Author Topic: Best VC under $100?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Best VC under $100?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »
Seriously, don't ask.  He's peculiar, just leave it at that.
putting a 56k modem in a desktop computer these days is...beyond peculiar.  :huh  more like a dr. phil candidate...  :lol
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 01:26:28 AM »
Get him an external modem so he doesn't have to keep getting new ones every time a style of card slot is eliminated from modern computers.  First ASA, now PCI, 10 years from now PCIe, lol.  I bet you'll find USB 7 to Serial Port adapters still in 10 years though.

Edit: Ebay shows USR Courier external modems for $10.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:29:51 AM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 04:47:56 AM »
You still have a way oversized and mediocre PSU in the list, get lower Watts at better Quality like a 500W Seasonic with 80+ Gold.
Remember, the Wattage rating is the rated output of the PSU so 500W is sufficient to power your system even if you choose a 200+ Watt gfx card.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
You still have a way oversized and mediocre PSU in the list, get lower Watts at better Quality like a 500W Seasonic with 80+ Gold.
Remember, the Wattage rating is the rated output of the PSU so 500W is sufficient to power your system even if you choose a 200+ Watt gfx card.
you're forgetting the power usage of the cpu, hard drives, fans, optical drive, etc...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
650W is still overkill and quality is rather mediocre.
Better get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151126

If your gonna give me toejam about the PS, at least provide a link to something that is better.  Although taken with a grain of salt, I do read reviews and base many decisions on them.  I prefer products with 1000 or more since it's not all going to be fake.  You post a link to a PS with 2 reviews and they both contain complaints.  No thanks.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »
I didnt know there were any good Vid Cards under $100.

I still have a GTX580 laying around if someone wants to make an offer. Eventually I'll probably end up donating it to veterans causes if I dont get one.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
If your gonna give me toejam about the PS, at least provide a link to something that is better.  Although taken with a grain of salt, I do read reviews and base many decisions on them.  I prefer products with 1000 or more since it's not all going to be fake.  You post a link to a PS with 2 reviews and they both contain complaints.  No thanks.

Its not a matter of power, but reliability. A bad PSU can toast your PC on the spot, or reduce its longevity on the long run.
I run an i5 3570k with a radeon 280X, 3 hard drives and DVD on a 5 years old Seasonic 520W Bronze PSU. Power calculator gives 450W max for my kind of config.

Getting a random PSU si gambling is like your savings for no gains.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
Just blindly picking a Seasonic is not going to solve his every power supply problem.  The proper way to pick a good component is to determine the specs you need and/or want, check reviews at multiple respected review sites to discover high quality options, corroborate that with user reviews, then rank the units yourself according to which you think it best, check actual prices for you to get that component to your door (including all costs), and get the one highest on your list that fits in the budget for that component.

Seasonic is not the best at every pricepoint.  There are people on this BBS who will blindly tell you to get a Seasonic without even researching other alternatives that may be just as good or better, based on brand name alone.  And that's no way to make decisions.

Here's is, IMO, the best power supply reviews on the planet: http://hardocp.com/reviews/psu_power_supplies

Find a specific model they rate highly that fits your budget, check other review sites and see if they agree, and check user reviews if it passes the first two criteria.  Don't worry about brand name, although Seasonic will likely be a contender, they are not the only one.

As for a $100 video card, you might check this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7703/desktop-video-card-buyers-guide-january-2014 , (which recommends the AMD Radeon HD 7770).
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
Just blindly picking a Seasonic is not going to solve his every power supply problem.  The proper way to pick a good component is to determine the specs you need and/or want, check reviews at multiple respected review sites to discover high quality options, corroborate that with user reviews, then rank the units yourself according to which you think it best, check actual prices for you to get that component to your door (including all costs), and get the one highest on your list that fits in the budget for that component.

Seasonic is not the best at every pricepoint.  There are people on this BBS who will blindly tell you to get a Seasonic without even researching other alternatives that may be just as good or better, based on brand name alone.  And that's no way to make decisions.

Here's is, IMO, the best power supply reviews on the planet: http://hardocp.com/reviews/psu_power_supplies

Find a specific model they rate highly that fits your budget, check other review sites and see if they agree, and check user reviews if it passes the first two criteria.  Don't worry about brand name, although Seasonic will likely be a contender, they are not the only one.

As for a $100 video card, you might check this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7703/desktop-video-card-buyers-guide-january-2014 , (which recommends the AMD Radeon HD 7770).

Thanks for the hardocp link.  Unfortunately they failed the PS I used, only time will tell.  Worse comes to worse it dies and my buddy buys me a case of beer to install a new one.  :P

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors