Author Topic: ME-262  (Read 1360 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
ME-262
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
 :airplane: I Recently acquired over 300 perk points on fighters. Got 16 perks for killing some bish niks during a raid, and then 13 killing the bish in another nik raid. (142/144)

I can now fly the 262, but have no idea how to. I am a miser with my perk points and do not want to throw them in the trash bin. Anybody have any advice to flying it before I try and life launches its spiked butt plug up into my arse?

I've never  :noid flown the thing and just a general know how to fly it before I jump into it.

Any advice?

Cheers, Whiskey2
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:30:14 PM by XxDaSTaRxx »
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
Re: ME-262
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
You can fly it in the TA fo' free.  There's usually trainers in there from 9-11pm eastern time.
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
Go offline and practise aiming and flying it there. Stay fast and watch your 6 when you are climbing. Don't HO the plane is extremely weak! It can out run any plane so do not get slow. Everyone will be trying to get snap shots on you so stay least 800 away from planes trying to approach you.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »
Try to find the biggest arse horde being low, unaware, vulching your field. Then come in low and lightening fast, kill 5-8-10 of them then escape before they send the counter jets. Shoot only at close ranges, lead a lot, dont spray much, dont try to attack B17s, especially over 20k, dont turnfight unless youre empty and all alone against a 190, and the most important of all, avoid the head on, what ever it takes.

Good luck.
AoM
City of ice

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
Go offline and practise aiming and flying it there. Stay fast and watch your 6 when you are climbing. Don't HO the plane is extremely weak! It can out run any plane so do not get slow. Everyone will be trying to get snap shots on you so stay least 800 away from planes trying to approach you.
:salute Thanks man, noted.
Do not run.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
Try to find the biggest arse horde being low, unaware, vulching your field. Then come in low and lightening fast, kill 5-8-10 of them then escape before they send the counter jets. Shoot only at close ranges, lead a lot, dont spray much, dont try to attack B17s, especially over 20k, dont turnfight unless youre empty and all alone against a 190, and the most important of all, avoid the head on, what ever it takes.

Good luck.
:salute Noted. Thanks for the help.  :cheers:
Do not run.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
Definitely fly it in the TA before you take it up in the Main.  Get some speed up and go into a dive.  That plane is all about controlling your speed.

Don't feel bad when you "lose" your first one.  As in all things it takes practice.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »
Acceleration is slow until it hits 300mph, then it accelerates quite well.  After takeoff, get enough alt to miss the trees/hills and then go level until you hit 300mph before you start climbing.

My personal rule is don't get it below 300mph unless you've got a very good reason to and there isn't anything red and high near you.  Never zoom climb or get slow unless you're absolutely certain there are no reds around you.  P47's and 51's that are actively hunting you with alt can come in from quite far away faster than you can escape if you're near the top of a zoom climb and/or slow and didn't see them immediately.

Spend some time in the TA getting a feeling for it, PARTICULARLY LANDING.  It doesn't slow down like the prop planes at all, and it took me quite a few sorties before I landed without overshooting the runway.

Then, when you think you're ready enjoy the gut-wrenching fear as you put all your perks on the line. :)  Also, take off with the expectation that you're going to lose it, then if you don't it's a happy surprise.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
Search back a few pages on this General forum, or view Vinkman's recent-ish posts.

He made a good thread about his experiences with flying the 262 for an entire tour not long ago.

From another good post that someone else made in the past, the main thing that stuck with me is that ~300 is (apparently) the ideal speed for doing most things in the 262.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
couple other things to add.always take off from a base at least a sector away from the base that you want to attackdo not up that plane database that is being attacked. generally the best time to fly it is when a huge horde is attacking your base. Take off from another friendly base and go and mess up their hoard. if you are going to an an enemy base stay fast and get away from the field ACK

oh and use your RPM's the plus and minus key to save and conserve gas while you're flying. The plane can fly for a really really long time when you do this.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:04:59 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
Don't do ANYTHING over 25k.  262 is junk up there.  20k or less and you'll be fine, if you don't end up too slow, and SA as mentioned, is very important.  One thing not mentioned, stay WELL THE HELL AWAY from TG's.  A good habit of knocking you out of the sky regardless if what you are doing.  Watch yourself in a dive.  Once you compress, the ONLY thing that likely to save you if you are not too low is going to be the "k" key (default trim up if I recall correctly.  I know it's set that way for me).  You'll have to watch your speed when you do this, because once you reach a slow enough speed, she'll lurch upwards and snap the wing tips off right fast if you haven't adjusted accordingly.  It's what happened to me on my 1st 262 sortie.  Went into a dive, compressed and mashed "k".  Started to get out of the dive, but didn't compensate once she started to level and climb.  Lurched up hard and wingtips came right off. :O  She's not unflyable without wingtips, but it'll keep you pumped until you land her.  I found that the rudder is not too bad on her at low speed.  Could be better, but I was honestly expecting worse. :joystick:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »
Write off your perks as soon as you take off. Pretend that they are gone when your gear is up. If you land the sortie, pretend its a perk bonus. You'll fly better not worrying about it. That's what I do.

~S~ Buck
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
TA or offline, any map that has an air spawn and do a couple tests. Get it up to speed and put it in a dive so you can see how easy it is to compress. After you lawn darted that in get it up to speed and pull hard on the stick and see how easy it is to rip the wings off. Find someone in the TA or drones offline and check the closure rate, it's going to be even quicker if it's a target coming at you. Finally try landing it, I find that to be the worst part of flying a 262. It's a long slow process so you'll want to land a field that is not under attack.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
Write off your perks as soon as you take off. Pretend that they are gone when your gear is up. If you land the sortie, pretend its a perk bonus. You'll fly better not worrying about it. That's what I do.

I like that advice!

From a newbie's perspective (I've only flown 262s in JetWeek in the AvA), one thing you might watch is:  Make sure you're going fast enough before you hit the auto-climb button.  The 262's Vy is much higher than most planes. If you aren't going fast enough after you raise the gear, auto-climb points you down into the dirt.

- oldman

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 06:03:40 PM »
I wish I could watch some of my old films, I'd be happy to donate a few dozen 262 sorties, If flown like a fighter, you better have good SA, or just zoom through a horde at 500 and don't get Ho'd. Doesn't take much aim with 4 taters spudding out of it.
JG 52