Author Topic: Getting prepared for 1st build, need advice.  (Read 5178 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Getting prepared for 1st build, need advice.
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
I'm a novice, yet my machine has worked from the get go. A novice giving what worked for him to another novice.

There is more to building a machine than buying parts and plugging them in. Tinkles said he wanted to learn, well myself and others are trying to give him things to investigate.  It seems more important to you to be right than to give him the tools to question his choices and know where to start if things do not function right and/or well.

Bios updates are no big deal, period. Its software, like drivers, like OS's, like the game. All of which he is choosing to deal with if he builds his own machine. Should he be wary, absolutely, should he be scared, absolutely not!
The modern hardware development is so far ahead of software development its sad. This comes from the CEO of Intel.

So Tinkles learn m8, your plate is gonna get full as you move forward. :salute

You're giving bad advice there. Bios updates are something you should never do unnecessarily. Perhaps you can buy him a new machine when he manages to brick his first and only computer? LOL!
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »
 :bhead
sad, sad, sad.

Your opinion is no more valid than mine. You have no more proof than me. Go ahead and scare him if you need too. I just gave him things to research as did the others. You just need to be right, so your right.................. :noid
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2014, 04:15:04 AM »
:bhead
sad, sad, sad.

Your opinion is no more valid than mine. You have no more proof than me. Go ahead and scare him if you need too. I just gave him things to research as did the others. You just need to be right, so your right.................. :noid

Uhm you said you're a novice. I'm a professional with more than a decade of experience (actually more than two decades if you count pre-PC). Perhaps that makes a small difference? If you don't take my word for it, how about these:

http://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

Quote from: Intel Corporation http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034499.htm
Note    

Update the BIOS on your computer only if the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem you have. Intel does not recommend BIOS updates for computers that do not need it. You can view all new BIOS fixes in the release notes included on the BIOS download page in Download Center.
    Downgrading the BIOS to an earlier version is not recommended and might not be supported. An earlier BIOS version might not provide important fixes, critical security updates, or support the latest board revisions currently being manufactured.
    Before initiating a BIOS update, be sure to read and precisely follow the update instructions. You can open and print any PDF file from the online instructions table for easy reference.
    All images in the examples used in the instructions are for illustration purposes only. You need to select the correct BIOS files for your Intel NUC.
    If a BIOS update process is interrupted, your computer might not function properly. Intel suggests the process be done in an environment with a steady power supply (preferably with UPS).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:22:42 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
Ripley,
The gentleman wanted to know "an" approach to building his own machine.
The point is to give him info that he can research on his own, so he can make "his" choices. I told him "my" choices.
Choices that worked for "me", multiple times. I have yet to give a dime to a computer tech builder/fixer, or a computer builder/fixer company.
You want to be critical, so be it.

As I said, there's more to it than matching components. If "I" can do it, anyone can do it.
The technology has changed, its been made easier, its what sells computer components. But they do not sell the "how to apply it", do they. If I had chosen to listen to advice by all the nay sayers in forums, I would have learned squat, I would have been paying thousands more for my computers.
 :salute
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:52:36 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
Ripley,
The gentleman wanted to know "an" approach to building his own machine.
The point is to give him info that he can research on his own, so he can make "his" choices. I told him "my" choices.
Choices that worked for "me", multiple times. I have yet to give a dime to a computer tech builder/fixer, or a computer builder/fixer company.
You want to be critical, so be it.

As I said, there's more to it than matching components. If "I" can do it, anyone can do it.
The technology has changed, its been made easier, its what sells computer components. But they do not sell the "how to apply it", do they. If I had chosen to listen to advice by all the nay sayers in forums, I would have learned squat, I would have been paying thousands more for my computers.
 :salute

Yep keep doing unnecessary updates untill you fry your mobo for all I care.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »
Yep keep doing unnecessary updates untill you fry your mobo for all I care.
lmao, just half to have the last word don't ya.

I suggested nothing I have not done myself first, have not done a bios update since I built the machine. Got them right at the outset, moved on.
You said once you could not use SSD's with XP. I do. Who cares if you got 20 years of doing nothing but by the book.
You must live in a box, no windows and a calendar dated 1990. I do not think I have read 1 post from you that offered any op any real help, just control freak dogma.

Must just kill you that a self taught person can build a machine, a good machine and fairly cheap ta'boot. LMAO

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 12:18:23 AM »
lmao, just half to have the last word don't ya.

I suggested nothing I have not done myself first, have not done a bios update since I built the machine. Got them right at the outset, moved on.
You said once you could not use SSD's with XP. I do. Who cares if you got 20 years of doing nothing but by the book.
You must live in a box, no windows and a calendar dated 1990. I do not think I have read 1 post from you that offered any op any real help, just control freak dogma.

Must just kill you that a self taught person can build a machine, a good machine and fairly cheap ta'boot. LMAO

I never said you CANT use SSD with XP I said it's not a good idea as XP lacks TRIM. If you don't have TRIM your SSD can clog up with stale blocks and your expensive hardware becomes as slow as a 5200rpm laptop drive. That's really smart use of your money isn't it?

You sound like the guy who crossed the Atlantic in a rubber dingy. Yeah, he did it so he can recommend it to everyone instead of taking the Queen Mary II or a 380 lol.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
Is it just me or is Dingy a funny word :rofl
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
Is it just me or is Dingy a funny word :rofl

I do agree, Dingy is a funny word  :lol

As for the computer build. My ancient machine is in the shop due to repairs (more like bandaides and ducttape to keep it hobbiling along until April when it dies) .  The computer guy who is working on it now, will be assisting me (and eventually be reading) all these posts and see if the setups and recommendations are 'worthy'/'necessary'.   So I'm not entirely alone here, but I still appreciate the effort to assist and educate.  :aok
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 10:17:56 AM »
Dingy!
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »
I never said you CANT use SSD with XP I said it's not a good idea as XP lacks TRIM. If you don't have TRIM your SSD can clog up with stale blocks and your expensive hardware becomes as slow as a 5200rpm laptop drive. That's really smart use of your money isn't it?

You sound like the guy who crossed the Atlantic in a rubber dingy. Yeah, he did it so he can recommend it to everyone instead of taking the Queen Mary II or a 380 lol.

SSD's do not need trim. Firmware takes care of that. That is if your willing to flash the FW with the manufacturers upgrades.
But you do not upgrade your hardware, remember.
You really should get a new calendar, its 2014 now. Maybe read some literature on modern equipment. Trim does not function with a RAID array either.
I know I do not have all the answers. That's why I still try to learn.

5+ year old SSD's. I do not think their clogged.

The Queen Mary is a museum now. Beautiful old gal, I used to watch her come into port. That is the original Queen Mary anyways. She's haunted as well.

Tinkles,
Sorry to hear your game machine is down. Hope you do not have to burn a lot of cash. The old rig will be quite useful if you still plan to build your own. The internet will be invaluable as to answering questions that come up. Remember to corroborate everything tho, do not settle for just 1 stated answer, including mine. Get a dozen.
After you decide on a set of hardware, double and triple check that they will work with mobo selection. The mobo manufacturer should have a QVL on board. Quality Vendors List, will tell you what brand ram has been tested by manufacturer for your mobo selection. TBH, I would not get anything older than a Intel X-58 chipset board. It uses QPI, no FSB. I found them easier to deal with.
Look at the PCI-E slot layout, big vid cards have a tendency to cover up other PCI slots. All depends on your extended plan for new machine. ie: sound card............many ducks to line up....................
Also make sure you keep "all" purchase receipts and register "all" components with the manufacturer right away. You could be sold bad hardware, you never know. If you manage to brick the hardware by carelessness or ignorance, they "might" allow you an RMA'ed replacement.
Part of the duck thing..........
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:29:33 PM by MADe »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »

so I guess tinkles' dingy is coming up?  i wonder how ripley found that out  :noid.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2014, 12:08:11 AM »
SSD's do not need trim. Firmware takes care of that.

Uhh you're wrong. TRIM is essential for your drive health. If you rely on garbage collection only you need to leave your computer powered and idle for several hours. And if you haven't disabled windows updates etc. chances are your computer won't go idle at any time when you think it should be idle.

The only way to make sure garbage collection will activate is to power up the drive for hours without the sata connected if you use a windows machine.

On garbage collection only and especially using small drives you may get your drive stale.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2014, 02:49:41 AM »
Unfortunately trim does not work for some 6gb SATA controllers (example : my marwell 91xx) regardless of OS.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2014, 05:23:30 AM »
Unfortunately trim does not work for some 6gb SATA controllers (example : my marwell 91xx) regardless of OS.

According to Gigabyte: "Marvel SE9128 controller can support TRIM command only with Win7 built-in driver, however, Win7 built-in driver doesn’t support SATA hot plug. With Marvell’s own driver, it doesn’t support TRIM command, but it enables hot plug."

So as long as you use the built in driver your trim works fine.

Edit: Of course I don't know if the above applies for all 91xx series.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:05:46 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »