Author Topic: How does the Padlock view work?  (Read 834 times)

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
How does the Padlock view work?
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
I've looked for information, but couldn't find any detailed info. Could someone provide a rundown of how it works? When using it, it didn't seem to do anything different than the standard in-cockpit view.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: How does the Padlock view work?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
To padlock an enemy use the Tab key to select them then F11 to padlock. If you lose lock you have to reaquire  manually. To padlock a friendly use Shift Tab to turn on friendly lock then Tab to select. You'll see a bracket on the selected icon.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:45:07 AM »
Padlock will only track a target that can otherwise be seen with the manual system... if the padlocked aircraft leaves your field of view (flies under your plane for instance) then you will have to reacquire and lock it again manually.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline RipRap

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:38 AM »
Padlock will only track a target that can otherwise be seen with the manual system... if the padlocked aircraft leaves your field of view (flies under your plane for instance) then you will have to reacquire and lock it again manually.

Is there a viable reason or benefit to use padlock? If you lose sight of the locked target plane and lose the padlock, why is it part of the game? And to what purpose would you lock a friendly? 
Otto  ~Flying Penguins~

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
Is there a viable reason or benefit to use padlock?
In other combat flight sims padlock is somewhat useful or even necessary because the viewing systems in most other combat flight sims have a quality called "suck" which HTC wisely chose to engineer out of AHII, giving you instead a viewing system that approximates the ease of tracking available to the Mk. I eyeball and swivel-neck in real life.   :aok
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
In other combat flight sims padlock is somewhat useful or even necessary because the viewing systems in most other combat flight sims have a quality called "suck" which HTC wisely chose to engineer out of AHII, giving you instead a viewing system that approximates the ease of tracking available to the Mk. I eyeball and swivel-neck in real life.   :aok

Hehe good answer!
 :salute

Offline RipRap

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »

So what you're saying is, it serves no purpose.
Thanks much
Otto  ~Flying Penguins~

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:50 PM »
Indeed, the snap view system with views correctly adjusted is so much better for SA and maintaining the sense of spacial relations in flying. If you're seeing the con in your up-left view for instance, you know instinctively he is above and to the left of you, something you can lose while using padlock views in other sims.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
Is there a viable reason or benefit to use padlock? If you lose sight of the locked target plane and lose the padlock, why is it part of the game? And to what purpose would you lock a friendly? 

There is no advantage to padlock (which I believe is intentional).  The only reason I can see why someone would want to use padlock is if they are a mouse user, or otherwise can't easily manipulate either a hatswitch or the numpad on the keyboard. Even then I think it would making maintaining SA more difficult.  If you have the buttons or the hatswitch on a joystick then I think manually tracking targets is the better way to go.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
If you are in a guaranteed one v one,,,   Try it out,,
 it feels a lot like track ir to me but you need to remember how high you are or you'll smack the ground.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »
Padlock is nice for viewing films of duels.