defragsvc

rem ### IP Helper (IPv6 transition gizmo)
net stop iphlpsvc

rem ### TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
net stop lmhosts

rem ### Offline Files
net stop CscService

rem ### Superfetch
net stop SysMain

rem ### Print Spooler
net stop Spooler

rem ### FAX Service
net stop Fax

rem ### Remote Registry
net stop RemoteRegistry

rem ### Routing and Remote Access
net stop RemoteAccess

rem ### Microsoft Office Service
net stop OfficeSvc

rem ### LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service
net stop LightScribeService

rem ### Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
net stop stisvc

rem ### ArcSoft Connect Daemon
net stop ACDaemon

rem ### Apple iPod programs
taskkill /f /t /im "iTunesHelper.exe"
net stop "Apple Mobile Device"
net stop "Bonjour Service"
net stop "iPod Service"

rem ### RIM BlackBerry programs
taskkill /f /t /im "RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe"
net stop "Blackberry Device Manager"

rem ### Java Update Scheduler
taskkill /f /t /im "jusched.exe"

rem ### Steam Client Bootstrapper
taskkill /f /t /im "Steam.exe"

rem ### HP Network Printer programs
taskkill /f /t /im "NPNetworkCommunicator.exe"
taskkill /f /t /im "ScanToPCActivationApp.exe"

rem ### Adobe Acrobat gunk
taskkill /f /t /im "acrotray.exe"

pause

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:32:05 PM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »
So now that the nasty weather has mostly gone I've been able to see if any of this has fixed my problem. The answer is not really. Planes aren't as warpy as they used to be but still jerk backwards and forwards sometimes. Biggest issue of all has not been resolved and that's that I am still taking hits from planes that don't even have their nose pointed towards me. I am not sure what else I can do other than save up some money for a new router and hope that somehow fixes it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
So now that the nasty weather has mostly gone I've been able to see if any of this has fixed my problem. The answer is not really.

The bad weather has not directly caused any anomalies in the Internet. It has only been breaking the infrastructure. Now that the weather is better, the rebuilding can start at full throttle. They can't check those 500 mile long telecommunication cables in mere hours, though. So you can't really exclude the bad weather effects from possible causes. Not saying that a new router wouldn't help, but only as a means of troubleshooting. Doesn't your ISP support lend routers for troubleshooting?

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »
So now that the nasty weather has mostly gone I've been able to see if any of this has fixed my problem. The answer is not really. Planes aren't as warpy as they used to be but still jerk backwards and forwards sometimes. Biggest issue of all has not been resolved and that's that I am still taking hits from planes that don't even have their nose pointed towards me. I am not sure what else I can do other than save up some money for a new router and hope that somehow fixes it.

All that means is that on the front end of the other player, you are in line of fire.  It is due to lag you are seeing the bullets appear to come from odd angles.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com