Author Topic: Poor Connection Who Does it Favor?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Poor Connection Who Does it Favor?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
Oh the years of AW then AW on AOHell dialup 22-56k blazing speeds   :rofl then years and years later DSL Cable, Fiber Optics ..... Man i sure dont miss the old connection speeds p0rN really sucked back then .
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »
I've had warps in 1v1s that have moved the fight either way. Where I have lost is when they warp into a blind spot and I maneuver wrong...complete opposite seems to happen when I win due to a warp.

I've also got (trigger/zoom) lag where I've missed shots because of it.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »
I was fighting a guy last night that was 600 off my 10 o'clock, he then warped to my 4 then 12 o'clock in less than a second.  In the process he somehow shot out my engine.  There was no way I could hit him.  After the second fight I had to go elsewhere as he was doing my head in.

I love those warpers where you saddle up on their 6 and as you pull the trigger they warp a couple of hundred yards to the left or right :P
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »
I was fighting a guy last night that was 600 off my 10 o'clock, he then warped to my 4 then 12 o'clock in less than a second.  In the process he somehow shot out my engine.  There was no way I could hit him.  After the second fight I had to go elsewhere as he was doing my head in.

I love those warpers where you saddle up on their 6 and as you pull the trigger they warp a couple of hundred yards to the left or right :P

usually, that is an indication that your cpu is trying to catch up :aok

if they only warp at that point.... pretty much guarantees that's what it is....

a warper from connection will be warping all over the place.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »
After reading all the post it comes out overall, the fastest connection as a bit of an advantage  but there are times a well placed warp might save your butt or get it kicked.

Thanks everyone for replies.  It answered my question very well.

Ink. I agree with you, the Ki might be the toughest bird in the game.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
Easily explained; transmission loss causes more bullets to be needed to break stuff.

bruv shoots better than I do.

Except Hitech has claimed several times that hit data cannot be lost as its transmitted through TCP.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »
It has been told several times during the last decade and more, that the ping time isn't as crucial as the stability of the connection. I don't know about the US, but at least here the cable is less stabile due to its sensitivity to the number of users and the activity of them. I believe satellite suffers of the same phenomenon. Dial-up can be very playable for both the one on it and the others, if the connection stays stable. But I agree, low ping time really helps to figure out the lead if all players share the same ping.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »
After reading all the post it comes out overall, the fastest connection as a bit of an advantage  but there are times a well placed warp might save your butt or get it kicked.

Thanks everyone for replies.  It answered my question very well.

Ink. I agree with you, the Ki might be the toughest bird in the game.

:aok

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »
If two players are engaged in air to air combat and one player has a real good connection with short, solid pings and no packet loss and the other player has a poor but playable connection then who has the advantage?

Not sure about this but it seems like at times with warping, the bad connection player can have an advantage if he is on defense.

Better connection will have the advantage. Packet loss is the crippler imo, as you simply shoot right through things with no damage done.
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
Satellite is one of the worse connection possible for game play to AH. The issue is not band with but lag time and consistency of lag times. With satellite you have at least 200 ms just in distance to satellite and back. A straight dial up would almost always play better then satellite.

HiTech

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
Except Hitech has claimed several times that hit data cannot be lost as its transmitted through TCP.

Data is lost, and it can be tested.
Go offline and use as little rounds as possible to get a kill, then go online and see the difference.

Not only that from the UK there is a level3.net giving 25%-40% ERR on ping plotter I'm squeaking about to my ISP
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »
Data is lost, and it can be tested.
Go offline and use as little rounds as possible to get a kill, then go online and see the difference.

Not only that from the UK there is a level3.net giving 25%-40% ERR on ping plotter I'm squeaking about to my ISP

It is impossible for TCP data to be lost and hence impossible for hits to be lost in transmition.  You will either be disconnected, or the data will arrive, there is not any other possibility.

The difference you are seeing online vs offline, is simply that the drones explode with minor amounts of damage that players would still be flying with online.

HiTech

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
Satellite is one of the worse connection possible for game play to AH. The issue is not band with but lag time and consistency of lag times. With satellite you have at least 200 ms just in distance to satellite and back. A straight dial up would almost always play better then satellite.

HiTech

Unfortunately it is pretty bad, my house in Montana has Satellite and I am getting 250-300ms just trying to play Aces, some of my other games that requires a solid connection are far worse (First person shooters) where that connection is really needed to be stable when playing.
Its great for music and surfing the internet, but the upload time is such a hinder when trying to play games.

Because of the data lost or the time to reach the servers, I can fire 2000 bullets at a plane I think is in front of me, when in fact the aircraft is already behind me and I just haven't seen it yet.
JG 52

Offline Fox

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 09:41:07 AM »
I fly on dial up, as it is the only option where I live other than satellite.  My normal ping time is around 300.  From my experience over the last several years, dial up usually works fine and is much better than satellite (which I have tried).  

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Poor connection does not favor either player.

A properly manipulated connection favors the manipulator in both defensive and offensive regimes.