Author Topic: Poor Connection Who Does it Favor?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Poor Connection Who Does it Favor?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »

It was only a matter of time before this intelligent statement came up, ranks up there with Santa and the Easter Bunny's existence.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
Yup.  Because realtime manipulation of data streams is very easy to do....just about anyone can do them don't cha know!?  :rolleyes:

Just get yerself one of them there sniffers dohickies!  I read about them on the Internet once!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:16:14 AM by Fulcrum »
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
I play on satellite connection at home and have no problems at all...when I first log on I have to key up my vox to get everything to work correctly...other than that no real lag issues except in clouds  :noid  I don't warp all over...ping is rather high but stable...here at office ping is like 30 but I have serious lag issues and get discoed so I just quit trying to play while at work   :lol
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
IMO a bad connection favours the player in most need of random happenstance.
Ludere Vincere

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
Yup.  Because realtime manipulation of data streams is very easy to do....just about anyone can do them don't cha know!?  :rolleyes:

Just get yerself one of them there sniffers dohickies!  I read about them on the Internet once!

I never said that the unskilled such as you could manipulate connection for an advantage.

You need familiarity with how the game deals with connection and then will have to figure out how to manipulate the connection to take advantage of it.

That time would be better spend learning your planes and techniques.

It's not easy and it's easily spotted by others and a few movies would be all it takes to both ruin one's reputation and possibly result in a banning.

It's not worth the effort and any victories gained by it would surely impact the psyche of the person who crossed the line to gain an advantage.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »

It was only a matter of time before this intelligent statement came up, ranks up there with Santa and the Easter Bunny's existence.

You trying to tell me something about the guy in red or the hopping furry dude?  :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
I never said that the unskilled such as you could manipulate connection for an advantage.

You need familiarity with how the game deals with connection and then will have to figure out how to manipulate the connection to take advantage of it.

That time would be better spend learning your planes and techniques.

It's not easy and it's easily spotted by others and a few movies would be all it takes to both ruin one's reputation and possibly result in a banning.

It's not worth the effort and any victories gained by it would surely impact the psyche of the person who crossed the line to gain an advantage.

Yeah....I guess you are right.  The years I've spent in the networking and information security field writing network intrusion detection filters, performing network forensic analysis by evaluating protocol traces and firewall logs, dealing with large scale denial-of-service attacks for a very large financial service institution, managing application security issues and other, "unskilled" activities would preclude me from being able to offer a informed opinion on this matter.

My bad, Icepac, my bad....

Then again, you basically just agreed with the point I was trying to get across with my (admittedly sarcastic) post   i.e. yes, it's possible...but it is by no means easy to do, can't be done by everyone, would be easy to catch and isn't worth the time and effort required to pull off.  

It would require a good deal of knowledge not only of networking but also of the AH application and how it communicates. Since the person trying to perform this task would likely not have access to the application source code (which would greatly simplify the process) they would have to figure this out through observation of the network communications between the AH client and server.

So thanks for agreeing with my unskilled and uninformed opinion....I'm sure glad you are here to help me!  You rock!  :rock

XOXO

Ful
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:10:34 PM by Fulcrum »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:37:07 AM by hitech »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »
Deleted for quote of a rule #4 violation 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:38:08 AM by hitech »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
Yeah....I guess you are right.  The years I've spent in the networking and information security field writing network intrusion detection filters, performing network forensic analysis by evaluating protocol traces and firewall logs, dealing with large scale denial-of-service attacks for a very large financial service institution, managing application security issues and other, "unskilled" activities would preclude me from being able to offer a informed opinion on this matter.

Ful

When I said "unskilled" I meant in comparison to me as you surely have some knowledge.

Here is my answer to your opening salvo of a pissing contest you cannot win.

I was doing network installs for the government in 1984 and building RF shielded rooms while installing and designing network topography at sensitive installations and military bases for use with proprietary hardware encryption, I overclocked my first motherboard in 1980 by soldering in a marginally faster crystal, I got my MCSE on DOS and Windows NT3.51, and I can replace a 192 bit graphics coprocessor with nothing more than a razor blade and a crack torch.

So yes.......... while you were studying for your first MCSE exam (likely network essentials), I was porbably an engineer spreading networking across low altitude earth orbit satellites while working for Orbcomm (a division of orbital sciences).

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
When I said "unskilled" I meant in comparison to me as you surely have some knowledge.

I was doing network installs for the government in 1984 and building RF shielded rooms while installing and designing network topography at sensitive installations and military bases for use with proprietary hardware encryption, I overclocked my first motherboard in 1980 by soldering in a marginally faster crystal, I got my MCSE on DOS and Windows NT3.51, and I can replace a 192 bit graphics coprocessor with nothing more than a razor blade and a crack torch.

So yes.......... while you were studying for your first MCSE exam (likely network essentials), I was porbably an engineer spreading networking across low altitude earth orbit satellites while working for Orbcomm (a division of orbital sciences).

thats awesome...

you just proved you are the bigger nerd................ :t

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »

I see why its hard for you to make friends. Your like that Sheldon kid from The Big Bang Theory

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »
When did you work for Orbcomm icepac? 1984?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 12:28:02 AM »

So yes.......... while you were studying for your first MCSE exam (likely network essentials), I was probably an engineer spreading networking across low altitude earth orbit satellites while working for Orbcomm (a division of orbital sciences).

Seriously?  You are bringing up industry certifications as proof of your superior knowledge?  Come on man.....  :rolleyes:

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 12:56:33 AM »
I won cub scout awards.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.