Author Topic: Your Game of the Year  (Read 517 times)

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
Your Game of the Year
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
It has been a weird year for me in gaming, some of my favorite games I played awhile back are now gone and unplayable due to their servers being shutdown. Some games I played at the end of this year made me ask questions and think "that was good". However no game has touched me before in my life just like one did for me this year. Actually no movie, book, comic and possibly even music has touched me before like this game ever. Before I say what that game was though I would just like to ask you to think about all the games you played this year and what made them good or bad for you. All the games I played this year had at least something a little good about them. Whether it be the action packed multiplayer or the intense story driven single-player. Yours might have been Bioshock: Infinite with its amazing story or Battlefield 4 with its epic Micheal Bay explosions. However how I decide my game of the year isn't necessarily by how long I played it or how cool it looked. More though by its lasting effect it left on me after I completed those ending seconds. My favorite game of all time will and always shall be Call o......I mean.

The best game of the year for me this both wonderful and tragic year of 2013 is The Last of Us. The reasons it is such is because it is not like so many other stories I have seen before with a clean and walk off into the sunset ending knowing everything is going to be alright. It left with no conclusion, no resolution. It leaves you asking questions to yourself. Were the choices they made the right ones? Would I have done the same thing in that situation? I put it gently so I may not spoil it for those who have not had a chance to play the game.

"We are not murders, we just survive"

What was your game of the year?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:29:42 PM by stealth »
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Re: Your Game of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
gta 5, I still play online free roam battling it out with crews. It's like cod for me but with a larger arena and no end to the fight until someone rage quits. Though the hackers and glitchers (whiney kids who cant play without resorting to cheating) are slowly killing it. :frown:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:24:53 PM by bagrat »
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:00:33 PM »
Last of Us had a great storyline (and I liked the crafting system too).

GTA 5 was a beautiful change of pace from GTASA and 4.  I really like it when the player gets to decide the storyline outcome.

Borderlands 2 I hear was good also.

AC Black Flag I liked the storyline and how it fit nicely with AC3's storyline and the DLC hinted at the next AC (I hope they don't rush it, like I think they did AC Revelations).

I'm sure I forgot some.  But I don't really have a favorite out of this list.  I can see me playing hundreds of hours of GTA5 and Borderlands 2. Even AC Black Flag.    Last of us really isn't my style of gameplay (zombies).  But, I did like the storyline.

Happy New Year :)
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:58:23 AM »
I really only ever play one new game at a time primarily, and in 2013 that was Planetside 2.  So that'd be it for me.  In 2014 I'll probably quit Planetside 2 and get more into Aces High while I wait for (and play the alphas of) Star Citizen.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
Not to spoil the thread or anything, but what about simple box games (non internet related)?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
I'm on my third play through of Skyrim.  I also really enjoyed the last Batman Arkham game.
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
Honestly I find myself running out of gas with gaming. I have Planetside and have been meaning to try it, but learning another game? It just sounds exhausting. Most of all since I only have an hour or two to game on a good day.

I just bought a Steam game for $5, Rising Storm/Red Orch. Maybe I'll try that out. Bf4 has been a disappointment but its the only game Im currently playing.

Joining squads in these FPS's is a pain. Im used to games like AH where you can latch on with different squads while still keeping your freedom. Some of these procedures to get on some of these FPS squads are simply nuts. Its just a GD game! One bunch of 22yo knuckleheads were all calling me by my last name and ordering me around like I was an army recruit.  :lol

Got a brand new LT driving set up Ive used once. I might as well sell it if Im not going to race with it.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 10:57:48 AM »
but learning another game? It just sounds exhausting. Most of all since I only have an hour or two to game on a good day.

Pretty much my experience.  I have to decide every night whether to play AH or xbox.  Or catch up on sleep.  :uhoh

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
Aces High is the only game that does it for me.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
GTA 5 was definitely my game of the year.

Still waiting for Fallout 4 though...

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
GTA 5 was definitely my game of the year.

Still waiting for Fallout 4 though...

I spent a lot of time on fallout 3 I'm looking forward to 4 as well.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »
Wargame: Airland Battle    Best game I've played in years
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
been spending some time playing Vatsim, had to take a break from aces high as I dont play as often and as much due to family and my gunnery sucks so I would get frusterated and rage quit  :rofl

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
Not to spoil the thread or anything, but what about simple box games (non internet related)?

For me it has to be "Witch of Salem".
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38506/witch-of-salem

Big hit with the boardgame club.  H.P. Lovecraft theme. Full cooperative play. Much faster playing than "Arkham Horror" and makes more sense than "Elder Sign". Several plays over the past few months. No wins yet but we're getting better.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 01:41:05 PM »
I spent a lot of time on fallout 3 I'm looking forward to 4 as well.

My combined playtime for Fallout 3 and New Vegas is close to 500 hours, about 300 on New vegas and 200 on Fallout 3. I heard some rumors that the next Fallout game is going to be in Boston which is great because that means the second Fallout game on the east coast, but at the same time I wish there would be a Fallout game in central America, in a place like St. Louis or Chicago.