Author Topic: Elite  (Read 1390 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Elite
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
I was talking to a sofware developer to who used to work for the company who produced the 1980'S  game Elite.

Apparently there is a new beta Elite called "Elite Dangerous"  being developed :banana:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Re: Elite
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
What's to develop? Used to play it on Commadore 64 and I have a DOS copy right here. All it needs is more resolution to handle bigger monitors, sound support for newer cards and support for newer joysticks. It'd sell a billion copies!
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
Here are a couple of videos of Elite Dangerous's alpha with flight assist off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAJuR5giGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5WYPquCbM

The game will be modeling the entire milky way galaxy in 1:1 scale.  All 1000 or so known exoplanets will be included.

Here is their home page:
http://elite.frontier.co.uk/
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
The game will be modeling the entire milky way galaxy in 1:1 scale.  All 1000 or so known exoplanets will be included.

Here is their home page:
http://elite.frontier.co.uk/
There are a few hundred billion stars in our milky way, how are they going to do that?!
Also there are more than 2000 known exoplanets, but the vast majority are located in the same region in the sky. They represent a tiny little fraction of the number of exoplanets - the ones found happen to be the ones with the conditions just-right for us to detect them.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
There are a few hundred billion stars in our milky way, how are they going to do that?!
Also there are more than 2000 known exoplanets, but the vast majority are located in the same region in the sky. They represent a tiny little fraction of the number of exoplanets - the ones found happen to be the ones with the conditions just-right for us to detect them.
I seem to recall the number of stars for the game being quoted at 400,000,000,000.  Number of systems at about 200,000,000,000.  Procedural generation will create most of it, with known stuff being hand created and placed.

Frontier: Elite, which was released in the early '90s on 16 bit systems such as the Amiga and Atari ST, had 200,000 systems.

Edit:

re: your signature:  Mossie is six times the ENY of the most popular Spit.  :p
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:40:23 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Fantastic!  :aok
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »
Never have played but do they use gates like in EVE ?

Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »

Not in the original "Elite". You had to be beyond a certain minimum distance away from the star/station before you could do a jump to your target system

Just found that on the net:

Ahh, the memories...  :lol

My old copy of Elite, almost 30 years old:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:49:39 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »

Not gates, no.  You'd hyper from one system to another.  While I am sure hyperspace will still be present in the new one, there may be other methods as well.  They have said that in the release the stars in the background won't just be a texture map, but rather the actual stars in the game.  You could point your ship at one and go to it if you wanted.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
docking was always expensive for me . could never afford a docking computer .
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
Between Elite and Star Citizen I am soo glad this genre is being revisited.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 04:40:33 AM »
My husband, Rob (Zeb in AH/AW) and I are both Backers - Zeb first pledged about a year ago and I did nearly 6 months ago - and Zeb (Wrongway in Elite Dangerous) is currently alpha testing and I will be starting with the first round of beta testing, due to start very soon :)  I have already reserved my Commander name - Flossy of course! and an NPC name of Helen Lister.  The individual names of Helen and Lister will also go into the pot to combine with other names for more NPCs.

From what I have seen of Zeb's alpha, it's really looking good so far - can't wait for the beta!   :x

Early in November we went to an "Elite Meet" at a hotel at Manchester Airport - this was a great event and we ended up getting quite involved in the activities.  I have never played Elite before but had often watched Zeb in the old days.  I had never tried it as I didn't think I would be able to 'fly' the spacecraft!  At Elite Meet, they had a version of the similar Oolite, based on Elite, and I tried my hand at 'docking' - to my surprise I succeeded at the first attempt!   :O

We also took part in a special episode of the Conclave recorded at Elite Meet - http://laveradio.com/podcasts/laveradio-conclave-ep05.mp3 - and later I somehow got involved in a Barnard's Star News broadcast!  Warning, contains some 'colourful' language:  :devil   http://thargoidandfer-de-lance.co.uk/bs-news-live-episode-7/  There is a Show Transcript below the recording and I was reading the part of Heidi! NSFW!  ;)  

Me reading my part from the script.

A comment in the forums followed:  "* BS News Live - Where to start? Probably Mianos and Flossy! Some very funny moments in the script and an amazing performance from the lady Flossy. Seeing a truly respectful, dignified lady reading some of that material was only bested by what her husbands reaction to it!"   I could hardly believe I had done it myself!  :bolt:

The evening finished with us recording the chorus to an adaptation of Leaving on a Jet (Space!) Plane in aid of Movember - we all had to wear specially-made moustaches, but as someone forgot the sticky-tape to hold them on, most people had to hold them in place.  I managed to get mine to stick with a bit of spit!   :)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hINaRmDuT0&feature=share - we appear at 1:48 in, on the left-hand-side - and yes, Zeb's 'moustache' is on his nose!!! (The only place he could get it to stick!)   :t

I'm looking forward to starting the beta testing, hopefully very soon.   :aok
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:49:46 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 04:54:21 AM »
  :banana:

I am going to get involved :)

awesome  :banana:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »
It's obvious that gaming has become a young peoples genre.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 07:02:59 AM »
^ I see what you did there.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB