Author Topic: Getting prepared for 1st build, need advice.  (Read 5124 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Re: Getting prepared for 1st build, need advice.
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »
Uhh you're wrong. TRIM is essential for your drive health. If you rely on garbage collection only you need to leave your computer powered and idle for several hours. And if you haven't disabled windows updates etc. chances are your computer won't go idle at any time when you think it should be idle.

The only way to make sure garbage collection will activate is to power up the drive for hours without the sata connected if you use a windows machine.

On garbage collection only and especially using small drives you may get your drive stale.

Garbage collection will be enabled whether in single drive usage or RAID usage. In my experience with Vector it is robust and tends to maintain performance with or without trim functioning. I wouldn't see any need to force it via safemode or bios idle time, log off will be great and even idle at desktop works well on these drives. The need for garbage collection will depend on usage habits; I write between 10-20GB/day onto a single Vector and never see performance drops even with routine benchmarking via ATTO or AS SSD. I don't logoff or do anything special to maintain performance under this usage scenario.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?108504-Garbage-collection-in-raid-0-setup&highlight=FW+1.7+and+Garbage+Collection

Ripley(H) believe him or not. he he
Silly man, always feel a need to over shadow others.

Like I said, I only comment on what I have actually done. I do not comment on forum posts, I have only read. Self taught and still self teaching.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2014, 11:58:23 PM »
Garbage collection will be enabled whether in single drive usage or RAID usage. In my experience with Vector it is robust and tends to maintain performance with or without trim functioning. I wouldn't see any need to force it via safemode or bios idle time, log off will be great and even idle at desktop works well on these drives. The need for garbage collection will depend on usage habits; I write between 10-20GB/day onto a single Vector and never see performance drops even with routine benchmarking via ATTO or AS SSD. I don't logoff or do anything special to maintain performance under this usage scenario.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?108504-Garbage-collection-in-raid-0-setup&highlight=FW+1.7+and+Garbage+Collection

Ripley(H) believe him or not. he he
Silly man, always feel a need to over shadow others.

Like I said, I only comment on what I have actually done. I do not comment on forum posts, I have only read. Self taught and still self teaching.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Just because YOU don't have a problem with your specific drive doesn't mean others won't have. Your results will vary depending on your usage scenarios and the SSD model used. Especially older generation drives (you know, when XP was still popular) were not functioning well without trim. What trim basically does is inform the garbage collection on OS level about changes in the filesystem so that the drive can more efficiently perform wear leveling and garbage collection. If trim is not used the wear leveling will not function as efficiently as possible (leading to a shorter life) and the drive will need a routine idle time to perform internal garbace collection.

Also Windows XP does not contain any optimization for SSD, it will treat the SSD as a regular HDD. Windows Vista and newer OSes disable multiple functions automatically to preserve the SSD.

So, keep doing needless BIOS updates and abusing your hardware in any imaginable ways you can fathom for all I care. You pay what you break :D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:29:08 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
So now you know more than the manufacturer. lmao

What needless bios update are you referring too? Gigabyte just updates their bios revisions because there is nothing better to do.

You must hunt with a shotgun. So what's your non info really all about? oh I keep forgetting, your the only one that's right, my error.

Tinkles,
Ripley is obviously a computer tech who needs work. So I regret to inform you that you cannot not build your own puter, you do not have the required intellect or 20 years of computer engineering experience, so sorry, you must contract Ripley computer builders, and pay him.
Me either, but ignorant moi did it anyways, oops. Signature machine pushing 6 years, will be working in 2020.

Ripley, believe him or not.

I know I should not keep feeding the beast, but the non-useful rhetoric just makes me ROF&L. OMG, my machine just imploded. China Syndrome in progress. :O
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2014, 06:31:32 PM »
So now you know more than the manufacturer. lmao

What needless bios update are you referring too? Gigabyte just updates their bios revisions because there is nothing better to do.

You must hunt with a shotgun. So what's your non info really all about? oh I keep forgetting, your the only one that's right, my error.

Tinkles,
Ripley is obviously a computer tech who needs work. So I regret to inform you that you cannot not build your own puter, you do not have the required intellect or 20 years of computer engineering experience, so sorry, you must contract Ripley computer builders, and pay him.
Me either, but ignorant moi did it anyways, oops. Signature machine pushing 6 years, will be working in 2020.

Ripley, believe him or not.

I know I should not keep feeding the beast, but the non-useful rhetoric just makes me ROF&L. OMG, my machine just imploded. China Syndrome in progress. :O

Which manufacturer again recommends you to do bios updates on a working machine? Which manufacturer tells you you don't need TRIM when you run SSDs and says XP is perfectly fine for longevity?

Which part of the Intel quote which recommended NOT to make bios updates for nothing did you not understand?

You're right in one thing. Tinkles should never build machines following your advice.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
Ripley believe him or not.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »
Ripley believe him or not.

Just answer the questions or shut up.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2014, 12:31:23 AM »
I wish for world peace.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »
Dingy!
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
Just answer the questions or shut up.

You should take your own advice. You have yet to offer the op anything. You only criticize those that have offered him something to research. Take things out of context and generally gainsay anyone else.

The world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, and if man was meant to fly, he would have wings. 

Ripley's believe it or not. I choose not.

Oh and my machine still works. he he

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
You should take your own advice. You have yet to offer the op anything. You only criticize those that have offered him something to research. Take things out of context and generally gainsay anyone else.

The world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, and if man was meant to fly, he would have wings. 

Ripley's believe it or not. I choose not.

Oh and my machine still works. he he

Your giving advice thats against manufacturer recommendations and best practices and then you have the odassity to give attitude also lol. You're some work.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
Your giving advice thats against manufacturer recommendations and best practices and then you have the odassity to give attitude also lol. You're some work.

audacity
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2014, 01:46:48 AM »
audacity

Thanks, English is my third language.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »
What does the title of Tinkles thread ask for, "ADVICE".

I offered Tinkles things to research. I offered nothing I do not do myself, and I qualified my response's by stating to double and triple check what I stated I did. He is an adult and can make his own decisions based on what he researches on his own. Manufacturers make "disclaimers", then provide updates for their products.

My machines still here. Still works and will continue to work until its out of date, which it already is!

Just because you cannot update mobo bios without bricking a board, means nothing to the rest of us who can. Yes, I do dare, I have dared and will continue to dare. Nothing audacious about it, its what people do, its why we learn, progress and move forward. The offer of "NO" advice, gainsaying others, is merely ego oriented fluff. You have spent how many posts, saying the same thing, nothing. All you do is guarantee he will shell out cash to your kind. I sir do not! Have yet too and will not ever.

I believe 1 definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. How those shoes fit m8?

Ripley's believe it or not. I do not believe.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:40:01 PM by MADe »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »
LOL you're just uncureable. I rest my case.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
LOL you're just uncureable. I rest my case.

Its "incurable". You have no idea. I was not aware you made a case.

If I was to listen to only your kind of thought process, I would have not learned how to do anything. I build things, all kinds of things, and when I'm finished with a project, it usually works, and works well. All my computers still work.
Life is a risk, I do not, not do things because someone states it cannot or should not be done. You should try it sometime, its quite rewarding to think outside the box.

My world and your welcome to join it. American born and bred, there's a reason America became the best nation on the planet, its not perfect, but I would not trade it for any other nation.